What's new

Reload Kit - Suggestions?

Everyone thank you so much for your help! I ordered a RCBS Rock Chucker Supreme kit tonight. Amazon Black Friday price was $259 with the rebate drops it to $250. I figured that wasn't going to get beat anytime soon so we ordered it for my Christmas :)

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
Congratulations to your new AD! Reloading is a fantastic hobby in and of itself. You begin reloading to shoot more, eventually you may shoot to reload more! Feel free to ask more questions as you delve into reloading.

Everyone thank you so much for your help! I ordered a RCBS Rock Chucker Supreme kit tonight. Amazon Black Friday price was $259 with the rebate drops it to $250. I figured that wasn't going to get beat anytime soon so we ordered it for my Christmas :)

Sounds good!

A couple items you might want to look in to.

There's a powder measure stand that raises the measure up about 6 inches over the bench. Much handier than the sheet metal tab that mounts it at tabletop height.

Lee universal shell holder set. The price is right and it does most common calibers. To get them to work with RCBS' hand primer, you have to carefully trim the tapered bottom part of the plastic pieces the shell holder slides on to. Unmodified, only RCBS shell holders will fit. Patience and an exacto knife are your friends here.

Lee dies are a good value. I have dies made by Lee, RCBS, Hornady, Lyman, and Dillon. As long as you pay attention to your set up, most of the time you're really just paying for a name when it comes to dies.

Last edited:
A good set of calipers will be needed too. I have vernier, dial and digital calipers. I use the dial the most, minimal thinking about what it reads, and the battery is never dead.

Don't kill the bank on one, but I wouldn't get them at Harbor Freight either.

I would have to suggest a Lee Classic Turret as well.Great starter press to break into reloading pistol rounds.Take your time setting it up and go SLOW until you get the hang of it.The turret is easily disabled to use as a single stage as well,but I would recommend getting a single stage sooner or later.I keep one on the bench just for decapping and bullet pulling.

Posted this and noticed you picked up a RCBS,great press at a great price.Next pick up at least 2 different manuals,I like Hornadys and Lymans,and read them front to back many times before you even pull the lever on that press.

Last edited:
Congrats on your acquisition, you have entered the door on a great hobby. Plus it will also a proven way to loose weight....wallet weight that is. There is always a list of things you will end up buying.
case trimmer, case cleaners, a second powder scale (just to double check your other scale). Case deburing tool. Etc,etc

then when you think you have the reloading thing nailed down... There is a door labeled bullet casting that will beacon you to enter.
Course you will justify it by saying to yourself....."it will save you money".

Yup we have been there before.

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
This has gotten me to thinking about getting my ol' Rock Chucker out...I have a "new to me" Colt Cobra .38 and I have some .38/.357 dies and a bunch of .38 brass.

[T]hen when you think you have the reloading thing nailed down... There is a door labeled bullet casting that will beacon you to enter.
Course you will justify it by saying to yourself....."it will save you money".

Yup we have been there before.

Dang you, dang you, dang you. I only have a mold for .454 slugs for my old first gen. Colt SAA.

Now I'm gonna have to get some molds for the .38. :biggrin1:

This has gotten me to thinking about getting my ol' Rock Chucker out...I have a "new to me" Colt Cobra .38 and I have some .38/.357 dies and a bunch of .38 brass.

Dang you, dang you, dang you. I only have a mold for .454 slugs for my old first gen. Colt SAA.

Now I'm gonna have to get some molds for the .38. :biggrin1:

The Lee 105 grain semi wadcutter mold makes some very fine and economical plinking bullets.......

Top Bottom