What's new

Mike's Natural Shampoo

Some of Mike's shampoo came in the other day, and after using it my hair came out feeling cleaner than I can ever recall it feeling.

Normally I'll need to use my shampoo (Head & Shoulder's) twice on my hair before it feels relatively clean. The first application of my regular shampoo is needed to cut down on the greasy feeling in my hair, then the second application to clean the hair (or what I thought was clean).

With Mike's I lathered once, (a wonderful lather) and after I rinsed the soap out, my hair felt much cleaner than it would've after several applications of H&S. My hair basically squeaked when I ran my fingers through it, just like a clean tupperware container will squeak. The soap isn't scented although it has Hungarian Lavender & Peppermint in it, and only the slightest hint of Peppermint is detectable to the nose, so evidently the HL&P is there for uses aside from scent.

Since trying out a sample of Mike's Shampoo about 6 months ago, I never turned back to the old gooey shampoo. I have been using either Mike's or Stirling bath soap ever since. My hair has never felt better. Just nice and clean, no drying or flaking.

Nice review. Mike was out of bar and shampoo soaps when I picked up OC&BP, but I may have to try this out.

*edit: darn, still sold out!

Last edited:
I've never tried Mike's but plan to. I have been using Jr Liggets ( and recently got one from PAA which is good too) for the past couple years and occasionally even use a regular bar soap (artisan ones like Stirling, etc) on my hair. Everytime I break out the old bottle of shampoo it never measures up. My Hair is cleaner feeling, less weighted down, easier to manage, smells better are the reasons I use a shampoo bar.

i literally don't think Mike's shampoo bars will ever be in stock again haha. I have been checking everyday for months!

If you like Mikes you should try Mystic Waters shampoo bars. I like them better than Mikes (Mikes is my second favorite). The other nice thing is that are usually in stock

I use Mike's shampoo bars. When they are out of stock the Chagrin Valley Rosemary Mint shampoo bar is VERY similar. I've also tried their Citrus Mint Soapnuts shampoo bars, but I do not like them as much. They leave my hair a bit dry, where my hair comes out great with either of Mike's or Chagrin Valley's Rosemary Mint shampoo bars.

I use Mike's shampoo bars. When they are out of stock the Chagrin Valley Rosemary Mint shampoo bar is VERY similar. I've also tried their Citrus Mint Soapnuts shampoo bars, but I do not like them as much. They leave my hair a bit dry, where my hair comes out great with either of Mike's or Chagrin Valley's Rosemary Mint shampoo bars.

I tried several CV shampoo bars and didn't like them as much as the MW or Mikes. You are correct that the rosemary mint scents of the CV and Mikes are very similar. I think my water and CV don't mix well as I didn't enjoy their regular soap either.

i literally don't think Mike's shampoo bars will ever be in stock again haha. I have been checking everyday for months!
Mike updates his products on his Facebook & twitter as soon as they're available. I've got my fb set so his posts go to the top of my newsfeed, it works well. Ofc I'm on my facebook multiple times a day:001_cool:

Got my mystic waters shampoo bar today. Scent is fairly neutral, lathered much easier than I expected. Certainly left my hair feeling "stripped down" clean (not a bad thing.) Once out of the shower with the normal hair products in - hair feels exactly the same.

I picked up a couple bars of their bath soap as well, and 'morning mint' smells especially wonderful!

Speaking of which, shampoo bars are back in stock for those interested.

Mike updates his products on his Facebook & twitter as soon as they're available. I've got my fb set so his posts go to the top of my newsfeed, it works well. Ofc I'm on my facebook multiple times a day:001_cool:

I've been using my mystic waters shampoo bar for a week and a half and while it gets my hair clean, it feels much more stripped down. I've got a bar of Mike's en route, will be interesting to see if there is any difference.

Mike's will give you this too, but slightly less.

That stripped down clean is a combination of your hair being clean and the pH being thrown a little off (soap will do that). This is why a very diluted vinegar rinse is usually recommended. Not to clean but to balance the pH. I don't use it every time (maybe once a week), but I find it leaves my hair feeling very soft and without that stripped down feeling. The rinse isn't hard - I add a capful (about a tsp) of vinegar (white or ACV) to a 16 plastic cup I keep in the bathroom. I then fill it with warm water, and use that to rinse my hair. You will smell the vinegar during the rinse, but it goes away almost immediately after the shower. My wife has a very sensitive nose, and she has never commented on a vinegar scent. Some people make up a spray bottle but I find this way the easiest (for me). Give it a try - surely you have some vinegar already around the house (no need to buy anything special)

Top Bottom