What's new

Looking to upgrade to my first decent brush but I don't know what I want!

I've been wet shaving for 3 years or so, but have been using the badger brush out of a Van der Hagen shaving kit. It does it's job fine, but it's very floppy, has little backbone, has become scritchy, and sheds about 3-5 hairs per shave. It's time to upgrade. However, I have no idea where to begin my search. I primarily bowl lather off of soaps (I'm currently on a puck of TOBS sandalwood) so I need a good amount of backbone. I also don't mind a little bit of scritch but would prefer a much softer brush to what I currently have. I also prefer larger bulb shaped brushes like a Thater 4125.The last requirement is it must fit in the budget of $100ish

Thanks all, I look forward to your suggestions!

I've been envying a Simpson. With a $100 you could get a really nice one. I've also seen a lot of people suggest Semogue owners club brushes that were in that range. Pretty good bang for your buck, or so I hear :)

You need a thäter...

Attachments

• $image.jpeg
    $image.jpeg
    87.8 KB · Views: 71
Sigh. One wishes. Does it check off all of my needs? I've never held or felt one, it's just a style I quite prefer. If it will fit my requirements I think I might need to pinch pennies

I think either a Thater or Shavemac would fit your preferences. 2band has more backbone than 3band and is definitely my preference. I recommend getting for you the Thater 4125/1 or 4125/2 in the 2band bulb. They are will be somewhere around your price range and i don't think you will be disappointed.

Shavemac uses similar hair with their 2band silvertip but you can customise your brush handle style and colour as well as choose which size knot you want and at what height (loft) you want it set. If you want a shavemac i'd recommend the 2band silvertip either 24mm knot set at 52-54mm loft or a 26mm knot set at 54mm loft, both in bulb shape.

awesome thanks for the recommendation!

The other thing I've rediscovered is whipped dog and the golden nib. I had done some research on these brands a couple years ago when I was planning on turning my own cherrywood handle. Both companies sell assembled brushes. A whipped dog silvertip or high mountain badger brush in 24mm and drilled to any loft would be $37. Do more expensive brushes provide 3X the benefits? At the point I'm at, I feel like anything will be an upgrade, and it might be a good introduction into a better quality brush. But again, I have little to no experience which is why I'm asking for your help!

If you go that route id recommend the TGN finest knots over the whipped dog as i think they are of better quality and have less chance of getting a dud that sheds. Larry at WD is very good at replacing faulty brushes though.

Either way, for a 2band brush id recommend you get a 24-26mm bulb set at 52-54mm loft. The bigger the knot and lower you set the knot, the more backbone the brush will have. I would get a 26mm knot set at 54mm loft. Good backbone but not ridiculously so. Should have soft tips and good flow through as well.

I would look at TGN before WD in badgers. A TGN 2 band, set into a custom made handle, is a great way to get a really nice brush for a great price.

OkieStubble

Dirty Donuts are so Good.
If you go that route id recommend the TGN finest knots

+1 My one and only favorite Badger brush. Vintage Century Bakelite Butterscotch handle, set with TGN 16mm Finest knot, set at 48 mm loft.

Before Bloom
$B6.jpg

After Bloom
$B7.jpg

Between the knot, handle and epoxy, I was under $30. Now I have a great small vintage brush with soft tips and backbone that is perfect for face lathering. I'm sure the expensive one's are nice too... ;)

Last edited:
I'd prefer to stick to badger. What are the reasons you guys prefer TGN finest over silvertip? like I said, I have little experience with other brushes besides mine because we don't really have a place where you can go to check them out, but I have been in an AOS and the silvertip brushes just feel so soft and awesome. But I could see how maybe lathering properties are different between different badger grades.

Don't disregard boar because it has a reputation for being lower-quality than badger. If you're looking for a brush with backbone for lathering hard soaps, boars are simply the way to go. I have a Semogue 1460 and love it for face lathering and for use with soaps, and I just ordered an Owners Club last night because of the density of the knot. Badgers are fine and have their own perks, but boars are great for the criteria you specified.

I'm not disregarding boar due to a reputation, it's more because this is kind of a "sight unseen" endeavor and I just simply only have experience with badger. I'd just feel more comfortable with something I've done the most research on and have the most experience with. Although, I'm quite keen to follow your advice because of your Jezza profile thumbnail

I used a Shavemac #177 23mm silvertip Badger for years with creams & soft soaps. I think they run a little over your amount but are a great brush & are extremely comfortable to use. Check out West Coast Shaving for exact prices & types.
You can get a synthetic brush for less; Whipped Dog 24mm for around 24 bucks. Muhle V2 synthetic brushes are rated well also! There are so many choices it can make your head spin!

Top Bottom