What's new

Observations after two months with a shavette

Hello gentlemen!
For the past two months or thereabout I've been using a Parker SR1 and a Universal whole blade shavette exclusively.
I was keeping a journal but I've reached a point with my technique where I'm completely satisfied with the shaves I get and the consistency of my results, so keeping a journal where every day I write "everything went well" is redundant.
There is definitely room for improvement of course, but I really like the point I'm at currently.

After Rockviper's suggestion, here are some things I noticed/learnt in this admittedly short journey, in hopes that someone might benefit.
Anyway, here goes my advice to the ones starting now (btw it's mostly a shameless copy/paste from my journal):

• Move to the shavette gradually. Start (and stay) with the cheeks for a good amount of shaves, finishing with a DE or what have you, and after you get a handle on things, move to the neck. I didn't do this, but I wish I had. It would have saved a good amount of irritation.
  • Figure your growth pattern down to the last hair. It's very important to do so, because (from what I've gathered) shavettes are very unforgiving and it pays to know in what direction you're shaving. If (like me) you're transitioning from a DE, be prepared. Ime the way you shave (direction, movements) will change radically.
  • Start with a shallow angle and don't use pressure. Pretty self explanatory. At some point you'll figure out a comfortable and working angle, but until you find it go with shallow. It helps a lot with irritation. So does an extremely light hand.
  • Don't start with atg passes. It cuts down irritation and you may find out it's completely unnecessary.
  • Experiment with stretching. It's important to stretch your skin well so as to create a flat surface for the blade to glide on without overstretching. Try anything and everything. Also, you'll probably have a free hand. Use it to stretch your skin.
  • Alum is your friend. At the very least, if you rub your fingers on it, it'll provide a better grip. It's an excellent learning tool as well (although it's a little painful), to see where you've gone wrong. As your technique evolves, the less it stings.
  • Take your time. While it isn't the hardest thing in the world, it takes some time and a bit of discipline to use a shavette properly. In the meantime, try to enjoy the process.
  • When it's a question of whether the shave will be comfortable or close, go for comfortable. Ie if after two or three passes you still have an annoying spot on which the hairs won't get cut, forget about it. If you keep at it, it will probably end with irritation. I am guilty of this practice, and I've found out that while a missed spot will go unnoticed, a red spot is immediately visible.
  • Lastly,but equally important, keep a journal here or post your issues here. The most surprising discovery. I didn't think the journal would help much when I started, but just remembering (at some point in the day) how I shaved and writing it down helped a lot. It's easier to pinpoint the mistakes. Also there is no chance that you won't get help from this wonderful community, either it is in the form of encouragement, critique or suggestions and ideas.

I guess most of the advice above works for straights as well.
If you have any suggestions or advice or remarks or anything really please post here.

Top Bottom