What's new

New Blade Breakthrough

For years I have used blades I could get locally. Wilkinson Sword were my favorite in my DE razors.

I needed some new blades so I got a few Gillette 7 O' Clock black, GSB and Nacet.
So far, I have tried the 7 O'Clock and the GSB. I'm glad I tried these very smooth blades.
After I try the Nacet I'll be hard put to find a favorite.

What works for you ? and, should I try more ...
I have tried Voskhod and Shark in the past but, I really like these new selections.

Right now, I am using a hybrid razor with a Matador Head and a Pendragon handle which is a nice combination.
I alternate soaps...at this time, I'm using Trumpers Eucris and VDH primarily.

Thanks... :001_rolle

Two questions:

Which 7 O'Clocks? Yellow, green, black?

What other blade would you compare the Nacet to in sharpness/smoothness? Astra, Personna Blue, Voskhod, Polsilver, other?

I'm having good success with the GSBs. I've tried the Voskhods but they don't seem to be quite sharp enough and may have to PIF out my hundred pack. I have samples of the 7 O'Clock yellows, greens and blacks but haven't tried yet because I'm really enjoying the GSBs. So many blades.

I see you've tried the Gillette 7 o'clock Blacks. Try the 7 o'clock Yellows. For me, they were much smoother, and last a long while. I use a Fatboy set on #5.

polsilver super iridium seem to be quite popular, I like them myself because they're smooth and sharp. I still prefer feather blades though.

Two questions:

Which 7 O'Clocks? Yellow, green, black?

What other blade would you compare the Nacet to in sharpness/smoothness? Astra, Personna Blue, Voskhod, Polsilver, other?

I'm having good success with the GSBs. I've tried the Voskhods but they don't seem to be quite sharp enough and may have to PIF out my hundred pack. I have samples of the 7 O'Clock yellows, greens and blacks but haven't tried yet because I'm really enjoying the GSBs. So many blades.

In answer to your question, I ordered the 7 O'Clock black.

I am comparing them primarily to the Wilkinson Sword ( black package).
I use these because I can get them at the local drug store.

However, it's easy enough to order online so I was expanding my horizons lol.
Now that you mention it, I have used Astra SS in the past and Feather too. They were good as I recall, but I dont
think they were as good (smooth) as the 7 O'Clock black.

I will try the 7 O'Clock Yellow next time around on DaltonGang's recommendation.

I found the yellow blades good, but I prefer the 7 oc black. I recommend gillette rubie platinum plus ( my personal favorite ). Polsilver SI and nacets work well for me also. Tryablade.com is a great place to order a couple of each brand to find the best brand for your face.

I'm in the minority here, but I actually like to use Derbys. What got me was you saying you use Trumper's Eucris. I had some and couldn't create a decent lather with it no matter what I tried. Exceptional scent though, I'd love to pick up some of their cologne in that fragrance.

I'm in the minority here, but I actually like to use Derbys. What got me was you saying you use Trumper's Eucris. I had some and couldn't create a decent lather with it no matter what I tried. Exceptional scent though, I'd love to pick up some of their cologne in that fragrance.

I agree about the Eucris soap. I use the Marco method and make sure the brush (boar)
is well loaded. I face lather and work it up good. The fragrance will make your day.

Try more if you want to. The 7:00 black and GSB are great blades, but I might be biased because they are my favorites. Like Laird, I like Derby blades too.

I like the Personna Med Preps and Labs. They are smooth and sharp.

OK, I'm going to get some Personna Med Preps as well as 7 O'Clock yellow next go around.

By the way, I just looked up the thread on the med preps vs the lab blues...Yikes !
Guess YMM really V.

Thanks for the help !

Polsilver Super Iridium, GSB, Gillette Rubie platinum plus, Gillette 7 o'clock black, Nacet, Med Preps any of these blades can be my go to and find them sharp and smooth.
The Nacet right now have the best price.

I find the 7 o'clock blacks to be superior to the yellow, sharper, smoother and longer lasting. I had bad results with the GSB's when I first started shaving but have been revisiting them now with better results. I think the GSB's start smoother than the blacks, but a black that's been used for about 2 days becomes smoother the the blues. The Blacks last a few days longer than the GSB's as well.

They all work for me, though I may have psyched myself into thinking that I get a slight sharpness and longevity advantage from PolSilver SI and Perma-Sharp. I used a Rapira, which is one of few Russian Non-Gillette blades, a couple weeks ago with good results. I go back to Derby and Shark pretty regularly. They are smooth and they do the job. For all the hype over them, I was underwhelmed by Feathers. Merkur, 7 O'Clock SS, Astra green and blue, and several others have been worked into rotation with typical good DE results. Nacet is among the brands that I have in various samples but have not yet tried.

Top Bottom