What's new

Scotch - Getting started

I didn't want to hijack the other scotch thread that's going on so I thought I should start a new one.

I love beer, all types, all makes, etc... I don't drink all that often, mainly a few on the weekends. I've been thinking about changing it up a little. What would be a good starter? I'm thinking on the rocks to start , even though thats not traditionally the way to serve it, or should I start out right without ice?

That's pretty wide open, so you have plenty of places to start.

Don't start terribly cheap (no J&B or Cutty Sark). I'd say you could try Dewars on the rocks on the low end. I'd not recommend Johnny Walker Red, the charcoal-y taste can be off-putting. From there, you could try Johnny Walker Black as a better blend.

If you want to dive straight into single-malts, Glenlivet 12yr is usually available everywhere at a decent price.

This time of year is a great time to get into scotch. Mainly because a lot of liquor stores carry sampler packages of scotches. Something similar to the below:

proxy.php

These allow you to try a few different scotches without having to worry about buying a whole bottle of something you don't care for. Additionally, most good liquor stores will have single sample bottles for sale, usually near the register.

Alternatively, I would suggest finding a restaurant/bar with an extensive scotch list and try a few from each area of the spectrum to see what you really like.

Last edited:
This time of year is a great time to get into scotch. Mainly because a lot of liquor stores carry sampler packages of scotches. Something similar to the below:

proxy.php

These allow you to try a few different scotches without having to worry about buying a whole bottle of something you don't care for. Additionally, most good liquor stores will have single sample bottles for sale, usually near the register.

Alternatively, I would suggest finding a restaurant/bar with an extensive scotch list and try a few from each area of the spectrum to see what you really like.
Great ideas about the sampler package and going to a bar. We have a little one so I don't get out that much to sit at a bar and enjoy a drink, most times it's after bed time that I get to relax and enjoy.

Excellent, sounds good. How did I end up coming to B&B for shaving info and now I'm talking about scotch! ?

BB is an evil maelstrom. It devours you and then separates you from your money. :tongue_sm.

I too would recommend trying one of the Speyside scotches. May be a Glenmorangie 10.

Man oh man, what a wide open question. There are six main "styles" of scotch and they are all different. Then there are the differences within the styles. A buddy and I sat at a bar one evening and ran up a gargantuan tab trying all of the single malts that establishment sold. With scotch prices these days I wouldn't recommend that process at all.

I've never really liked the blended scotches, though I was gifted a bottle of "Dimple Pinch" that is the best blended I have tried.

Single malts: the first I ever tried was Glenfiddich. I think that is on the lower end of single malts but the price is bearable. Someone already said don't go cheap and I agree with that. I think a really nice mild scotch that is a wonderful quality is Dalwhinney. Any of the Macallan scotches and Glenmorangie scotches would be excellent.

Good luck as you start your search.

Thanks guys. I needed somewhere to start and you guys are taking care of that. Maybe this weekend I will get to the liquor store and see what my options are. I didn't want to go there and get something that would start me off on the wrong foot.

Thanks guys. I needed somewhere to start and you guys are taking care of that. Maybe this weekend I will get to the liquor store and see what my options are. I didn't want to go there and get something that would start me off on the wrong foot.

As long as it's not cheap, there is no wrong foot to get started on. You'll see the nuances in the good stuff and quickly learn what region your tastes lean towards.

Glenmorangie and Glenlivet are good scotches to start with in single malts because they are basically mellow and fruity. My favorites are the smokey scotches from Islay like Laphroaig 10. But, the first time most people taste it they will spit it out of their mouth as it has a strong smokey and medicinal taste that for most needs to become an acquired taste.

There are two scotches that represent sort of a blend of all scotch regional differences that are still single malts. One is Highland Park 12 and the other is Talisker 10. I have yet to find someone who already appreciates good whisky to not like HP12 when first trying it.

Single malts are best served neat. Some might like to add a couple drops of water to help open up the flavor- not to water them down. Usually you only want to add ice to cheap whisky to help hide its negative taste notes. Like most blends out there. This does not need to be done to a single malt and would be considered a travesty by most single malt drinkers. But YMMV. There are some that will plump in some ice to a fine single malt to enjoy the masked flavor (from the ice lowering the temperature) come alive as it thaws out. I'm not one of them but I think that all should be free to do what they want.

Edit; PS; I would personally avoid Glenfiddich and especially Glenturret.

Last edited:
Call me crazy, but I'd go crappy, and work your way up from there. Sounds like you're not much of a drinker, so you won't know any better to start on the rough stuff. And I'd def start on the rocks, then wean yourself off ice, to just water, to just up.

Call me crazy, but I'd go crappy, and work your way up from there. Sounds like you're not much of a drinker, so you won't know any better to start on the rough stuff. And I'd def start on the rocks, then wean yourself off ice, to just water, to just up.

It's easier, and much less money invested, to start with small sample bottles.

Also, the progression should be neat, water, then ice. That way you could try all three with a single dram. Can't do it the other way around.

proxy.php

This is a good recommendation, and Glemorangie is the shallow end if the pool. Very approachable, if not that interesting as far as Single Malts go. Stay away from the Islay Whiskies for a while, unless you know that you like a lot of peat or brine. They pack a serious punch in terms of flavor (not necessarily more alcohol) and put a lot of people off. Many of the lowland Whiskies are unpeated, more like Irish whiskey. There are many outstanding Highland Malts that are excellent and approachable as well. Buy a book on Whisky, and compare the tasting notes to what you experience when you taste the Whisky. It will help you figure out what the different flavors are, and what you like.

I wish I would have had this advice when I first tried Scotch, rather than spending a bunch of money on....let just say target practice, plus it took me years to come back again, now I love it

I'm a Glenmorangie afficionado. I find the taste of the various choices interesting and complex, with enough thought. I have tried the "Original", Nectar D'Or, the 15 year old, the 18 year old and a rare 19 year old. The phenolic / peaty notes overwhelm the other flavors in that other sort of scotch.

I like to put one of those tiny bar ice cubes in as the "drop of water" element.

Single malts are a very different thing than blended scotches.

I wish I would have had this advice when I first tried Scotch, rather than spending a bunch of money on....let just say target practice, plus it took me years to come back again, now I love it

I agree with this sentiment. If I had this type of advice prior to trying scotch, I wouldn't have a bottle of Laphroaig 10 sitting in my liquor cabinet. Vile, vile liquid.

Top Bottom