What's new

Pinaud Clubman At Hy-Vee

Those of you in the Midwest will recognize the name Hy-Vee as a grocery store. I went into our local store today and had orders from the wife to pick up some disposable leg razors for her. No, I have not talked her into trying a DE on her legs yet.

Anyhoo, lo and behold there on the shelf were bottles of standard Pinaud Clubman, Lilac Vegetal and Bay Rum. I picked up a bottle of the Bay Rum. I may go back for a bottle of the Veg since I've heard so much about it.

This was unusual because even low-end grocery stores around the area carry things like cheap Burma-Shave brushes, pucks of Williams soap, cheap off-brand DE and SE blades and injector blades. The only other place in town that I've seen that carries Clubman is Walgreen's and all they have is the standard stuff.

I was quite shocked that a Midwest grocery store would carry 3 varieties of Clubman.

Their entire "shaving section" is maybe 7 linear feet of shelf space and mostly caters to women. The antiquated-looking plastic bottles of Clubman looked quite out of place on the top shelf above all the sleek and glitzy offerings below.

They're small bottles: not accessible to me right now to check how many ounces they are, but I'm guessing about 3/4 the size of the standard Clubman bottles I used to buy at Walgreen's. They sell for $5.98. I've convinced myself to go back and experience a bottle of the Lilac Vegetal. I like the Bay Rum enough that I'll probably order a larger bottle online.

Their entire "shaving section" is maybe 7 linear feet of shelf space and mostly caters to women. The antiquated-looking plastic bottles of Clubman looked quite out of place on the top shelf above all the sleek and glitzy offerings below.

They're small bottles: not accessible to me right now to check how many ounces they are, but I'm guessing about 3/4 the size of the standard Clubman bottles I used to buy at Walgreen's. They sell for $5.98. I've convinced myself to go back and experience a bottle of the Lilac Vegetal. I like the Bay Rum enough that I'll probably order a larger bottle online.
That Pinaud Virgin Island Bay Rum is what got me started on this whole afterwards shave kick! I was at my local Walgreen's and saw two large bottles of it. Prior to this (and with very few exceptions) I had used only the few classic aftershaves that have been on the shelves for years; Skin Bracer, Aqua Velva, Old Spice, and Pinaud Clubman. The Clubman was (and still is!) my favorite so I thought I'd give the Bay Rum a try and here I am, a few years and about 100 bottles of aftershave later!

Which hy vee do you speak of. Being from the Midwest it's hard to find any decent shaving products in store. Pretty much online only where I live.

This one is in St. Joseph, Missouri. The 6 oz. bottle was over $6 with tax. I liked the Bay Rum so much I bought another one, but it was a 12-oz. bottle for $9, no tax and free shipping.......online. I appreciate that they sell the stuff in the store but just because they do doesn't mean I'll go there and buy it if I can get it somewhere else for less.

Who knows? Maybe the manager or one of the higher-ups at this store is a wetshaving enthusiast.........or at least an aftershave enthusiast.

I don't know whether to thank them or curse them for turning me onto Bay Rum. Along with buying the 12 oz. bottle of VIBR I also ordered some Taconic bay rum shave cream. I think it will be a Bay Rum Winter.

FWIW, I stopped into the new Hy-Vee in Oakdale, MN, this afternoon. They have ZERO (zip, nada, zilch, none, etc.) Clubman/Pinaud products. This thread had gotten me excited about finding this stuff locally, but, alas. One store brand single edge blade (marketed for "shaving; workshop", so, um, probably not ideal), and store brand DE blades (the usual Personna), and Williams soap. That's it for trad. shaving. Everything else is pretty much what you'd see in Walgreen's/Target/etc.

There is only one small chain store here that has any sort of collection and most they brought in for me as a special order. In the average drugstore typically they only have Pinaud Clubman and unless it's on sale, which is rare, the 6 oz. bottle costs about $7.49.

Top Bottom