What's new

What ever happened to Eclipse?

We have all seen Eclipse red ring razors, right?

(photo credit [MENTION=85828]tukyou[/MENTION])

Ever wondered why they ceased production? Today I was reading https://books.google.com/books?id=LVoK6-EkjRcC&pg=PA201 and found a clue:

During World War II, the number of manufacturing concerns was further reduced by the concentration scheme which was applied to the industry in order to release labour and raw materials for other work. Many of the smaller firms which stopped making razor blades did not reenter the trade after the War because of the continued shortage of steel, their lack of trained staff, their selling difficulties or the greater profitability of their new lines of production. One well-known firm, James Neil and Company, makers of the 'Eclipse' blade, lost all their machinery in an air raid, and though for a time they continued to market a blade produced by another manufacturer, they eventually decided to concentrate on other products and finally left the trade.

I believe the company continues to make hacksaw blades and other tools. The rest of the link is good reading too, if you are interested in the history of the British blade industry ca. 1930-50. The authors of the case study wrote in 1960, probably just months before Wilkinson-Sword would disrupt the blade industry with coated stainless and start a new round of blade wars.

Last edited by a moderator:
Interesting-- thanks for sharing. Part of the fascination with vintage shaving items for me is learning of their histories.

I really should update that photo to include the whole collection. I'll try and get to that in the next couple weeks.

Also should have thanked you for the info. It is very interesting and enlighting, tho I have a nice collection of these and have sought info on them I have found the info to be very limited.

Sorry I have not heard of the red ring. Looks like a nice razor. Thanks for posting the link as well. I definitely like the history behind the items I use or may use.

Here is the updated collection photo as previously promised

View attachment 618641View attachment 618642 $Eclipse Red Ring Photos 019.jpg$Eclipse Red Ring Photos 020.jpg$Eclipse Red Ring Photos 024.jpg

It's hard to tell in the previous photos but the 2 boxes and the 2 clamshells on the left are differant colors. The clamshell furthest to the left is a dark green and is made slightly differant than the molted brown one to it's right. The box farthest to the left is black and the one to it's right is a molted green.

$Eclipse Red Ring Photos 015.jpg$Eclipse Red Ring Photos 016.jpg$Eclipse Red Ring Photos 017.jpg

The leather case also as a molted like look

$Eclipse Red Ring Photos 022.jpg

A gentle here on B&B sent me one to try. Very aggressive razor. Woowee. Now if they made a mild (er) one I'd buy it. Great looking razor though. Thanks for sharing that article!

Top Bottom