What's new

My Cella has lost its fragrance

I received a tub of Cella for Christmas last year & although I loved the marzipan fragrance & slickness of its lather, it did irritate my skin slightly, so I haven't used it very much. I thought I would give my Cella another try yesterday morning & opened the tub, only to find that it has lost all of its fragrance & now just smelt of animal fat. Not nice first thing in the morning!

I have older tubs of both Tabac & Mitchell's Wool Fat & an Arko stick that has been opened for more than a year & these have all retained their fragrances. None of the three Proasso "croaps" (red, white & green tubs), which I use most regularly, have lasted anywhere near a year, so I can't tell how well they keep their fragrances longer term.

I must say that I am very disappointed with Cella.

After using Cella on and off for a few months, I've found that maraschino cherry smell a little cloying. So I'm hoping that its scent changes, or dissipates a bit.

Something in Cella turns rancid after a while, it turns the soap a dirty yellowish color and it smells foul. I'm on the last bit of the kilo brick and it too is yellowish and strange smelling, still lathers fine though so I don't know if I should hurry finishing it or toss it in the bin.
When I got the kilo brick I put a part of it in the freezer, it should still be there and still be fresh but I haven't checked it since putting it there.

I received a tub of Cella for Christmas last year & although I loved the marzipan fragrance & slickness of its lather, it did irritate my skin slightly, so I haven't used it very much. I thought I would give my Cella another try yesterday morning & opened the tub, only to find that it has lost all of its fragrance & now just smelt of animal fat. Not nice first thing in the morning!

I have older tubs of both Tabac & Mitchell's Wool Fat & an Arko stick that has been opened for more than a year & these have all retained their fragrances. None of the three Proasso "croaps" (red, white & green tubs), which I use most regularly, have lasted anywhere near a year, so I can't tell how well they keep their fragrances longer term.

I must say that I am very disappointed with Cella.

That is odd. I've had my Cella for 2-3 years, opened, (obviously i keep the lid on), and use it occasionally, and the scent is still just as strong as the day it arrived to my door. I love it my the way, awesome performance and pretty cheap to. I own a stack of soaps, but this one is still one of my favourite classics.

Strange? I saran wrap my unused portion brick and squeeze out as much of the air out and so far my Cella looks as good as when I`ve received it. I also further zip lock it in a bag and keep it in it`s original Cella box away from direct sun light. Let`s hope there is no changes. Sorry to hear about your Cella. For tubs or jar creams I usually put a piece of wax paper cut in a circle to help protect my croaps and creams if I intend to store it long term in order to help keep as much of the air out.

Last edited:
I vacuum sealed my brick of Cella. It has turned yellow and the scent is not as strong as before - but it smells just fine to me. And my brick is 3 years old.

What conditions has it been stored in?

My tub of Cella was stored in my bathroom cabinet, with its lid screwed down tightly, alongside my other tubs of shaving soap. My unwrapped Arko stick (also made of animal fat?) is next to the Cella in the cabinet & that still smells as strong as ever.

Some other posters have mentioned their Cella has "yellowed" over time & I can confirm that my Cella also has a yellow tinge.

OkieStubble

Dirty Donuts are so Good.
From my experience, the kilo brick of Cella I had, turned rancid over a year. I kept it wrapped tight in the plastic wrap and box it came in and kept it in a cool dark place. There is nothing less appealing than rancid animal fat.

Cella was one of my go to soaps before that happened. I had to throw at least 3/4 of that brick away. too many soaps in the rotation then to use it up fast enough. I may find Cella back in my den one day, but I will make sure to purchase only the tub and keep it in the refrigerator.

You vacuum sealed it as one giant block or you cut it up and sealed in several different packages?

I sealed it in two separate packages. The first package is almost gone now. I have made shave sticks out of it and put some in a tub. After each time it is sealed again. The second package is waiting for me!

I thoroughly wrapped my brick in 8 little squares. Over time they have yellowed and the scent has softened, but it is in no way rancid.

Top Bottom