What's new

About to buy vintage. help

I got a guy across the great blue that restores razors and sends me all his work exclusively to choose from I bought 3 from him. They are all really shave ready. The next one I want is a crown and sword new in box engraved 6/8. It's absolutely gorgeous..extra hollow ground.. no gold wash but still very nice. He wants 180$ for it honed stropped ready to rock. Is this guy ripping me off hahaha??? I trust him I just want to be sure. Everything else I bought everyone said it was a good price and it was everything I he described and wanted. Anyone know about crowns and swords? Are they aggressive? Is it worth 180$ new in box shave ready?

He also has one that's gold washed new in box shave ready for 350$ I really like is that a good price too?

Check recent sales and consistent offering prices.

Im not sure I understand aggressive in terms of straights, though. Can you explain.

Justin,

you seem to be a bit nervous about pricing and thats understandable. As such, i would recommend not jumping on anything you absolutely won't regret seeing for a half or third of that price tomorrow or months from now.

typically, straight razors go for higher prices for a multitude of reasons and some of them aren't easily identifiable to the non-buyer.. for example some brands get name recognition beyond what others get and therefore command market price increases. sometimes its a NOS issue or blade width or shape, interesting tang or spine, scales.. maybe someone is a collector of that brand and they need the last 2 examples to complete their collection.

sometimes $50-$500 here or there doesn't matter because you have no idea the next time you will see that blade and really like it and want it.

you never know why something is worth it to others, just know once the prices start going up for nice items, they usually don't come down.

while ERN is a respected brand from solingen, I don't usually see people in bidding wars to get one. doesn't mean a nice example isn't worth it.

Check recent sales and consistent offering prices.

Im not sure I understand aggressive in terms of straights, though. Can you explain.

Idk I'm a beginner.. certain blades the weight and ground like a wedge can be aggressive of lack of better word

Justin,

you seem to be a bit nervous about pricing and thats understandable. As such, i would recommend not jumping on anything you absolutely won't regret seeing for a half or third of that price tomorrow or months from now.

typically, straight razors go for higher prices for a multitude of reasons and some of them aren't easily identifiable to the non-buyer.. for example some brands get name recognition beyond what others get and therefore command market price increases. sometimes its a NOS issue or blade width or shape, interesting tang or spine, scales.. maybe someone is a collector of that brand and they need the last 2 examples to complete their collection.

sometimes $50-$500 here or there doesn't matter because you have no idea the next time you will see that blade and really like it and want it.

you never know why something is worth it to others, just know once the prices start going up for nice items, they usually don't come down.

while ERN is a respected brand from solingen, I don't usually see people in bidding wars to get one. doesn't mean a nice example isn't worth it.

This makes a lot of sense.. for 100$ less then 350$ I can get a gold wash theirs isaard or something.. idk are the oldies generally better quality then the new ones? I could see buying a vintage for less then a best dovo shave ready to save money. But to spend more on a vintage.then a higher end new razors doesn't make sense.. Is there an actual difference in feel and quality or is it just because they're collectible?? Is there any where I can look up different vintages and get a base price?

Ern razors are a well respected Solingen made razor brand, http://strazors.com/index.php?id=171&doc=carl_friedrich_ern_solingen_wald_ .

I just about spilled my coffee when I read the question on them being aggressive. I believe all straight razors are "aggressive" as the only thing separating the blade and user from disaster is the users competence or incompetence as the case may be.

Bob

Sorry I'm kind of new sorry for lack of better word I mean that if the blade is heavier and its wedge ground is it rougher to shave with?? I'm confusing my self too.. the blade I want is a whooping 63 grams average 6/8 blade how would it compare to my super light stobbard and kendall? I feel like it would be easier because I don't have to push down as much. The weight of the blade will do the work so I will have less irritation?? I don't know maybe I'm rethinking it all too much..

Sorry I'm kind of new sorry for lack of better word I mean that if the blade is heavier and its wedge ground is it rougher to shave with?? I'm confusing my self too.. the blade I want is a whooping 63 grams average 6/8 blade how would it compare to my super light stobbard and kendall? I feel like it would be easier because I don't have to push down as much. The weight of the blade will do the work so I will have less irritation?? I don't know maybe I'm rethinking it all too much..

Ok, I was kind of wondering. All the different grinds have a slightly different feel when you are using them. That is not a good or bad thing but just is and which grind you like is a personal preference. I think beginners sometimes like the feel of a heavier blade better.

Even with a light razor if it really is shave ready you should not have to push it. If you are having to put pressure on the blade it may be a bit dull add to that a wrong angle and you wind up with irritation. Any grind if properly shave ready should give a smooth shave that is irritation free.

The only way to find out if you prefer a heavier grind is to try one out and see.

Bob

The next one I want is a crown and sword new in box engraved 6/8. It's absolutely gorgeous..extra hollow ground.. no gold wash but still very nice. He wants 180$ for it honed stropped ready to rock.
So, let's put it another way.
If you look at a new razor of equivalent size and same origin. Say a Dovo. The price would be about that.
My Dovo was actually not quite shave ready when I bought it, so depending on your luck you might still have to send it out for a finishing touch up.

Slash McCoy

I freehand dog rockets
In a manner of speaking, some razors do act more "aggressively" than others, though it is still not really a corect term in classifying straights. A very thin full hollow for instance, can have a lot more "gotcha" than a half hollow that is not as thin. A thin wedge can be honed to a much finer bevel angle and have more cutting power than a smaller thicker wedge. But these differences are defined and indicated by razor type, and not brand or model like a DE.

Agree with others. A fair price is a price that the seller is satisfied to receive in return for the razor, and the buyer is satisfied to pay for the razor. It is a good idea to see what others are paying for same or similar razors, but that is not the final word. Its all about how badly you want that particular razor and how willing you are to settle for an alternative.

I will say this, though. We are not talking about a necessity of life. We are talking about a luxury item. If you are a little short on discretionary funds for purchases of this nature, dont be afraid to give it a pass. Honestly, with just three good razors, you are set for life. Says the guy with about 10 lbs of razors lol.

So, let's put it another way.
If you look at a new razor of equivalent size and same origin. Say a Dovo. The price would be about that.
My Dovo was actually not quite shave ready when I bought it, so depending on your luck you might still have to send it out for a finishing touch up.

No I buy from the guy all the time he's great

Never heard of a stobbard & kendall. Pic?

It's dame Stoddard and Kendall it.says Boston HUB on it. Got it for 30$ shave ready etsy. It's extra hollow.5/8 I believe. $20151122_213319.jpg
$20151122_213339.jpg
$20151122_213402.jpg

Does anyone think a good quality razor from back in the day are better quality then say a new dovo? I'd rather ape d the same amount as a new dovo but get a excellent shape vintage just because it's cool its old and collectable its not just some razor anyone can order at any time..

Slash McCoy

I freehand dog rockets
The average vintage is better by far than an entry level Dovo "Best". However the nicer Dovos are pretty good unless you get the occasional lemon. I like the Bismarcks and similar Dovos, and I think highly of the Prima Klang. There are few vintage blades to be found that are similar to these. But I like vintage, too. I love scoring something nice on the bay for ten bucks and bringing it back to life. Vintage has class. It is cool to be shaving with a razor over 100 years old and to know that it might well be shaving 100 years from now. And the average vintage razor is way cheaper than the average new razor.

Does anyone think a good quality razor from back in the day are better quality then say a new dovo? I'd rather ape d the same amount as a new dovo but get a excellent shape vintage just because it's cool its old and collectable its not just some razor anyone can order at any time..
Nothing wrong with the Dovo, but if you want one, you can get one anytime. A vintage in mint shape however is not that common.
As for the quality of current razors vs. yesteryear's, there is no definite answer. On one hand there has been progress in metallurgy and some stronger, stainless steel are now available, however the savoir-faire for razor making is not as prevalent. The process still include manually step during the tempering and grinding and the expertise there can not be what it used to be, considering how few are made.

Top Bottom