What's new

Pipe selection

I haven't smoked a pipe for years, and I'm thinking about getting back in the game. In the past I had several Peterson's and and a Savinelli. I had a Peterson Meerschaum and a briar, and liked the briar better, but the meerschaum got prettier the more I smoked it. I liked that the Peterson pipes drew the smoke to the roof of my mouth and away from my tongue. Quality in products such as tobacco pipes can change over time, and I'm just wondering what would be a brand worth looking into that provides excellent quality and reasonable value. I'm probably looking for something with a bend (straight pipes tended to be too wet for me) in a non sandblasted finish. Thanks in advance.

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
Any Peterson or Savinelli should be fine. My two Savinellis are great.

You could also look at estate pipes that are already restored and ready to smoke from Smokingpipes, Walker Briar Works or some other reliable sources. I picked up a Lane era Charatan Diplomat about a year ago that I really love. Just a touch over $100.

This is a pic. of the pipe...I didn't want to go through photos to post one that I took so I just used the one from Smokingpipes. :001_smile

proxy.php

TexLaw

Fussy Evil Genius
I love Savinellis. I have a couple from 25 years ago, and I have a few from much more recently, and I've not really noticed any difference in quality. If your budget still has room for them, you should not be disappointed.

The Savinelli 320 KS (author) is one that I just recently tried, and I adore it. If you like wider bowls, I bet you just might, as well. Here's the one I have (bought off another forum member). I expect I'll get another in a different model, sooner or later.

$POTD 11-4-2015.jpg

Agreed. Savenelli and Peterson would be my top choices for anyone albeit buying a first pipe or needing a partner for their dunhill collection.

I haven't smoked a pipe for years, and I'm thinking about getting back in the game. In the past I had several Peterson's and and a Savinelli. I had a Peterson Meerschaum and a briar, and liked the briar better, but the meerschaum got prettier the more I smoked it. I liked that the Peterson pipes drew the smoke to the roof of my mouth and away from my tongue. Quality in products such as tobacco pipes can change over time, and I'm just wondering what would be a brand worth looking into that provides excellent quality and reasonable value. I'm probably looking for something with a bend (straight pipes tended to be too wet for me) in a non sandblasted finish. Thanks in advance.

Since you're in Chicago, why not head over to Iwan Ries? They're very knowledgeable, have a huge selection on hand, and should be able to help you find exactly what you're looking for in a pipe.

Commander Quan

Commander Yellow Pantyhose
I liked that the Peterson pipes drew the smoke to the roof of my mouth and away from my tongue. Quality in products such as tobacco pipes can change over time, and I'm just wondering what would be a brand worth looking into that provides excellent quality and reasonable value.

If you want another pipe with that same characteristic you're looking for a Peterson with a P-lip stem.

Top Bottom