What's new

Barber's Notches.

Has anyone considered that the notches may have been used to store the blades between uses? Like sitting the blade in a stand on the notch I mean. It would avoid warping the scales over time.

Also, one I haven't heard yet is blade flexing. The notch, even a small one, as has been theorized as being an early example would allow for a lot more flex relatively than otherwise.

Nope, never heard of it as storage use

And I can't imagine that a notch on a wedge/near wedge would allow for flex.

Interesting theory though.

They are purely there for the sake of conversation.

They serve no useful functional purpose
I agree. I think someone decades ago had the foresight to invent them so that we'd have something to discuss, besides honing methods . . . .

Must have had some reason for existing.

I heard somewhere that it was used for ear and nose hairs or to bypass a facial mole.
Who knows...barbers were also considered medical men in years gone by so might have had a medial use.

Must have had some reason for existing.

I heard somewhere that it was used for ear and nose hairs or to bypass a facial mole.
Who knows...barbers were also considered medical men in years gone by so might have had a medial use.

Doesn't make sense for ears, perhaps nose, but definitely not facial moles...

I think razor makers were looking for ways to differentiate from others.

They were used so that a barber could open the razor with one hand using their pocket to grab the notch.

From what I understand the notch was a place to put their finger to keep it from slipping off when using two hands on detail work and against the grain on upper lip.

I have the heard the opening one handed on pocket reason several times before.

That's because that is what it's for. I know everybody seems to have their own opinion, but this was told to me by my barber 35 years ago. He was in his 60's then.

One of my old barbers told me my beard would grow in heavier if I shaved more often.
So, well - not everything barbers said was always accurate.
Personally, I'm not seeing the 'one handed' thing, but anythingispossible I guess.

I believe they are there so you can use a straight razor as a pry bar, for removing nails and such. Also doubles as a bottlecap remover or wire stripper. Truly the manliest of instruments.

Top Bottom