What's new

williams shaving soap

I know this tallow based soap is not very popular on here because some have trouble getting a good lather out of it, but has anyone on here tried using this soap as a shave stick? Do you get decent lather this way with this particular soap?

I love using it as a stick. I grated a puck and pressed it into a cleaned empty deodorant twist-up container. It loads on a wet face easily with just a couple of dips in warm water. I get a dense slick lather out of it. I don't go for incorporating a lot of air into my lather, so you might be disappointed if you want to look like the Cella man, but for me, high density is the way to go.

I love using it as a stick. I grated a puck and pressed it into a cleaned empty deodorant twist-up container. It loads on a wet face easily with just a couple of dips in warm water. I get a dense slick lather out of it. I don't go for incorporating a lot of air into my lather, so you might be disappointed if you want to look like the Cella man, but for me, high density is the way to go.

I got williams at my local supermarket. I will pick up a couple of pucks based on your comments. Do you feel williams makes a better lather when used as a shaving stick versus other ways of trying to make a lather with williams?

when I first started shaving soap the first thing I got was Williams. Didn't like it then, but have acquired a healthy respect for it. At under $2/puck it is a tremendous bargain.

I know how lather modern Williams and it's my 5 day's a week soap. I know that there's lots better quality shaving soap, but Williams gave me great results, it's cheap and i can get get it almost every where. Check in the brother hood forum for the threads of the vez.

Sometimes I `d just rub the whole Williams`s puck on my face. I find this way a nice change in pace over bowl lathering. Too bad they`ve stopped making the Williams stick in South Africa recently.

I got williams at my local supermarket. I will pick up a couple of pucks based on your comments. Do you feel williams makes a better lather when used as a shaving stick versus other ways of trying to make a lather with williams?

Sorry to take so long to reply, I got swallowed up by family stuff and Thanksgiving. I think it's not so much that it's better, but rather that it's different. Making big changes can be helpful working out the bugs in a product. It seems like some of the big issues with Williams come from loading too little or getting too much water in too early. Applying directly to the face makes it pretty easy to get a lot of soap on. Also, if you're face lathering, it's really hard to use too much water. If you do, you'll just wind up with slop flying everywhere. Just lathering off a well soaked puck as Vez shows in his video is pretty easy and reliable too.

I've been 3017ing a puck of Williams myself as of late. I grated it up and pressed it into my mug so it would fit. Soak before every use and load in the mug then facelather. I have never tried using it as a shave stick, but I think it would be too hard of a soap to use like that without grating or soaking for me. Just my $.02.

I have no trouble getting lather but I shimmed it into the mug with some Arko which is a very soft soap. It may be helping with the lather. But the lack of the Arko scent tells me that most of the lather is Williams. It takes longer to get lather but it is a super shave. Lots of cushion.

I've never knew Williams had a spotty lathering record until I joined B&B. Just work on Williams either stick or face lather and you should be fine.

Top Bottom