What's new

Value links for trades

Don't see how I need to do links to particular items, im trying to trade.

That was posted here in the GDF yesterday in a "WTT" thread ... by a member who shall remain nameless ... in a thread that has since been deleted.

So yes, you DO need to provide "value links" for any item you are trying to see ... or trade! Yes, any item you are bringing to the Gentlemanly Deals Forum need to come with it's homework complete, in the form of a link showing some idea of the value of the item. That way, all members who see your offering ... from the most seasoned wetshaving veteran to the rookiest n00b with no idea about what things are worth ... has an idea about the fair value of the item going in.

The Mod team really does appreciate those of you who make an effort, follow the rules, and make this an enjoyable place to be.

When I have posted out of production item (usually a razor) I have used Ebay as a reference. Of course it is impossible to find razor in the exact condition. What I did I was provide two links. One razor was better condition and the other was in worse. It gave me an estimated value. I also understand the rules to say, when trading you are not required to trade for something 40% off your value. Only when selling.

topcatman, I honestly don't understand what you're trying to say. You are dramatizing with extremes. Why would you use a 1976 truck to estimate value on a 2016? Your illustrations only use the lowest possible value link imaginable.

Do you not realize that eBay also has some of the highest selling prices for many razors? Just... pick one in the middle. Or, price the item how you would without the value link rule, and then find a sold listing that supports your gentlemanly pricing.

This isn't hard in my opinion.

I guess, to me it's pretty simple: If I have something I am looking to get rid of, and it isn't worth much, I PIF it. If we are talking about higher end stuff where I just can't let it go at 40% off (even if I am willing to let it go for a great price), I sell it somewhere else. I find Panjo to be very user unfriendly.

It has been made very apparent to us that the sheer volume of traffic on this site makes it impossible to operate your normal BST type of operation here, for a variety of reasons that can be searched if you care enough to look. Fair enough. There are other places that seem to have a much more robust buying/selling environment. They also don't have anywhere near the overall traffic, and seem to be able to absorb it. I guess that way, we all win.

How do you measure value on items for trade? Something that has little value to you may have a great value for me because it fills a niche in my collection or is a component in a plan, and what I offer in return may or may not have value to the trader as an individual. This whole notion that one can usurp caveat emptor is simply ridiculous.

As an aside, since the changeover I have yet to find ANY listing on either the BBF or GD forums that interest me due to the drastic decrease in volume and the fact that so many items are now offered only in lots. There was one individual item that I was interested in, but it was buried in a lot of stuff that was simple garbage to me. During the same time period, I have purchased items from a couple of small antique shops.

I too, have had a post deleted, due to lack of LINK. I offered products, with description and photos, AND asked for trades, not monetary compensation. We are all "Grown up and haired over good" on this forum and value should be in the eye of the beholder, not up to the moderator. The trade should be left up to the parties involved. Nobody is here to rip anyone off.

I guess what I was trying to say earlier, is that we have been cordially invited to "take the hint". It isn't an online market, and there are plenty of places that are. We are more than free to find them.

but if you look at the rules, in a literal, OCD manner it only wants a link to an msrp for a currently produced item. And does it not state no msrp link is needed for out of production items? Hence how can we provide a value link? Sure we have ebay but ill present an illustration why that's pretty much worthless, as pointed out to me by others on this fun site of ours.

Harry has an original, in the original box ww2 government contract tech razor. never used, handle and head have never even been assembled with the handle and he has the original pack of blades, totally sealed from the factory. He wants to trade it for something else.

But to comply he has to ply the ebay and he can only links to where a used one, missing the original handle sold for 5 dollars. Is he supposed to value his immaculate factory new case set for 40% below that $5?

or

Mike has a brand new 2016 ford F150 pick up truck with 12.5 miles on the odometer, does he have to price his 40% below a 1976 ford f150 with 245,000 miles that sold for 340$ on ebay last month?

the best way to show a gentlemanly deal is to illustrate something children do.

Its holloween, little jimmy got 5 butter finger fun size he cant eat. Hes allergic to peanuts. Little mike loves butter fingers, and has a candy bar he cant eat due to allergies. they get to gether, and it turns out little jimmy LOVES that kind of candy bar. Next thing you know, jimmy has the candy bar and little mike has 5 funsize butter fingers in his pocket.

Read the rules again on what to do for out-of-production items.

Why have a value link for trades? It gives anyone considering a trade a fair estimation of what they're trading for. We're all big boys here and are capable of deciding whether we want to part with a particular item. The guy on the other side of the trade could be me or Joel or Nick, and we know the score.

What about the guy who's new to the hobby and doesn't know what from wherefore? The link levels the playing field for everyone, so that anyone considering a trade has a common, documented frame of reference to guide them during the haggle. It is a really simple, straightforward thing that does a good turn for the community. The community is why we continue to put up with the headaches we continue to have with the GDF.

Well heres something, someone just sold a Bostonian set for 145 dollars. 10 minutes on ebay and you can find complete Bostonians in both gold and silver that sold as a set for under 60 dollars on ebay. And I can find Bostonian razors that sold on their own for 19-30 dollars.

Does me being able to find those items on ebay mean the person on B&B who sold a Bostonian set for 145 on here, is breaking the rules?

And if two or more sensible adults who can legally drive both read the rules, and reasonable find that out of production items up for trade, or items up for trade need NO price link. then you need to redo your rules.

You act like we are trying to return the 30 dollar box of assorted chocolates after we ate the caramel nut centers out of them all.

Read below.

Hello Doc4,
When you say link to an eBay price I'm assuming the price it actually sold for correct? And what if one is not available for a piece does the $50 rule still stand?
Thanks, Mick.
The "$50 rule" is gone. If you have a $200 vintage razor and want to sell it for $120 here, be our guest ... just so long as you have a "value link" of some sort to establish the $200 market value.

Remember, any value link has to pass the "WWJD test" ... so if similar razors have sold on eBay for about $100 consistently this past year, and you cherry-pick the one sale where some sucker pays $200 ... well ... you know what happens next. (Not saying "you" you would do that, just a hypothetical example.)

And if for some reason there is no available eBay sale to link to, presumably there will be some other sort of information out there on the internets as to the item's approximate value. The more obscure an item is, the more understanding we can be.

Last edited:
I take it like the instructions I get at work from time to time, the instructions are not how I would do things, but I am not the boss so if he wants it done that way, then I will do my best to do it that way. Some day I might become boss and when I do, I will fix things, until that day I will do as I am told so that I can continue to be gainfully employed. To do otherwise is neither smart, nor in my own best intrest. Just the way I look at things, YMMV! But it won't for long if you can't follow the rules!

Eh, just post a link, it's a lot easier than arguing about it. The truly 40% deals are claimed almost immediately. If it lasts any amount of time it's probably an "optimistic" valuation anyways.

but if you look at the rules, in a literal, OCD manner it only wants a link to an msrp for a currently produced item. And does it not state no msrp link is needed for out of production items? Hence how can we provide a value link? Sure we have ebay but ill present an illustration why that's pretty much worthless, as pointed out to me by others on this fun site of ours.

Harry has an original, in the original box ww2 government contract tech razor. never used, handle and head have never even been assembled with the handle and he has the original pack of blades, totally sealed from the factory. He wants to trade it for something else.

But to comply he has to ply the ebay and he can only links to where a used one, missing the original handle sold for 5 dollars. Is he supposed to value his immaculate factory new case set for 40% below that $5?

or

Mike has a brand new 2016 ford F150 pick up truck with 12.5 miles on the odometer, does he have to price his 40% below a 1976 ford f150 with 245,000 miles that sold for 340$ on ebay last month?

the best way to show a gentlemanly deal is to illustrate something children do.

Its holloween, little jimmy got 5 butter finger fun size he cant eat. Hes allergic to peanuts. Little mike loves butter fingers, and has a candy bar he cant eat due to allergies. they get to gether, and it turns out little jimmy LOVES that kind of candy bar. Next thing you know, jimmy has the candy bar and little mike has 5 funsize butter fingers in his pocket.

Well heres something, someone just sold a Bostonian set for 145 dollars. 10 minutes on ebay and you can find complete Bostonians in both gold and silver that sold as a set for under 60 dollars on ebay. And I can find Bostonian razors that sold on their own for 19-30 dollars.

Does me being able to find those items on ebay mean the person on B&B who sold a Bostonian set for 145 on here, is breaking the rules?

And if two or more sensible adults who can legally drive both read the rules, and reasonable find that out of production items up for trade, or items up for trade need NO price link. then you need to redo your rules.

You act like we are trying to return the 30 dollar box of assorted chocolates after we ate the caramel nut centers out of them all.

ok heres something, someone just sold a Bostonian razor on here for 145 dollars. Are they breaking the rules because I can find 2 complete Bostonian sets that sold for under 70 dollars on ebay in the last month?

Or are they breaking the rules because I can find 2-3 Bostonian razors that sold alone on their own for under 30 in the last week?

To many people have stopped using this sub forum because of all the crap involved with simply trading something, let alone selling.

That tells me something stinks with it. If you have a mandatory post limit in order to post something for sale or trade, that should mean you have enough street smarts on your item, and go accordingly.

Example, if you have posted the minimum number of threads, then you should by then know your mint unopened ABC Gillette is worth more in a trade then a half used stick of Palmolive and an unused stick of arko.

at least two un used stick of each, minimum.

I hear a lot of moaning from someone who doesn't like the rules. I have a simple solution for you... go and do your selling/buying/trading elsewhere!

As Bob mentioned, we are willing to put up with some inconvenience by allowing the GDF for the sake of our community but there is no chance that we will put up with the rubbish which we have had to endure in the past.

captp

Pretty Pink Fairy Princess.
I think this thread should be closed. It's run its course and seems to be going in circles.

ok heres something, someone just sold a Bostonian razor on here for 145 dollars. Are they breaking the rules because I can find 2 complete Bostonian sets that sold for under 70 dollars on ebay in the last month?

Or are they breaking the rules because I can find 2-3 Bostonian razors that sold alone on their own for under 30 in the last week?

To many people have stopped using this sub forum because of all the crap involved with simply trading something, let alone selling.

That tells me something stinks with it. If you have a mandatory post limit in order to post something for sale or trade, that should mean you have enough street smarts on your item, and go accordingly.

Example, if you have posted the minimum number of threads, then you should by then know your mint unopened ABC Gillette is worth more in a trade then a half used stick of Palmolive and an unused stick of arko.

at least two un used stick of each, minimum.

You obviously didn't read any of my replies which addressed your points since you keep bringing up the same complaint over and over.

Last edited:
I understand showing some price point value but i have a question there are some items out there that truely have no information on in terms of value. Example there are two known ch1s in silver. One was sold twice but never public. The other someone owns here. Theres is literally no info on this item especially in terms of value. What do you do with that? I also say this as if i wanted to trade since the value point would need to be listed in marketplace. I ask this because ive seen many shave items with no information and might only be one of. Ive had this issue before with items and not knowing the value

Last edited:
[MENTION=104487]topcatman[/MENTION]

It's easy. If you can't follow the rules or don't want to, you don't get to use the GDF.

Top Bottom