What's new

First DE shave without irritation! Yabadabadoo :

hello,

tonight was my seventh shave with my DE overall and it was the first one without irritation afterwards.

the whole procedure was as usual: starting from shower and finishing by shave. the only difference I tried - the cold (instead of hot) water usage after the lather was created. will check later was it my better technique or the cold water what did the trick.

I did 2-3 passes shave without going ATG, just WTG and XTG. it is not BBS yet, but after reading lots of threads I understood that this should be my next level goal. not at this stage yet when the main goal is to get irritation free shave.

the gear:
Preshave: Shower and Coconut oil
Razor: Merkur 23c
Blade: Merkur (the one found in the box with the razor | second shave with the same blade)
Brush: Omega Boar 10066 (think it is starting to break in finally as I get much better lather than before:))
Soap: Tabac (love the scent. I keep it open during the days for having nice scent around)
Aftershave: Alum rock + Florida Water
$SOTD_2015-11-18.jpg

Congrats on a great shave! I know what you mean about the tabac soap fragrance. I love getting a hit of that scent when I walk into my bathroom. :001_smile

Thanks to all for your support.

The hobby is expensive one at the moment and my wallet feels lots of attention, which if it was a woman, it should have thought I am in love with it ;)

The feeling is incredible.

Btw, I shaved my neck previously and now I have also shaved a bit of my cheeks to form a line on top sides of my fullbeard. Still at a crossway of deciding if my grown beard should be shaved fully in order to get the full satisfaction of shaving or I should stay with it ;) as I am planning to change my job now, maybe it would be an opportunity to do some changes on my face - round beard, handlebars?;)

First... Welcome.
Secondly, I would not worry about BBS. ATG should not be to great a challenge, so long as you don't worry about getting the "perfect" shave. You have nice gear, and appear to be enjoying the experience. Good for you. As you get shaves under your belt, you'll find that sometimes you get BBS, and sometimes you don't. It's when you force it that the irritation and razor burn will bite you.
Good luck on your job adventure and enjoy your shaves.

An another tip I want to give you is to wait a couple days before you're going to shave. Just rub ATG with your thumb on your beard, if it stings then you shouldn't shave, if it doesn't you can shave. This is what I have learned from my own experience.

The thing that was the hardest and is for everyone is the learning curve, I found my Merkur 34C HD very weird but once I got the curve I got always a BBS.

Really BBS isn't difficult to achieve. The most important things are that you fidn a blade that works the best for you including the best shaving soap/cream and face prep.

An another thing is you need to perform the passes properly, so you need to map your beard first. Just let it grow for a couple days and check it out in the mirror. You need to shave in the WTG, XTG and ATG according to the direction of the beard growth. This is the reason why many people have problems going ATG. If you don't perform the first two passes properly there will be more hair and once you go ATG you will get problems.

And one tip: DONT RUSH! Never rush, yesterday I did rush and used a blade that should have been replaced and as a result I got a nasty razor burn(s).

Thanks euro, will try to identify the "stringing" of my beard to understand what the feeling is. I am still working with my only soap Tabac, will additionally try a La Toja stick to identify the difference. I am actually very happy about my brush which again striked with better performance. I am still breaking it in, I guess.

Top Bottom