What's new

A reliable butane pipe lighter?

Hello fellows,
I smoke pipes in case you were wondering. I looked through the threads and saw something about 2 years ago but wanted updates. Models and stuff change you know. I use matches for the pipe. I have a butane cigar lighter collection so I have tons of butane. I am looking for a reliable economical butane pipe lighter preferably soft flame. Meaning I don't want to spend $120.00 on an oll boy ( I much rather spend it on pipes and tobacco). I'm not too keen on zippo only because of the fluid taste. I'm content with the matches and I maY be asking a lot since as we all know pipe smoking, lighters and butane have not been around long. Please discuss and thank you.

Commander Quan

Commander Yellow Pantyhose
There is no such thing as a reliable lighter, they are are a total shot in the dark. Expensive ones have warranties that give you piece of mind that when they fail it can be fixed or replaced. Anything less than $40 should be considered disposable because eventually it will die and you just throw it a way. I have found no discernible difference between a $10 lighter and a $40 lighter, they both have the exact same chance of it beings DOA or lasting 5+ years.

My advice would be to buy a Xikar. Their lighters are not up to the same quality as their cigars cutters, but the warranty is the same so you'll know that you can always exchange or replace it. Unless you are prone to loosing things, then just go with the $10 job.

IMCO used to sell a pipe lighter called the Bentley that was fantastic, it was basically a refillable BIC with and angled flame and swing out tamper. Smoking pipes used to sell them for $6-$7, and I'd add 2-3 onto each order, but they were discontinued years ago. I though I had a bag of them somewhere but I for the life of me can't find them.

Last edited:

Hirsute

Used to have fun with Commander Yellow Pantyhose
IMCO G55r and IMCO G77r are what I use. They're refillable cheap lighters with angled flames. I prefer the 55 but they're getting hard to find. Amazon and SP have the 77, and there's some in eBay too.

So you are saying xikar pipeline. Half my cigar lighters are xikar and you are right they are pretty hit or miss. You can't beat a lifetime warranty though. I don't lose them I display them when not in use. Thanks.

There is no such thing as a reliable lighter, they are are a total shot in the dark. Expensive ones have warranties that give you piece of mind that when they fail it can be fixed or replaced. Anything less than $40 should be considered disposable because eventually it will die and you just throw it a way. I have found no discernible difference between a $10 lighter and a $40 lighter, they both have the exact same chance of it beings DOA or lasting 5+ years.

My advice would be to buy a Xikar. Their lighters are not up to the same quality as their cigars cutters, but the warranty is the same so you'll know that you can always exchange or replace it. Unless you are prone to loosing things, then just go with the $10 job.

IMCO used to sell a pipe lighter called the Bentley that was fantastic, it was basically a refillable BIC with and angled flame and swing out tamper. Smoking pipes used to sell them for $6-$7, and I'd add 2-3 onto each order, but they were discontinued years ago. I though I had a bag of them somewhere but I for the life of me can't find them.

I'm so glad I asked. I've never heard of imco.

IMCO G55r and IMCO G77r are what I use. They're refillable cheap lighters with angled flames. I prefer the 55 but they're getting hard to find. Amazon and SP have the 77, and there's some in eBay too.

Commander Quan

Commander Yellow Pantyhose
There is also the Resource if that is more your style. I know oc_in_fw had one he exchanged for the other. I think he went from the Pipeline to the Resource.

If I can compare apples or oranges, I have an Old Boy, and a generic angled lighter that is the same shape as the Resource. The second one does much better outside in any breeze, I would credit the shape.

Have you tried using a Zippo? Zippo reformulated the fuel awhile ago, and most here would say that the fuel in the black can doesn't impart any taste. Very rarely I'll get a hit of it when lighting but it never lasts.

I agree with the Zippo being a great lighter. Very little to no taste with the new lighter fluid, and it lights in the wind. They last forever too.

Zippo is nice but if you want reliable solid as a rock I'd get a DJEEP. Made in France, cheap, lots of fuel and you can get any color or logo imaginable.

Www.djeep.com

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
So you are saying xikar pipeline. Half my cigar lighters are xikar and you are right they are pretty hit or miss. You can't beat a lifetime warranty though. I don't lose them I display them when not in use. Thanks.

I had the Pipeline- I didn't care for it. The whole flintwheel assembly got loose on me because it was hard as heck to strike a spark. The cigar shop I bought it at let me swap it with a Xikar Resource, and I have love that since. I lose Czech tools faster than all get out, but I never lose lighters. The Resource has the tools built in. Plus, the tank has a great capacity.

on edit: The Resource is the lighter on the left side of the lower row.

Attachments

• $lighters.jpg
    $lighters.jpg
    46 KB · Views: 279

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
There is also the Resource if that is more your style. I know oc_in_fw had one he exchanged for the other. I think he went from the Pipeline to the Resource.

If I can compare apples or oranges, I have an Old Boy, and a generic angled lighter that is the same shape as the Resource. The second one does much better outside in any breeze, I would credit the shape.

Have you tried using a Zippo? Zippo reformulated the fuel awhile ago, and most here would say that the fuel in the black can doesn't impart any taste. Very rarely I'll get a hit of it when lighting but it never lasts.
I should have scrolled down before posting- Yep, I swapped the Pipeline for a Resource, and have been happy since.

Well you guys sold me. I'm going to have one of my zippos refitted for a pipe. I haven't used one in years. I didn't know they reformulated the fluid so I will give that a try. I will also be purchasing a resource it's sounds like they are more reliable than the pipeline. Thanks for the input.

Djeeps wotk fantastic for pipes because the butane button is super wide. I tried finding a picture of both a bic and a djeep but I couldn't. Google images on Djeep lighters and you'll see how huge that button is.

Mailed zippo nov 21, just received email today that they received it. Just today are you kidding me? It's a form letter. It's says it will be 4-5 weeks. Holy cow. I was expecting it any day. Resource is on Christmas list but may switch it to kabuto. Those things are sharp looking. Will keep you updated if any of us are still alive when the zippo gets back.

Consider switching your Resource on your Santa list. I've had a few of them and their tank is TINY!! The kiribi capacity is actually a bit larger than the old boys and my old boy still hasn't been refueled and I've had it since summer. 5.5 grams of fuel on the kiribi. When I went thru resource lighters I refueled it once a week. All times every one, bone dry and I keep my flame low. Anyways just food for thought. I don't want anyone's Christmas present to be less than they expect.

I just ordered 4 - 55s from a smokeshop in the UK. Thanks for the clue.

Top Bottom