What's new

New scales for my Sears and Son razor

So, after polishing up my razor that had a broken scale when I bought it.

I'm attempting to make them from cedar with a bocote spacer.

The top scales are the broken ones.

I need to thin down the cedar and do shaping. I'm going to put a washer on the inside with the blade to make sure it spins smoothly.

I am going to finish them with natural wood stain and then clear coating it with a finish I have to get a shiny final coat.

I can't wait to have this project done so I will have more than one razor.

Attachments

• $20151123_101456.jpg
    $20151123_101456.jpg
    22 KB · Views: 80
Yeah, I found that out. I started waiting for my first razor in the mail and picked one up at a antique shop. And I plan on checking for another while I'm there this weekend.

Thanks! I'm going to pull out my sander, thin them down, and then round all the edges. I'm thinking about making a bocote spacer. And I'm considering adding another piece of bocote as well. I think its going to look really nice.

And it will only be 1 pin.

Here is the finished up razor. I'm pretty happy with how the scales turned out. Only thing, I wish I'd have swapped it and done bocote scales with a cedar spacer.

Attachments

• $20151130_111903.jpg
    $20151130_111903.jpg
    30.4 KB · Views: 40
  • $20151130_111947.jpg
    $20151130_111947.jpg
    26.9 KB · Views: 40
Those look nice!!

Please don't scare me again by placing the edge in a piece of wood, I thought the blade was chipped when I first looked.
You could always make some bocote scales when you get bored of these :)
Nice work!

Sorry about that. I had it there for a second and then removed it right away. I should have laid it down.

I am going to need to send it out and get it honed. I thought it was sharp enough, but it only removed the cream and no hair.

Top Bottom