What's new

Socks. Colorful wool dress socks!

I've been a little sock obsessed lately.
I love wool socks. I wear them year-round. I've been wearing wool work socks for a couple years now near-exclusively.

Earlier this year: I started to replace my "old stock" socks with some new wool work socks. The brand I used to buy had started to get thinner, cheaper and, well, inconsistent with sizing. So I picked up a dozen or so pairs to start anew of a new brand.
I failed.:thumbdown
The new socks looked better, being black, but that was about it.
Within 3-4 months: I had worn holes in nearly half the socks.

I'm now shopping for new socks. I thought I'd get some Argyle socks and ordered a 3-pack from Amazon. I was disappointed that only one of the three was Argyle but it broke a barrier for me. I've never had socks that had a design on them.

And... thus began a new obsession with colored socks.

It took me a while to get out of my comfort zone and go out and actually buy a pair rather than just look at them.
I, like 16y/o buying a box of condoms:blushing:, shyly purchased 4 pairs of bright, colorful dress socks. They were just "cheapies" but my gateway sock.

At work, sticking out brightly between my black (steel toe) dress shoes and black dress pants were bright and colorful cheer.
I got lots of comments. All positive actually.

But I wanted wool. I like wool socks. I found Smartwool socks at a local shoe store and got a pair (with a 20% discount for buying a new pair of shoes). Sadly not as colorful as I'd have liked.
http://www.smartwool.com/shop/men-s...ns-color-block-socks-sw0sw947?variationId=010

I did some searching.
I might have found my ultimate brand with Darn Tough. It's not as colorful as the cheapies like but with a lifetime guarantee (which Smarwool doesn't have at the same pricepoint). I'd never have to worry about socks wearing out again!
http://darntough.com/men/mens-lifestyle/warlock-crew-light

I'm just so excited. I've got three pairs on order due in any day now. :w00t:

Last edited:
Wow, a lifetime guarantee on socks? Practically unheard of but Lands End supposedly has one on all their gear. I've never tried it but that's what I understand. Enjoy your socks!

Lifetime guarantee on thin socks even!

Bass Pro has lifetime socks but they are much thicker. I considered those...

a magnificent sock. I fell in love with them about a year ago and am now on a sock hunt too. stance is another colorful one. I like a company called Fits. makes wool that fit without movement and work well with boots. been around for about 100 years making socks for other companies. their ski sock is something else

I've been a little sock obsessed lately.
I love wool socks. I wear them year-round. I've been wearing wool work socks for a couple years now near-exclusively.

Earlier this year: I started to replace my "old stock" socks with some new wool work socks. The brand I used to buy had started to get thinner, cheaper and, well, inconsistent with sizing. So I picked up a dozen or so pairs to start anew of a new brand.
I failed.:thumbdown
The new socks looked better, being black, but that was about it.
Within 3-4 months: I had worn holes in nearly half the socks.

I'm now shopping for new socks. I thought I'd get some Argyle socks and ordered a 3-pack from Amazon. I was disappointed that only one of the three was Argyle but it broke a barrier for me. I've never had socks that had a design on them.

And... thus began a new obsession with colored socks.

It took me a while to get out of my comfort zone and go out and actually buy a pair rather than just look at them.
I, like 16y/o buying a box of condoms:blushing:, shyly purchased 4 pairs of bright, colorful dress socks. They were just "cheapies" but my gateway sock.

At work, sticking out brightly between my black (steel toe) dress shoes and black dress pants were bright and colorful cheer.
I got lots of comments. All positive actually.

But I wanted wool. I like wool socks. I found Smartwool socks at a local shoe store and got a pair (with a 20% discount for buying a new pair of shoes). Sadly not as colorful as I'd have liked.
http://www.smartwool.com/shop/men-s...ns-color-block-socks-sw0sw947?variationId=010

I did some searching.
I might have found my ultimate brand with Darn Tough. It's not as colorful as the cheapies like but with a lifetime guarantee (which Smarwool doesn't have at the same pricepoint). I'd never have to worry about socks wearing out again!
http://darntough.com/men/mens-lifestyle/warlock-crew-light

I'm just so excited. I've got three pairs on order due in any day now. :w00t:

You might try these guys. They carry incredible socks. They have cashmere, as well, which is better than sex (but I'm from Cleveland, so that bar is set pretty low):laugh:

http://www.customshirt1.com/index.php/menssocks.html

Great links! I am also just starting to break out of buying black only socks in a bulk packed bag from local department store. I'm not all needing just wool, but I suddenly want the colors. lol

Great links! I am also just starting to break out of buying black only socks in a bulk packed bag from local department store. I'm not all needing just wool, but I suddenly want the colors. lol

I love wool. I didn't think I would when I switched but now it's all I want for socks. I used to wear polished leather steel toe boots at work and my feet get HOT - the wool really kept the funk down when I took the boots off at the end of the day and were more comfortable to wear / longer lasting. I've since moved to steel toe dress shoes but despite being shoes over boots: they don't breathe well.

They have cashmere, as well, which is better than sex (but I'm from Cleveland, so that bar is set pretty low):laugh:

I'm happy with wool right now. I'm not sure I want to go down that path and compare the missus to socks ... kind of a dangerous path. :blushing:

When you say wool, I'm assuming you mean lambs wool.

I used to work with a guy that raised Alpacas. One of the things he prided his Alpaca business on was the Alpaca wool socks he used to knit. He even ended up buying a knitting machine to help with the demand. My understanding (not only based on his comments but on comments of other co-workers that bought his socks) was that the Alpaca wool socks are superior in moisture wicking and comfort.

That being said, I never bought them....he sold them at $12 per pair and I could get a package of 3 lambs wool socks for less and being the cheap SOB I am, I always passed on the opportunity....but it still has me curious. They also come in multiple colors.

It may be something for you to give a try

I've had a few pairs of Darn Tough for the past year and they've held up really well. They tend to shrink up a bit in the wash (it could be because I just wash them with all my other, non-wool, stuff).

I haven't tried them for dress socks because when I was looking at them they didn't have OTC dress socks, which I prefer.

When you say wool, I'm assuming you mean lambs wool.

I used to work with a guy that raised Alpacas.
-snip-
That being said, I never bought them....he sold them at $12 per pair and I could get a package of 3 lambs wool socks for less and being the cheap SOB I am, I always passed on the opportunity....but it still has me curious. They also come in multiple colors.

It may be something for you to give a try

Yes. I meant sheep wool.

From a colleague's recent comments on alpaca wool: $12 sounds quite the bargain. Does he sell them online? (link?)

Yeah, Darn Tough are well known for their lifetime warranty, durability, while Smartwool socks especially preferred for wool socks. I always like to wear fun colourful socks at the same time want them keep feet warm. Here is one of them:

proxy.php

Seems to have 50% Merino wool.

I'm switching over all my socks to wool currently. They really are great no matter the time of the year and certainly wick better than cotton ever could. The collect lint like nothing I've ever seen though.

I live in alpaca land here in Oregon. have one pair of alpaca socks. average looking but a great feeling pair of socks.. bit pricey buy I take real good care of all my socks now .

Top Bottom