What's new

No treasure for me

I've went to the 2 local flea markets in my area and have not even come close to finding any DE Razors. I've been wanting to find a Fatboy for the $4 price everyone seems to find so commonly in their area. I'll not pay the minimum $40-50 for one that isn't in great shape on ebay or on the forum. It seems the ones posted on the forum are $40-$50 missing paint and have brassing but still sell in less than 10 minutes. Also looking for birthdate razor from 72 Q4 and 51 Q4 for a family member. I thought I would at least find a few battered up ones but the closest thing I came was a stand where the man had about 4-5 cheap straights, and he was more than clueless when I asked about "Double Edge or old style razors that were popular in the 50s-60s". He was probably in his late 50s-early 60s so that worries me even more about future hunts.

This weekend, I'm planning on going to 2 more that are a little over an hour drive from me and a bit larger in size. Are there any tips the veterans can offer?

Do not give up, they are out there. Make sure you look in all the out of the way spots on tables. A person can easily over look a razor if not carefull. By-pass the tables with the "new" stuff and concentrate on tables with display cases and tables with older stuff on them. Good luck

I can't offer any advice, although I would like to know how I would find out if there are any Birth Razors for my year and quarter (although I think I am too young, 85 Q1...did they still make DE's that late into the 80's?).

Thanks GMJ, I've not given up yet, but was discouraged because I was pretty vocal about asking a bunch of vendors about Double Edged old fashioned Gillette Razors. The looks on their face was comical almost to a person. It was like I was asking them for directions to Somalia or something.

da0acer0- I think that would be an F code that is a superadjustable with Black handle. Use this link:

http://www.geocities.com/safetyrazors/gil_ser2.htm

Thanks GMJ, I've not given up yet, but was discouraged because I was pretty vocal about asking a bunch of vendors about Double Edged old fashioned Gillette Razors. The looks on their face was comical almost to a person. It was like I was asking them for directions to Somalia or something.

I went to an antique show and did the same thing. Lots of confused looks, then finally one guy said "yeah I collected them, they are sitting in a box somewhere, but I don't have them here." I got his business card, and 2 weeks later I was 32 razors richer. Keep up the hunt. Eventually you will strike gold, or nickel, or chrome, or maybe all of the above!

da0acer0- I think that would be an F code that is a superadjustable with Black handle. Use this link:

http://www.geocities.com/safetyrazors/gil_ser2.htm

Thanks a bunch, I'll check that website out in a bit...

My two cents (your cents may vary):

Look for dealers who obviously hit estate sales. They will be recognizable by their lack of any real "theme" in their items. Even more so than the average dealer. Lots of house hold items here, not tons of furniture. Look for displays with smaller items on them. Look in cups, boxes, etc...

I also look for dealers who deal in nostalgia, not antiques per se. These are the items that are suppose to make you go: "Mom had one of those!". Usually these dealers are overflowing with colorful kitchen items, but look for pockets of bathroom/grooming related items hidden amongst the fiesta ware. These dealers tend to group like items. Or sometimes like colors...which is odd.

Look for jewelry dealers. Especially the ones with multiple cases. Then look for cases of "mens accessories". I've seen some very nice razors displayed like this.

Generally, look in things. Razors are often stored like pens, pencils, small utility tools because of their similar size. So think about items that could be displayed /put away like a razor. Then look there.

Happy hunting.

Just a story about it...I went into this antique shop the other day, and asked the lady about them (safety / straight razors). She looks at me kinda funny and is like well hmm, i'll show you what i got it's the neatest thing I'm sure you've never seen one blah blah blah...She carriers me to this little case and pulls out a kewtie (the little mini razors with the little pink case). And i'm like yea i've seen those, but i'm looking for the bigger ones. So she pretty much said they were in a box in the back.....
So i'm like cool I'de love to buy some....
And she's like well they are in the box Not real sure which one but there are quite a few.

Anyways i left there without any, i just don't understand, i was telling her that i would buy whatever she had and she wouldn't bother with it....it was a saturday, and i spent an hour in there listening to her yap about her dogs and cats and not another sole walked in....Oh well i guess, she missed a sale.....

I've got a local dealer that seems to get razors in regularly so that's good. In irregular places be really careful as both I've seen still had the blade in there. One was in with a bunch of pens, with the blade in it! Be safe and don't give up.

My two cents (your cents may vary)

Wow! Some really great practical advice there. And obviously coming from a man with experience in these things.

Thanks for sharing those tips. I'll certainly keep them in mind next time I'm on a "treasure hunt."

Like someone else suggested, look for display cases. You may have better luck at antique stores.

Also, what is it with the dealers leaving the blade in the razor? Is that supposed to be a plus to some collectors?

Top Bottom