What's new

Dorco direct blade purchase cost double compared to retail

Hello,

I recently has a very disappointing purchase from Dorco USA. Here are the facts below.

I placed a order for double edge razor blade (ST 301) directly from Dorco's website. I was under the impression I ordered a pack of 10 blades X 50 pieces for a total of 500 blades. Here is link to website.
http://www.dorcousa.com/pace-double-edge-blades-10-pack-std301/

When I received my order it contained only 50 blades, 5-blade pack X10 packs. I contacted Dorco customer service about this matter and they stated "Unfortunately we are not able to modify your order for you". They offered me the option of returning the unused portion for a refund. I didn't want a refund. I want what I thought I had ordered.

My order total was $16.91 (free shipping). Dorco ST 301 blades sell for $7.50 (free shipping) per hundred on E-bay and Amazon. You can purchase a 1000 blades for $ 54.69 - $65.98.

Dorco even charges $8.00 per 100 on another part of their website. Here is is link.
http://www.dorcoprime.com/dorco-prime-double-edge-100-blades-st301/

I purchased these from the manufacturer directly there is no way possible I should be charged more than double retail price! They claim savings up to 75% less!

If the blades roughly cost $33.00 per 500 pieces at retail. My order for 500 which I paid $16.91 for would be roughly 52% of the higher retail cost. That number is definitely in line with their savings claim.

I really like this product a lot that why I ordered 500 pieces. I use a blade once and discard after a head, face shave.

I tried to resolve with Dorco then PayPal to no avail. Buyer beware!

Cheers
John

Last edited by a moderator:
50 blades for $16.91 direct! This doesn't match $7.50 per 100 retail, $8.00 per 100 from Dorco Prime, $55.00 per 1000 from Dorco Prime.

Misreading the original quantity is one thing but charging double retail (themselves) price is another.

Cheers
John

That page looks fairly clear that it's for 10 packs of 5 blades each, total of 50 blades.
Says 10-pack and has a photograph of the individual 5 blade packs. Nothing on that page says 500.

The price does seem high I would agree.

It's not hard at all to find a single product on Amazon with one price that is 2 times, 3 times or more as another listing on Amazon.

The Internet is full of such pricing contradictions.

Perhaps you could return what you bought for the $8/100 package. It never hurts to call again as different CSRs can have radically different responses to complaints. If, big if, they are empowered to do something for you then it might be worth another call to see what they might do.

One additional note.
I've seen no evidence that buying direct from a manufacturer is normally cheaper. In fact it typically seems the opposite to me.
Not sure why, perhaps manufacturers just aren't that good at streamlined sales. Dorco likely farms that web site out to someone else.

Perhaps you could return what you bought for the $8/100 package. It never hurts to call again as different CSRs can have radically different responses to complaints. If, big if, they are empowered to do something for you then it might be worth another call to see what they might do.

One additional note.
I've seen no evidence that buying direct from a manufacturer is normally cheaper. In fact it typically seems the opposite to me.
Not sure why, perhaps manufacturers just aren't that good at streamlined sales. Dorco likely farms that web site out to someone else.

If a consumer could buy directly from the manufacturer for the lowest price, why would any consumer buy from a retailer? And, why would a retailer ever bother to buy and stock an item that their potential customers can by for less from the manufacturer?

Most manufacturers have agreements that they will never sell direct to consumers at anything below MSRP. That is, if they wholesale product to distributers that then sell to retailers. If the manufacturers business model is direct sales to the consumer, then that's a different story.

Thus, it should be the case that buying from Dorco is more expensive than buying from a "retail" source.

If a consumer could buy directly from the manufacturer for the lowest price, why would any consumer buy from a retailer? And, why would a retailer ever bother to buy and stock an item that their potential customers can by for less from the manufacturer?

Most manufacturers have agreements that they will never sell direct to consumers at anything below MSRP. That is, if they wholesale product to distributers that then sell to retailers. If the manufacturers business model is direct sales to the consumer, then that's a different story.

Thus, it should be the case that buying from Dorco is more expensive than buying from a "retail" source.
That makes sense. Although, I probably misspoke a bit with regard to Dorco. IF you pick a competitively priced product on their site, like something already on sale, and use one of the discount coupons that are always out there, you can get a good deal there. Should you have to play these games? In an ideal world, no. But it ain't an ideal world...

The second link you give is completely nuts, one page they charge 16 for 50, and another they charge 16 for 100... that's a very helpful thing you've posted for us here.

Actually it's $16 for 50 and $8 for 100! I mean, the packaging is different, but not THAT different. They are different sites though I see.

Are you sure dorcousa and dorcoprime are both officially operated by Dorco? Is it possible a 3rd party retailer bought the rights to dorcoprime and is doing business as usual with no affiliation with the parent company?

If they are both owned/operated by Dorco, then that's just foolish business practice.

EDIT: Looks like they are both linked together, probably legit.

Are you sure dorcousa and dorcoprime are both officially operated by Dorco? Is it possible a 3rd party retailer bought the rights to dorcoprime and is doing business as usual with no affiliation with the parent company?

If they are both owned/operated by Dorco, then that's just foolish business practice.

EDIT: Looks like they are both linked together, probably legit.

Yes, near as I can tell, Dorco USA distributes product in the USA that is manufactured by the Korean company Dorco.

DorcoUSA set up these web sites. dorcousa is the main web site, dorcoprime set up to cater to double edged needs.

Perhaps the fact that there are different packaging and branding is the reason for the prices being so different even though they are the same blades. Maybe the Pace brand carries more weight. Sort of like how Skin Bracer costs about double what Barbasol Brisk costs and they're both made by Vijon.

Perhaps the fact that there are different packaging and branding is the reason for the prices being so different even though they are the same blades. Maybe the Pace brand carries more weight. Sort of like how Skin Bracer costs about double what Barbasol Brisk costs and they're both made by Vijon.
The more extensive 50 count blades OP bought are packed 5 count on cardboard cards in plastic bubbles like for retail display. The cheaper 100 count dorcoprime link blades are packaged in those 10 count plastic/cardboard boxes. So I'm sure the packaging is part of it.

The more extensive 50 count blades OP bought are packed 5 count on cardboard cards in plastic bubbles like for retail display. The cheaper 100 count dorcoprime link blades are packaged in those 10 count plastic/cardboard boxes. So I'm sure the packaging is part of it.
Oops, meant more expensive... [emoji6]

Top Bottom