What's new

DE blades and traveling

Just FYI for those of you that don't check your bag at the airport and use only a carry-on bag. If you're planning to fly out of SNA (John Wayne/Orange County) I suggest leaving your DE blades at home. Mine were promptly confiscated going through security. I gave the TSA a bit of attitude about it because, quite honestly, I was irritated. I told her that it's never a problem in Seattle (I travel from Seattle to southern CA frequently) and she prompty countered with, "well it's not ok here". She was a bi** about it, too. I had a few other things I wanted to say but I bit my tongue. I know she doesn't make the rules but these TSA people have really developed a serious power trip. You have to decant any liquids, creams, or gels into a container that's 3 oz. or less. And since they insist on you putting all your toiletries into a quart-sized, transparent ziplock bag, you can forget about taking your nice expensive leather dopp kit with you anywhere. What's the use of a dopp kit if you can't travel with it?

Why would the rules on what you can and can't take on a plane be different from one airport to another?

Traveling anywhere post 9-11 has really become more trouble than it's worth. The TSA rules are totally overkill and they all have attitudes to boot. Makes you just wanna stay home! :mad:

End of rant. Thank you.

I had been flying weekly with a DE razor as a carry on for the past year without any problems. I never took additional blades, just the one in the razor. However in the last month, twice I was pulled out of line, and the blade was removed, and then thrown away. I have since gone to just carrying a injector for air travel. Here is what the TSA states, and I believe a safety razor is allowed and specifically included.

Item
Carry-on
Checked
Box Cutters
No
Yes
Ice Axes/Ice Picks
No
Yes
Knives - except for plastic or round bladed butter knives
No
Yes
Meat Cleavers
No
Yes
Razor-Type Blades - such as box cutters, utility knives, razor blades not in a cartridge, but excluding safety razors.
No
Yes
Sabers
No
Yes
Scissors - metal with pointed tips and blades shorter than four inches
Yes
Yes
Swords
No
Yes
NOTE: Any sharp objects in checked baggage should be sheathed or securely wrapped to prevent injury to baggage handlers and inspectors.

I had been flying weekly with a DE razor as a carry on for the past year without any problems. I never took additional blades, just the one in the razor. However in the last month, twice I was pulled out of line, and the blade was removed, and then thrown away. I have since gone to just carrying a injector for air travel. Here is what the TSA states, and I believe a safety razor is allowed and specifically included.

Item
Carry-on
Checked
Box Cutters
No
Yes
Ice Axes/Ice Picks
No
Yes
Knives - except for plastic or round bladed butter knives
No
Yes
Meat Cleavers
No
Yes
Razor-Type Blades - such as box cutters, utility knives, razor blades not in a cartridge, but excluding safety razors.
No
Yes
Sabers
No
Yes
Scissors - metal with pointed tips and blades shorter than four inches
Yes
Yes
Swords
No
Yes
NOTE: Any sharp objects in checked baggage should be sheathed or securely wrapped to prevent injury to baggage handlers and inspectors.

It would seem that this revolves around what TSA defines as a safety razor.

Ok, as gets brought up in the other threads (I think there are five this month) DE blades are a no-no in carry-on luggage. Why? Because they're a blade that is not secured in a cartridge and the TSA doesn't like that. You can bring as many DE razors as you like, but the blades have to be in checked luggage or mailed/purchased to/at your destination.

Unfortunately, this is what modern air travel has come to. We either deal with it or stay home. And based on my experiences lately, it's easier to stay home.

Unfortunately, this is what modern air travel has come to. We either deal with it or stay home. And based on my experiences lately, it's easier to stay home.

+1, or take some extra time off and drive. You would be surprised what you miss going to the place when you fly.

R

Ok, as gets brought up in the other threads (I think there are five this month) DE blades are a no-no in carry-on luggage. Why? Because they're a blade that is not secured in a cartridge and the TSA doesn't like that. You can bring as many DE razors as you like, but the blades have to be in checked luggage or mailed/purchased to/at your destination.

*Keyword purchased. Sounds like opportunity knockin'! :wink:

Ciao,
chop-chop

I agree, if I can drive there in a day or two, even wiht the stupid price of gas then it is MUCH less hassle than flying.

I'm sorry but I don't think it is right to charge extra to check baggage if you will be required to carry certain items in your checked luggage.

I totally agree that these TSA folks have really bad attitudes. I'm sure that they meet with a lot of nasty folks (can you blame them) but you know what... they signed up for that job.

I wonder what happens to the stuff that gets confiscated. There might be some good straight razors floating out there.

-80s

I started a very similar thread a few months ago and, although I agree that one could validly debate what constitutes a "safety razor," if you risk carrying DE blades through security and are caught, you're going to end up debating the issue with the TSA agent and you will always lose. There's no way they are going to knowingly let you on the plane with a loose sharp razor blade.

This is very annoying to me as well as I dont like to check luggage, especially when I am travelling on business, so I have to do without my DE blades or buy a small pack pack locally at the destination, but that's just the way it is. I now try to bring one or two a BIC Metals with me as a pretty good substitute. Frankly, the more I think about it, some terrorist or other nutjob could undoubtably create a device to hold a DE blade in such a manner to do a heckuva lot of damage to someone. I'm sure there are other things that TSA lets on that are potentially even better weapons, but they have drawn this "line in the sand," so to speak, and I am going to respect that.

The TSA regs are just another example of the ambiguity of rules and regulations propounded by a government agency. If lawyers can't figure out what a government entity means, then a TSA agent sure the hell won't be able to either.

I'm heading to Miami next week and I know there's a Walgreens right up the street from where I will be. Given the reviews of the blades, I'll stop there, buy a pack and then leave them at my fathers for future use. Based on my history of being pulled out line by TSA agents, I'd rather not give them more reasons to destroy my usually excellent carry on packing job.

The TSA regs are just another example of the ambiguity of rules and regulations propounded by a government agency. If lawyers can't figure out what a government entity means, then a TSA agent sure the hell won't be able to either.

I'm heading to Miami next week and I know there's a Walgreens right up the street from where I will be. Given the reviews of the blades, I'll stop there, buy a pack and then leave them at my fathers for future use. Based on my history of being pulled out line by TSA agents, I'd rather not give them more reasons to destroy my usually excellent carry on packing job.

Take a pack or two of your favorites and mail them to your father.

The general thought on these boards was that carrying blades on a flight is a no-no. (I don't think that the TSA personnel see these often enough to be consistent in the way the handle them.) I think the agent made the proper determination, but I still feel bad about your situation :001_smile. The real problem is that these measures seem to be more for appearances and reactionary than for really keeping us safe.

The general thought on these boards was that carrying blades on a flight is a no-no. (I don't think that the TSA personnel see these often enough to be consistent in the way the handle them.) I think the agent made the proper determination, but I still feel bad about your situation :001_smile. The real problem is that these measures seem to be more for appearances and reactionary than for really keeping us safe.

Very true ... good point.

Last time I traveled, it was alright. I don't know if the TSA girl knew what the hell my razor was. They did toss out my shaving cream though. Oversight on my part.

Top Bottom