What's new

Best Face Wash / Scrubs according to B&B and Google

I've been using Lab Series Multi Action Face Wash for over 2 years now and I have been very pleased with it.
However since I have decided to go back to wet shaving (I've been electric shaving for a long time!) I've been investigating and researching Wet Shave products. I thought I should also check out what face wash was being recommended to use for my pre-shave routine.

These are the top 4 that I found by searching and browsing B&B (I went back 1 year) and googling Best Men's Face Wash. These were recommend the most by combining the two results.

1. Neutrogena Invigorating Face Wash for Men / Razor Defense Scrub
2. Jack Black Pure Clean Daily Facial Cleanser
3. Kiehl's Facial Fuel Energizing Face Wash
4. Nivea for Men Face Wash / Energy Pre-Shave Scrub
There were many others but these are the top ones by number of times recommended. In some case on B&B just the brand was recommended that is why I combined the different products.

According to this I need to try a few more out!

What are your thoughts?

Last edited:
I like the Neutrogena Invigorating Face Wash. Has a great menthol kick to it. I'm currently using the Nivea for Men face wash but find it kinda blah.

I really like Every Man Jack and Zirh face washes. Zirh can be pricey so I try them in outlets or Marshalls/TJ Maxx type stores. IMO, Every Man Jack has some of the best products for guys and they're reasonably priced. I love their face wash, post shave lotion, and body wash. Their shave cream is decent but not my great.

I really like one, but it probably won't get a lot of mentions as its not marketed specifically to men. I started using it because I got some for free a few years ago as part of a care package, while on deployment. It is St. Ives' apricot scrub. My face always feels great afterward. Even though it is t advertised as a preshave wash, it seems to do a good job of getting my face ready. Just my $.02.

I was using a cheap glycerin bar and found that it was drying my face out especially as the weather got cooler. I've been using the Kiehl's for the last few weeks, and like it but it's not a good value. Very expensive, and I go through it quickly. The performance is good though.

Jack Black Face Buff is great for a deep clean. Wouldn't use every day though. I use Jack Black daily facial cleanser every day and use the face buff about every third day. I've been very pleased with the results.

I was using a cheap glycerin bar and found that it was drying my face out especially as the weather got cooler. I've been using the Kiehl's for the last few weeks, and like it but it's not a good value. Very expensive, and I go through it quickly. The performance is good though.

I was using Stirling soaps for several months when an aunt that works at Whole Foods gave me a large glycerin based bar of soap sold there that is usually expensive but she got a few for around a dollar because they had dents in them. I used the bar and I couldn't figure out why my skin was dry and ashy(I'm white and you could see I was ashy). I was itchy too. I went back to tallow based soap and everything is great. I'll be sticking with Stirling from now on or at least tallow based soaps, especially with winter coming.

I was using Stirling soaps for several months when an aunt that works at Whole Foods gave me a large glycerin based bar of soap sold there that is usually expensive but she got a few for around a dollar because they had dents in them. I used the bar and I couldn't figure out why my skin was dry and ashy(I'm white and you could see I was ashy). I was itchy too. I went back to tallow based soap and everything is great. I'll be sticking with Stirling from now on or at least tallow based soaps, especially with winter coming.

That's funny, I was using WF soap as well. It was just too drying. Going through some of the Stirling shaving soap samples I have right now, and jury is still out for me. I like the scent of Executive Man, but the protection so far hasn't been great for me.

I've been using noxzemas' bacteria fighting cleanser & noxzemas' anti blemish scrub. Deep cleaning cleanser (helps with acne) & the scrub is fine like zirh scrub. AND it's cheap! You'll spend less than $10 for both the cleanser & scrub. I also use noxzemas' original cleansing cream as a pre shave & aftershave balm, that too is inexpensive at $4. Happy hunting.

The Kiehl's Facial Fuel line IS expensive, but everything is solid. The wash, the moisturizer and especially the scrub are all in heavy rotation for me. If you have a Nordstrom's near you they sell a 1 liter size (yep, that's right, 1 liter) of the gel wash that'll run you for awhile. The Blue Astringent Toner is a classic.

When it's summer and my face gets sweaty, I use Men-U face wash, super-concentrated and with tea tree oil, very refreshing on a hot day.

I have used the Neutrogena Invigorating Face Wash for Men, Neutrogena Razor Defense Scrub, Nivea for Men Face Wash and Nivea Energy Pre-Shave Scrub over the last month, each for 1 week. As I stated in the OP I've been using the LAB Series Multi-Action Face Wash for a long time so all comparisons were made to it.
All of them are much harder to rinse off than the LAB Series. For that reason I still prefer the LAB Series!
I didn't notice any better or worse shaves, or any better or worse feeling skin from any of them.
My ranking is as follows:
1. LAB Series Multi-Action Face Wash:thumbup1:
2. Nivea Men Energy Face Scrub
3. Nivea Nivea for Men Face Wash
4. Neutrogena Razor Defense Scrub
5. Neutrogena Invigorating Face Wash for Men (Giving this the lowest ranking because of the Menthol in it. I don't care for that at all!:thumbdown)

$20160227_125843.jpg

I have placed an order for:
Jack Black Pure Clean Daily Facial Cleanser
Kiehl's Facial Fuel Energizing Face Wash
Grooming Lounge Mug Cleaner Face Wash
Urth Face Wash

I'll do the same trial with each of them and report back.

I use Jack Black Pure Clean Daily Facial Cleanser. I really like it. It doesn't dry my face out and leaves my face feeling very clean/refreshed. It's also cruelty-free, which was another main reason I bought it.

I would definitely recommend it.

[Edit: I've used Kiehls too and I really liked that as well. It was a toss up between that and Jack Black but Kiehls isn't cruelty-free.]

Last edited:
SWMBO picked me up a set with some Dove Men+Care things in it. I used them this week.

Face Scrub Deep Clean: If it has any scrubbing particles I really don't feel them. Rinses off almost as easy as the LAB Series
Face Wash Hydrate: Can't tell much difference in this and the scrub really.
Face Lotion Hydrate: I like this almost as much as the LAB Series Pro LS.

By all means try them out. I'm among the ones here that mentally changes a "best___" proclamation to "favorite___." The adage YMMV holds water with me. Enjoy!

I'm also using Ursa Major face wash. I try to avoid propylene glycol and glycerine in the first three ingredients when possible.

Top Bottom