What's new

My dog has fleas!

Permetherin is highly toxic to cats, and unfortunately that's whats in a lot of dog collars, sprays, foggers and outdoor treatments, especially the over the counter crap.

Permethrin is only toxic to cats while it is wet.

Our dog brought fleas into the house. We started treating all the animals, and then all the surfaces with permethrin. After the dog and 2 cats were treated, we got attacked. I walked around with bug spray on my legs for a couple of weeks. We treated the house with a spray that was residual twice, and it dealt with everything.

Make sure you treat everything, or the fleas in the untreated areas will stick around for way too long.

I've been through this after my wife took our big dog on a "play date" with another dog on a farm. Both our dogs and all 4 of our cats (at the time) got the damned things and they were in our bed. For awhile I amused myself examining dead fleas under my binocular microscope: hideous creatures indeed under magnification!

In our experience, any kind of "over-the-counter" flea riddance products were a waste of money. We got all the animals on Revolution and within a month or so the fleas disappeared and we didn't have any more issues. Baths and bomb's won't do any good. You have to stop the cycle of the fleas on the animals, themselves. All the cats have died since then, but we always keep our current 6 indoor/outdoor dogs on Revolution and have had no further problems.

Frontline has stopped working at all on fleas in my area. We switched to Trifexis, an all-in-one heart worm and flea medication that so far is effective, but unfortunately it costs a fortune.

This, monthly treatment by mouth. I don't feel like it's overly expensive though. We get 6 months worth for about 80 bucks I believe, and it's by far the most effective thing we have used on both our dogs.

fleas and ticks are a real pain where I live. I never imagined that it would take so much effort to keep them away!

Even after using expensive preventive measure(collars, spot on) I am not able to keep ticks off of my dog.

Now it's got to the point that they are freely roaming around in my house and I literally don't know what to do about it.

I have tried almost everything. But these ticks are hardy creatures.

Has anyone used diatomaceous earth food carpet and furniture?
I have ready about it, but was afraid that my cats or dog would breathe it in. I think it can harm them if they sniff it up. Although if you keep em out of the area and then vacuum I guess that would work.

Just took my dog to the vet a couple days ago. She gave us Trifexis (heart worm + flea, once a month). Was around 20$ for 1 month. She said it would be around 80$ for 6 months. Shavehappy said this before me, but I just wanted to reaffirm that it was around this price here as well. :thumbup1:

For the eggs, she told us to get boric acid, sprinkle it on the carpet/rugs, and vacuum it up. At least once a day. She said the life cycle for fleas is around 3 months. Gonna be a pain, especially with Christmas tree in the house.

Get the pets on flea/tick medication (topical or pills). If it's a mild case that may take care of it.

If it doesn't, then spray carpets and rugs (and around them) with an Insect Growth Regulator (IGR). You can get this on Amazon easily and cheaply. You may need a decent pressurized sprayer, however -- a little water bottle sprayer probably won't do it. It's harmless to animals. Spray and then take the animals out for an hour or two until the spray dries. When the insects walk over the dry IGR, they absorb a compound that prevents them from achieving sexual maturity and reproducing. IGR stays active for 28 days (as long as it doesn't get wet), so you break the reproductive cycle off the animals too. Previous owners of our house left us with carpet beetles -- took care of them by ourselves using IGR primarily and it is recommended for flea control.

Last edited:
I have treated the dog and cat with a topical. I did use DE on the carpets and vacuumEd it up after 24 hours. So far we haven't seen anything. The worse part is the waiting to see if they come back. We are also vacuuming everyday.
Hoping for the best!

John, don't know if you'll have to look for options in the future (fingers crossed that you don't), but I was just at the vet the other day and she recommended comfortis for 3-4 months. That stuff is absolutely amazing. Gave the cat the pill, 20 minutes later all the fleas were dead and the one pill is good for 30 days.

Thanks for the update. I'm hoping that everything will be fine but it it good to know what works.

Top Bottom