What's new

Halp!

Rough start to the morning. Dropped my Orient Bambino on the floor. It landed perfectly flat on the back of the case. Picked it up and sure enough, the second hand wasn't moving. I wore it all day yesterday, so it wasn't out of power. Tried pulling pulling the crown out and moving the hands to see if that would restart it. No luck. So, what do I do now? Worth getting it serviced? What is it likely to cost? Or should I just replace it?

Sounde likely to be a broken balance staff based on the description. Shockproof jewel settings help quite a bit, but they don't make them bullet proof. Looking at the interwebs I think a repair will approach or exceed (depending upon your watchmaker) the cost of replacement. If you feel comfortable opening the watch you can figure out which movement is in it and probably find a replacement on the Bay for $25 or so. They're pretty easy to install and I could talk you through it if you're interested.

Ugh, I did the same with my Planet Ocean. Dropped on to a wood floor. $525 later and it's good as new. Fortunately it was due for a service in a year or so anyway so I can think of it as an early service and it's good for another 5 years.

Ben

Ugh, I did the same with my Planet Ocean. Dropped on to a wood floor. $525 later and it's good as new. Fortunately it was due for a service in a year or so anyway so I can think of it as an early service and it's good for another 5 years.

Ben
Hoping to avoid a service charge over $20. It's a $150 watch (at most). Can't even imagine spending over $500 to service a Bambino! Wondering if I should find something a little more durable...

I concur it sounds like a balance staff. The repair will likely approach the cost of the watch. At least $100 I would say

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
Hoping to avoid a service charge over $20. It's a $150 watch (at most). Can't even imagine spending over $500 to service a Bambino! Wondering if I should find something a little more durable...

The thing is, automatic watches are precision instruments and not made to be dropped onto a hard floor. If it hits right, even a very rugged movement (like the Seiko 5 series- it is a simple, robust movement) could be damaged.

Top Bottom