What's new

Reload Kit - Suggestions?

Hey folks! I've been wanting to enjoy the hobby of reloading for a few years now. Christmas being around the corner and as I get bugged about what I'd like, I think a reload kit would be a great idea.

Initially I am considering the RCBS Rock Chucker kit. I'm totally open to suggestions and I would also like to hear what other pieces I should consider adding to the kit (like a digital scale) to make the experience a smooth learning curve and make my life easier.

Thanks a ton as always!

It's a good kit for the low volume shooter (as opposed to a progressive). You'll need other bits like dies for each round and a tumbler with walnut shell. A bullet "puller" is nice to have when you realize things didn't go right. Shell trimmer and gauge can be handy too.

I also always used a full face lexan shield when I was priming. Never had an accident but the thought of one made me use it. At least use a good set of safety glasses.

I started with a Lee Classic Turret. That way, you can do all four stages of reloading without moving the case. Each round requires 4 strokes, but you do them sequentially to save time.

The Rock Chucker and other single stage presses can only do one operation at a time, so you have to cycle each round through the press 4 times.

For a true progressive press, I really like my Hornady Lock n Load.

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
I've had a Rock Chucker since the '70s...takes me an hour to reload 50 pistol rounds. It's a great press for heavy duty rifle rounds though. All depends on what you are reloading the most of.

I've heard good things about the Hornady Lock n Load.

Then I'll second BSAGuy's suggestion.

You can't go wrong with the Lee Classic Turret (that's the heavy duty turret; not the original turret press).

If you are only reloading those pistol calibres in reasonable volumes then you will never need another press.

Lee pistol dies are as good as any and get the Lee Pro autodisc powder dropper.

I prime off the press so suggest you get a hand priming tool, again Lee works well.

A digital scale off eBay, get one that measures in grains and doesn't turn off for a few minutes.

The list of accessories is endless and fun to accumulate.

I seem to be advocating just Lee products but as someone who has READ (reloading equipment AD) I have presses and dies and powder measures ets from all the manufacturers and still use this setup for small to medium volume pistol reloading.

I started out with a Rockchucker kit and wouldn't trade it for anything. RCBS has an awesome warranty. Parts that I've lost or broken doing something I shouldn't have were replaced at no charge. I insisted they give me a price for ordering the parts and they just shipped them instead.

I'm not too thrilled by the breech lock or lock-n-load quick change bushings. I feel they're just something to get you to buy extra stuff.

As someone who has several progressive presses including Hornady LnL's set up for volume reloading of different pistol cartridges, I would recommend AGAINST getting a progressive as your first press.
Progressives are great once you have settled on a load and you just want to crank out large quantities.
They are not for beginners (too many things happening at once) and they are not really suitable for load development.

Stick with a good single stage press or the Lee Classic turret for starters.

Best long term bet is the Rock Chucker kit, nothing short of 50 BMG it can't reload and will last a lifetime. Lee stuff is lower quality, but if all you are loading is pistol, or a couple boxes of -06 for hunting each year, it too is a good starting point.

Stay away from the progressives until you understand each step of the process, then look at Dillon and Hornady. You will still use your single stage press quite a bit, setting up caliber conversions can be $$$ and for a rifle I load 40 a year for it isn't worth the cost.

Start with a couple of good reloading books (Lee, Lyman, Speer, ABC's of Reloading....).

I'm a very low volume reloader, so I opted for a Lee Hand Press. It's slower, but it's very portable. I can sit in front of the TV and deprime/resize a bunch of brass, then move to a quiet location for the more delicate operations.

I'm considering a Lee Turret someday when I start loading 9mm, but it's not essential at the moment.

I'm new to the forum and fairly new to reloading myself. I started buying components last December and just started reloading in the last few months. I bought a Redding Big Boss II press and dies and various components - tumbler, scale, etc. I have Lyman, Lee, RCBS items. They all work great and so far I've had fun doing it. It's a nice way to relax. Right now I'm only loading .40 and .223. Good luck and have fun.

Start with a couple of good reloading books (Lee, Lyman, Speer, ABC's of Reloading....).

I'm a very low volume reloader, so I opted for a Lee Hand Press. It's slower, but it's very portable. I can sit in front of the TV and deprime/resize a bunch of brass, then move to a quiet location for the more delicate operations.

I'm considering a Lee Turret someday when I start loading 9mm, but it's not essential at the moment.

Don't deprime in the house. That black ash coming out of primer pockets is a major source of lead contamination.

The other operations are OK in the house if the brass is clean.

I would hazard a guess most people decap indoors. I have for 25 years. I have crimped sinkers with my teeth for 40 years, too.:laugh: I have a physical with a blood panel done annually. I have never tested high for lead.....With that said, I have never heard depriming to be a lead hazard. I often hear people talk above it from tumbling, though.

Last edited:
I would hazard a guess most people decap indoors. I have for 25 years. I have crimped sinkers with my teeth for 40 years, too.:laugh: I have a physical with a blood panel done annually. I have never tested high for lead.....With that said, I have never heard depriming to be a lead hazard. I often hear people talk above it from tumbling, though.

I decap indoors too, in the garage but not in the house.

Crimping sinkers is less of a risk (except to your teeth) than dealing with primer residue. The hazard with tumbler dust is due to the primer residue. The vast majority of primers use lead styphnate.

Scrupulous cleanliness will protect you but why risk contaminating the house especially if you have kids because they are especially vunerable.

As someone who has several progressive presses including Hornady LnL's set up for volume reloading of different pistol cartridges, I would recommend AGAINST getting a progressive as your first press.
Progressives are great once you have settled on a load and you just want to crank out large quantities.
They are not for beginners (too many things happening at once) and they are not really suitable for load development.

Stick with a good single stage press or the Lee Classic turret for starters.

+100 on this, There is always a need for a good single stage press on the loading bench.
There has been great advice given already, but I will add...build one sturdy bench. Put some trim on the edge so that things ( cases, primers etc) don't roll off.

Get a good reloading book ( the Lyman book is great for beginners). Never...NEVER trust just one source for reloading data. All the powder makers have data on-line. Always double check a couple of sources...typos happen.
If someone gives you a "PET" load, always check against on-line sources...Someones favorite load "may" be safe in their gun, but not in yours.
If you change bullets, your load may need to be adjusted again.
In Semi-auto pistols...bullet design ( and weight) will probably require a change in bullet over-all length (OAL). Learn how to determine proper OAL for your particular guns.
Seek "advice" from others...but all advice is suspect.
If you have a local gun club...see if they have reloading classes.

The recommendation of a bullet puller...BUY ONE, you will use it. Nothing worse that loading up a few rounds and find that they don't function. With a bullet puller, you won't be wasting your components, you can just dis-assemble them.

al in colorado

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
Like others, I have used most brands of reloading equipment with varying degrees of satisfaction. You get what you pay for in most instances. Kits are usually lacking in one component or another, only experience will teach you what products work for you. It is good to learn the basics on a single stage press and as mentioned before, there will always be a use for one even if you graduate to a turret or a progressive. If you shoot a lot of pistol rounds, a single stage will get old quick, unless you are wintered in, in the frozen north and have nothing else to do. The very best turret press by far is the Redding T-7. Expensive but worth it, you will never regret buying one if you do. I'm a big fan of Dillon progressive presses. If you are not ready to commit the funds for a full blown progressive, there is the Dillon 550B, which is stripped down to a turret press, but can be upgraded as needed into a full progressive. Uniquetek makes several third party upgrade parts for Dillon presses and can even convert one to single stage. Why convert a progressive to single stage? Certain reloading chores are best done or can only be done with a single stage press. The Redding T-7 can do all those "single stage only" duties as well. I like to prime and deprime as separate operations, rather than as part of the "progressive" process. I like separate hand held or bench mounted tools for these functions. I like to deprime before case cleaning before reloading the cleaned brass,so as not to subject my dies to abrasive grit left over from the depriming process. All press mounted priming tools are problematic, although they do work. What your budget allows, how much reloading you do and how much bench space you have obviously play a part in the decision making process as to what equipment to buy first. The better the equipment you buy, the longer you will be satisfied with it, and if not the easier it will be to sell. Lee equipment works for a tight budget and will produce quality reloads, but eventually it's limitations will be come apparent and you will want to buy something better. Don't get me wrong,I'm not Lee bashing, I have used and still use some Lee products. There are few if any horrible reloading products, YMMV greatly!

Top Bottom