What's new

Kelbert manual watch

I have a Kelbert manual wind wristwatch that belonged to my grandfather. I think it's classy, but understated. It doesn't keep perfect time, but for my purposes, it's close enough; it tends to lose a few minutes here and there. It might just need a cleaning?

I searched on B&B a couple of ways and Kelbert did not pop up. I don't have many watches, and I suspect my more modern ones are more appealing to the masses. eBay showed a few for sale and I'm still ferreting around looking for more information on these. Any and all comments are welcome.

Last edited:

Billski

Here I am, 1st again.
You have a coveted watch. I'd like to have a wind up watch.

I would take that watch to more than one local jeweler and get opinions about it.

Please only take it to a jeweler if that jeweler is also a watchmaker. Most of them are NOT, though they try to make minor repairs. It would be a shame for someone thinking they know what they're doing to ruin your heirloom.

Pics!!

I have a Kelbert manual wind wristwatch that belonged to my grandfather. I think it's classy, but understated. It doesn't keep perfect time, but for my purposes, it's close enough; it tends to lose a few minutes here and there. It might just need a cleaning?

I searched on B&B a couple of ways and Kelbert did not pop up. I don't have many watches, and I suspect my more modern ones are more appealing to the masses. eBay showed a few for sale and I'm still ferreting around looking for more information on these. Any and all comments are welcome.

I'll take some photos and post those later today. That little exercise is a real chore for me because I don't have an easy way to use the camera in my phone (not a smart phone) and upload it to my PC. I have to take them with my digital camera, transfer to PC, then browse to that folder then upload to here.

You have a coveted watch. I'd like to have a wind up watch. I would take that watch to more than one local jeweler and get opinions about it.

I was wearing the Kelbert recently when I was in a jewelry store having the owner/gemologist/jeweler put a battery in my long neglected Danial Mink. I took it off to show him and he said the case is definitely gold because it has held up so well. He also described it as Rose Gold which surprised me as I thought that came about long after this watch was made.

Please only take it to a jeweler if that jeweler is also a watchmaker. Most of them are NOT, though they try to make minor repairs. It would be a shame for someone thinking they know what they're doing to ruin your heirloom.

I always have a certain guy replace my modern watch batteries. AFAIK, he is a certified gemologist but not a watchmaker. In this tiny town I doubt we even have one, but I'm in Louisville KY on occasion for another purpose and I'm sure they have one there.

With due respect to your jeweller, there's a world of difference between changing batteries and servicing a manual wind watch. While they are pretty simple to do, it still is a completely different world with completely different sets of tools and equipment. There are watchmakers that take work through the mail so that might be an option. Just remember that these types of services cost money, but the training and expertise of an actual watchmaker is well worth the investment.

With due respect to your jeweller, there's a world of difference between changing batteries and servicing a manual wind watch. While they are pretty simple to do, it still is a completely different world with completely different sets of tools and equipment. There are watchmakers that take work through the mail so that might be an option. Just remember that these types of services cost money, but the training and expertise of an actual watchmaker is well worth the investment.

Understood, and thanks for taking the time to reply. I think I know this guy well enough that if something is above his head, he'll send it to 'someone' who is competent. As far as watchmakers working through the mail, I wouldn't know where to start. That is, unless someone here would recommend someone they have used and with whom they are satisfied.

BTW, although this is a small town operation, he is a Rolex dealer and this is where I bought my two Movados.

I forgot to mention something earlier. The hour hand on this watch became misaligned a bit such that when it's on the hour, it points slightly ahead of the actual hour. It's keeping pretty darn good time but the hand bothers me. Does that sound like something that would require a real professional?

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
I forgot to mention something earlier. The hour hand on this watch became misaligned a bit such that when it's on the hour, it points slightly ahead of the actual hour. It's keeping pretty darn good time but the hand bothers me. Does that sound like something that would require a real professional?

Unless you want to risk breaking an heirloom, I would let someone who knows what they are doing fix it.

$worthless.gif

Removing and realigning the hands on a watch is a simple operation with simple tools. My training is FAR from complete and I can do this in my sleep. That said, you want your heirloom to work and continue to do so. A proper service by a trained professional is the best way to ensure this. You might try the NAWCC and / or ACWI websites (just Google the acronyms). You can find qualified watchmakers through both organizations.

Removing and realigning the hands on a watch is a simple operation with simple tools. My training is FAR from complete and I can do this in my sleep. That said, you want your heirloom to work and continue to do so. A proper service by a trained professional is the best way to ensure this. You might try the NAWCC and / or ACWI websites (just Google the acronyms). You can find qualified watchmakers through both organizations.

Thanks for the leads, I needed somewhere or something to begin looking.

Thanks for the leads, I needed somewhere or something to begin looking.

Sorry I didn't help more like 5 posts ago, but I just wasn't thinking. If you can't find anybody with those two sites (they're not the best) PM me with your city and zip and I'll ask around on some of the horology forums. As I said, my training isn't far enough along to touch a family heirloom or I'd do it for you. I have very strict rules about accepting watches based on my personal abilities and limitations.

$Kelbert 002.jpg$Kelbert 001.jpg

Sorry for the delay but here is obverse and reverse. The clarity could be a bit better, my apologies there.

Thanks Scott, that's not very far. I haven't heard of Hilliard OH, but no big deal, I'm sure I can find it.

<edit> Just checked that's in/near Columbus, I've been there many times.

Last edited:
Top Bottom