What's new

So, I've had enough

Of not having enough pens and inks, so I just ordered another pen (Pilot Metropolitan), a converter for my Cross, and 11 ink samples.

You guys didn't think I was giving up on this rabbit hole, did you? :lol:

I opened it up a bit. A Pelikan Lizard, Pelikan 1250 burgundy pen and ballpoint set and 9 full bottles of ink on the way. Oh a Sailor 742 with FA nib apparently lost so will be contacting Amazon tomorrow.

Gentlemen: Being retired, I have no need for more than one pen--my treasured Mont Blan Starwalker, and my bottle of Private Reserrve ink--Chocolat (Brown). I have had this beauty since purchasing it Nov 2008, while home from Tikrit, Iraq, on mandatory leave, as a civilian Federal Employee. i use it for personal correspondence, and my daily 'To-Do" chore list.

The 'desire(s)' for more pens and inks sounds like those of us in the DE shaving forum(s) desire(s) for more razors, blades, creams brushes. racks, etc.

Gentlemen: Being retired, I have no need for more than one pen--my treasured Mont Blan Starwalker, and my bottle of Private Reserrve ink--Chocolat (Brown). I have had this beauty since purchasing it Nov 2008, while home from Tikrit, Iraq, on mandatory leave, as a civilian Federal Employee. i use it for personal correspondence, and my daily 'To-Do" chore list.

The 'desire(s)' for more pens and inks sounds like those of us in the DE shaving forum(s) desire(s) for more razors, blades, creams brushes. racks, etc.

Trust me, I have RAD as well...up to 6 in 2 months now.

musicman1951

three-tu-tu, three-tu-tu
Gentlemen: Being retired, I have no need for more than one pen--my treasured Mont Blan Starwalker, and my bottle of Private Reserrve ink--Chocolat (Brown).

Lucky! I'm retired and I only want a new pen about 4 times a week. I currently have 8 with about 16 bottles of ink.

Some folks here use one acquisition disorder (AD) to combat another. I can see how that could get dicey, though!

All my ADs are on the wane, so there are little or no new purchases for me. I've been selling off pens, ink, knives, shaving brushes and soaps (don't shoot!). I've settled on my favorites and am now trying to simplify my life.

I can certainly appreciate having big collections of things one enjoys, however. I also doubt I'll ever get down to just one or two folding knives or fountain pens, but time will tell.

-Andy

I ended my FPAD by going all out and purchasing one of my truly "aching to own" pens. It was far more than I ever imagined paying for a writing instrument, but since then (18 months ago), I've hardly even glanced at or used my other pens, let alone others I don't already own. As a college professor, "my pen" gets used all the time -- its brothers sit at home unused. I've stopped acquiring inks too, actually. Now I have a small group of favorites (almost all are blue or blue-black iron galls) that I'm content with and use all the time.

I ended my FPAD by going all out and purchasing one of my truly "aching to own" pens. It was far more than I ever imagined paying for a writing instrument, but since then (18 months ago), I've hardly even glanced at or used my other pens, let alone others I don't already own. As a college professor, "my pen" gets used all the time -- its brothers sit at home unused. I've stopped acquiring inks too, actually. Now I have a small group of favorites (almost all are blue or blue-black iron galls) that I'm content with and use all the time.
So, do pray tell what this FPAD curing pen is?

strop

Now half as wise
18 months is a very short time!:lol: I can remember saying I'd never pay $100 for a pen:w00t:, and I've gone as long as 5 years between major pen purchases, but I don't believe there is a cure. My new grail pen is twice as much as I've ever spent, and so far I've controlled it. On the other hand, SWMBO my better half does a pretty good job of enabling me, so we'll see.

So, do pray tell what this FPAD curing pen is?

For me, it was a Conid Bulkfiller Streamline Demonstrator. Might not float everyone's boat, but it ended my FPAD.

18 months is a very short time!:lol: I can remember saying I'd never pay $100 for a pen:w00t:, and I've gone as long as 5 years between major pen purchases, but I don't believe there is a cure. My new grail pen is twice as much as I've ever spent, and so far I've controlled it. On the other hand, SWMBO my better half does a pretty good job of enabling me, so we'll see.

May not be a cure for you. For me, one giant, but very carefully chosen, extravagance has worked. Given the Euro-USD exchange rate at the time, it was truly a significant expenditure; well beyond double my previous purchase high (a new Aurora 88 Large). Another FP friend and I went to a pen show eight months ago and I didn't buy a single item. That's truly "cured" for me. :001_smile

I must admit, I have lusted for this pen, but have held off....for now....

It was more than worth it for me -- I bought mine with two nibs, a fine (which sees 95% use) and a stub (which I use for special occasions like holiday cards and the like). Werner and Francis were great to deal with. I can vouch for their customer service too. The stainless rod in mine had a materials defect that they had never seen before; they took care of it very professionally.

I'd
Kevin, I'd be real interested to hear which pen and inks have become your go-to writing kit.
----
Oops, never mind. I see you mentioned your Conid Bulkfiller. Of course, photos are always welcomed!

Which inks have seduced you?

Last edited:
I'd Kevin, I'd be real interested to hear which pen and inks have become your go-to writing kit.

Larry, the pen is listed above ... Conid Bulkfiller Streamline Demonstrator. I love the unique filling mechanism; the high ink capacity (2.5ml); the interchangeable nibs; that it completely disassembles for cleaning; and the titanium nibs which have enough give (not really "flex") to make writing interesting.

Favorite Inks:
R&K Salix (great color both immediately after writing and after it dries);
Platinum Blue-Black (lovely real blue even after it dries!);
MB MB (old, discontinued formula, iron gall -- so smooth);
Pilot Blue (not IG, but good water resistance, good performance, and not expensive);
Pilot Blue-Black (same as Blue, but darker shade);
Diamine Registrar's (I actually like strong feedback on paper -- "scritch" -- and this ink gives me that in spades);
Iroshizuku Yama-guri (such a lovely feel on the paper and a gorgeous brown which is to die for on cream paper).

I have other inks but these are really 99% of my use these days. I like the top three the best. I would use MBMB more than the rest except that it's discontinued and I only have three and a half bottles in my stash! So it gets used sparingly.

MB MB = MontBlanc MontBlanc? :001_rolle

I like R&K Salix quite a bit. Scabiosa is also nice if you like a dark purple. Have you tried the Hero 232 Blue-Black ink? General opinion is that it's iron gall and I've found it to be quite a good performer and cheaper than dirt!

Last edited:
MB MB = MontBlanc MontBlanc? :001_rolle

I like R&K Salix quite a bit. Scabiosa is also nice if you like a dark purple. Have you tried the Hero 232 Blue-Black ink? General opinion is that it's iron gall and I've found it to be quite a good performer and cheaper than dirt!

Sorry, MBMB = Mont Blanc Midnight Blue.

I've had my eye on the Hero, but haven't ordered it yet. Glad to hear another report that it's worthwhile! Did you get it on eBay?

Sorry, MBMB = Mont Blanc Midnight Blue.

I've had my eye on the Hero, but haven't ordered it yet. Glad to hear another report that it's worthwhile! Did you get it on eBay?
Yep, got it on eBay. Liked it so much, I went back and bought a backup bottle.

Top Bottom