What's new

are tallow based shaving sticks superior to veggie shaving sticks?

La toja is considered by some on here to be just as good as tallow based shaving sticks, but what are some other good non-tallow based shaving sticks out there? anyone try ogallala shave sticks? are they any good?

I have tried shave sticks made by Mama Bear and EMSplace that are not tallow based. Both work fine for me. I have also used De Vergulde Hand shave stick (which I believe is not tallow based) and have had good results from that.

I have some great examples of both — although quite a few started out as pucks before I stickified them.

Anyway whether a soap has an animal or vegetable base, or a mix, may be the least important contributor to its performance as a shaving soap. Even a full ingredient list can only look promising or dismaying, because the exact proportions are not listed. I think it makes more sense to ask how one specific soap compares to another. Or, in the spirit of B&B, try both and tell us what you think.

I think you'll find that many of the old fogies here agree that it's not tallow that makes or breaks a soap.

The Wilkie and Palmolive (tallows) are generally well received, as is La Toja (veggie!)

When I evaluate a soap, the base components are a moot point.

I don't care if it has tallow or glycerin or anything else. I'm judging it on how easily it lathers, how well it performs, and if I like the scent.

I've tried a lot of different soap sticks, but the only two I keep around are ARKO and LaToja. ARKO is a year-round product for me, LaToja comes out in warm weather. I also got great results from Spieck stick, but I haven't had any in my den in about 3 years.

ARKO sometimes gets mixed with PSOs or creams for the sake of experiment. I've never found any ARKO-mix that I wouldn't repeat again, but most often, I use it as a standalone.

LaToja on the other hand, is always Superlathered with LaToja cream, just because I have both on hand. If I had to make do with one or the other, that would be fine.

As for Ogallalalalala ... I have one around here somewhere. I haven't used it in about 5 years, but I remember it as being ridiculously easy to lather and provided excellent cushion and glide. Although I generally don't like Bay Rum, this particular soap stick was very pleasant and mild enough that it didn't sting like most Bay Rums do. I'd gladly buy another one, but if they have a flavor that is Unscented or Traditional Barbershop scent, I'd rather have that instead of their many variations on Bay Rum.

I melted some VDH into a twist stick, and it works great. FWIW, I use many soaps but keep the VDH for nostalgia, it was my first!

As a stick form, I would always be looking for a tallow based soap and I would assume most sticks are. You need something tough when you're dragging soap across your whiskers and most sticks I've come across are a nice hard tallow formulation.

I only have a couple of sticks and use those sometimes for travel. Tabac and a stick of DR Harris 'Marlborough'. Both make good lathers (though Tabac is much better in my opinion) and they can last a while (which is good for extended trips away)

Avoid the Erasmic veggie stick. Awful. The other sticks that I have used and enjoy are tallow based and perform well (Euro Palmolive, Speick, BEA, Lea, Arko). I cannot recall another great veggie stick aside from La Toja.

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
There are good tallow soaps and bad tallow soaps
There are good veggie soaps and bad veggie soaps

Maybe I say this very often but your local water will play a big role on how a soap will lather. Something like LaToja stick is difficult but not impossible in hard water. Soft water, LaToja is a charm. The LaToja shave cream is great with hard or soft water.

After you determined if you need something that performs well in hard or soft water, it's a matter of scent and finding what works for you.

I try to review those #shavesticks but I am not done yet. Those are mainly tested with Hard water: http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php/310894-Shave-Sticks-Review-Project

Top Bottom