What's new

Helicopter ?

Hello Everyone

I will be taking my first helicopter ride soon and was wondering if you think I will have issues shooting thru the windows on it. I'm worried about reflections and such.

Thanks for any insight you can give

Shouldn't be too much of a problem. Shot a lot out of Blackhawk windows. If there's bright son you might want a polarizer.

Thanks I'm hoping he will let me shoot out of the Windows and not keep them closed. Found out it will be a
bell jet ranger 206B they will be using

Having logged over 2,000 hours in Army helicopters, it's not the machine you have to worry about, it's the person flying it that should be your primary concern...........All kidding aside, enjoy the ride! It's a blast.

Legion

Staff member
Keep the camera as close as you can to the window, but not touching. In the same way, avoid the temptation to steady yourself by leaning against any part of the chopper. It will transfer vibration to the camera, and cause camera shake.

Having logged over 2,000 hours in Army helicopters, it's not the machine you have to worry about, it's the person flying it that should be your primary concern...........All kidding aside, enjoy the ride! It's a blast.

I'm hoping while not shooting pics he may have a spirited side. Island hopping and buzzing the water should be a blast if I can get him to do it.

I'm hoping while not shooting pics he may have a spirited side. Island hopping and buzzing the water should be a blast if I can get him to do it.

Are you using a GoPro or something similar or are we talking still photos? The main thing is to concentrate on enjoying the ride/experience and not concentrating on taking photos out the window. If you ask me, anyway........

Hopefully he'll go low. Flying in the fastest aircraft in the world isn't too impressive when you're at altitude. Flying at 120mph 50 feet above the terrain/water is quite awesome.

Using a Nikon d5100 and my wife is using a Nikon S9900 . No go pro unfortunately but both cameras are capable of video. Maybe that's what we'll do.

Keep the camera as close as you can to the window, but not touching. In the same way, avoid the temptation to steady yourself by leaning against any part of the chopper. It will transfer vibration to the camera, and cause camera shake.

^as he said.
copter is great photo platform with great range and maneuverability.
the bell is great, but keep ground speed slow.
keep shutter between 1/1000 and 1/2000.
Medium zoom from 35mm to 120mm (full frame equivalent)
VR off. Auto focus on auto or center weight.
aperture ideally f/4 to f/8.
polarizer is nice but cuts down exposure a lot, so I don't use.
watch the horizon and try to keep small sliver of blue sky in top of photo for perspective
watch out not to include skids or blades in the frame
be sure to have plenty of card space and battery strength so you don't have to futz while in the air.
watch for patterns, leading lines, interesting reflections.
mornings seem best time, with nice shadows and calmer winds.
keep in mind option to put together 'slide show movie' afterwards.
enjoy!

$image.jpg

I have the misfortune to have to ride a Seahawk during desert storm as a door gunner.. if I never get into another helicopter it will be far too soon

Top Bottom