What's new

No espresso in the US?

I was on vacation in the US recently. Although we dined in some pretty fancy restaurants, would you believe that not a single one had cappuccino? I was forced to drink a regular coffee after dinner. Surprising. But wait until they catch on!

Hmm, depending on the restaurant you ate at, I'm not too surprised. We have plenty of coffee shops do espresso. Even a very high end restaurant MAY not have an espresso machine. Coffee is pretty much the de-facto after dinner. You would also be more likely to find it in a larger city (especially in the North) than a smaller city, or a Southern city.

Plenty of restaurants in the US serve espresso and espresso drinks though you'll probably find better espresso at a good coffee shop.

Never assume that you can determine a trend on any topic based on a insufficient data.

Although we dined in some pretty fancy restaurants
...and don't make assumptions based on things like "fancy". There's a taco place nearby that serves espresso.

The Count of Merkur Cristo

B&B's Emperor of Emojis
SLumber:
proxy.php
With 23,132 shops world-wide...I'm pretty sure a "Starbucks" can be found in most cities. :001_rolle

Read More: http://www.starbucks.com/coffee/espresso

"Good [espresso] should be black as the devil, hot as hell, pure as a angel and sweet as love". Espresso Proverb

Last edited:

My wife is a big Starbucks fan. Whenever we travel she maps out the Starbucks on our route. Often it there is no freestanding Starbucks you can find them in grocery and some discount stores such as Target.

According to a radio call in show... they want/need your table for the next paying meal, they don't want you lingering over coffee and taking a spot that could be generating a much better return for occupancy. Diner turnover is key/necessary.
dave

One of the nicest Italian restaurants I've ever dined in (in NYC), had the absolute WORST espresso I've ever had in my life! A candy store in front of one of our local malls, has some of the best.

For point of reference, [MENTION=106459]SLumber[/MENTION], where are you from?

The best espresso I have ever had was at the Miami International Airport. However, I agree, this is a huge and diverse country and while you can expect coffee to be served almost anywhere you cannot expect the same with espresso. Also, it is really not that much different in most places in Europe in that regard.

Slash McCoy

I freehand dog rockets
Most restaurants I would not WANT them to try make me a cappuccino. Rather go to a coffee shop and have someone who makes a couple hundred a day, make me one.

I dont care for Starbucks, but I will say this for them... the cappa you get in Buenos Aires, the one you get in Toronto, the one you get in Seattle, the one you get in Baltimore or Singapore or Ho Chi Minh City or Dubai or Southampton, and the one you get in New Orleans will all be pretty much the same. Consistency is their watchword. That, and being all over the world. Me, I much prefer independant coffee shops, or making my own.

Only places I dont remember ever seeing a Starbucks is in lets see... Mozambique, Oman, Bangladesh, and surprise surprise, Colombia. They have Juan Valdez instead. So if you can stomach Starbucks, you are good to go, wherever you go.

According to a radio call in show... they want/need your table for the next paying meal, they don't want you lingering over coffee and taking a spot that could be generating a much better return for occupancy. Diner turnover is key/necessary.
dave

Applebee's definitely. Other mid grades probably too ( depending on the waiter). At other restaurants, I've spent over 3 hours. Also spent more than $40 for the family too, but I get darn good espresso (and grappa).

I was on vacation in the US recently. Although we dined in some pretty fancy restaurants, would you believe that not a single one had cappuccino? I was forced to drink a regular coffee after dinner. Surprising. But wait until they catch on!

I think it's just the particular type of coffee culture that has existed in the US for a long time. Readily available espresso throughout the country has only been a relatively recent thing - last 30 years or so? Takes a long time for new fangled ideas to filter down to Joe's Diner in a country that is still filled to the brim with mid-century folks.

With the nice (but expensive) automatic espresso rigs available these days, I would be surprised that you couldn't find a high end joint serving espresso after dinner.

Besides, cappuccino after dinner? Oh dear....

:laugh:

-jim

Slash McCoy

I freehand dog rockets
True. American coffee culture is all about the diner where you actually sit down and order, and the wide-hipped midde-age waitress calls you "hon" or "darlin" or "cher" or "querido" depending on what part of the country you are in, as she pours your 5th free refill. It is a caffeinated beverage, not an art form. Until recently. I remember 10¢ coffee. Then it climbed to half a buck. Now it is pushing $5, and what? Table service? Refill? ROTFLMAO! I think we gained a little and lost a lot, and pay a lot more.

Top Bottom