What's new

Happy Anniversary Lucy

$lucy.jpg

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/s...arensis-google-doodle-discovery-a6745696.html

Interesting article, thanks Tony! I love anthropology and recently sat in on some anthro- courses that included archeology. I didn't have time to take those as an undergraduate, and quite frankly, I wasn't that interested when I was in my 20s. Lucy was indeed an earth breaking discovery. If I remember correctly, Australopithicus aferensis has been superceded by some newer terminology.

Last edited:
Australopithicus aferensis has been superceded by some newer terminology.

Could very well be, and maybe some B&B members could clear that all up if they chime in. Posted this today because I found it interesting Google advertised the discovery in their banner.

Could very well be, and maybe some B&B members could clear that all up if they chime in. Posted this today because I found it interesting Google advertised the discovery in their banner.

That's what I'm thinking Tony and that was not meant to correct you. I had Cultural and Physical Anthropology taught by a guy who graduated from Oxford University (PhD) who is really sharp. Sociology and Anthropology are a combined department here and this professor is actually their resident archeologist.

That's what I'm thinking Tony and that was not meant to correct you. I had Cultural and Physical Anthropology taught by a guy who graduated from Oxford University (PhD) who is really sharp. Sociology and Anthropology are a combined department here and this professor is actually their resident archeologist.

No worries, Brother. I am always seeking knowledge and growth.

I saw the Google banner this morning and immediately thought of the name Louis B. Leakey, the discoverer of Lucy...or at least the guy who got his name attached to the find. Amazing what a random scan through National Geographic some forty odd years ago will stick in one's memory all these years later.
The ability to retain useless facts over forty one years. Top that, you damn dirty apes!

I saw the Google banner this morning and immediately thought of the name Louis B. Leakey, the discoverer of Lucy...or at least the guy who got his name attached to the find. Amazing what a random scan through National Geographic some forty odd years ago will stick in one's memory all these years later.
The ability to retain useless facts over forty one years. Top that, you damn dirty apes!

:lol:

Today was a big day in history:

Lucy
Publication of 'On the Origin of the Species'
Publication of the theory of relativity

Thanks for the article. A few weeks ago I went to the Smithsonian Natural History Museum for the first time and LOVED the Human Evolution exhibit. It really is amazing this big old world of ours and exactly how small we are in the grand scheme of things.

Top Bottom