What's new

When does it end?

So I have always loved fine pens and have collected many over the years; Parker Duofolds, Montblancs, Cross', Watermans etc.......all in Ballpoint. I know, silly me. Well I kept browsing this forum and looking and looking but trying to JUST LOOK. So I was in Staples for some office supplies for the house and bought a Cross Bailey Fountain pen at Staples for $20 on sale, well that was a rabbit hole I didnt see coming! I then quickly bought a Twsbi 580AL, now I just pulled the trigger on a Lamy 2000. I can not stop thinking of a Visconti Homo Sapiens now! Jesus! Right before XMas no less. I could never ask SWMBO for a $600 pen as she would think I have totally lost it and try to have me committed! But boy oh boy do I keep lusting over this pen. I need HELP! Dont even get me started on how many ink samples I have and more on the way. Then there is the new Rhodia paper I just received, RUINED ME! How the hell am I supposed to use cheap legal pads now? I got my first Rhodia on Saturday and just ordered a 10 pack. I can see this getting way worse than my DE shaving spends! What are you people doing to me? I need a 12 step program asap.

Step 1:

Buy the Visconti Homo Sapiens:

Step 2:

Come up with a good excuse for when SWMBO confronts you....

and so on and so forth....Seriously; Welcome to the rabbit hole:lol:

Our 12-step program:

1. Buy a fountain pen.
  2. Buy another fountain pen.
  3. Buy another fountain pen.
  4. Buy another fountain pen.
  5. Buy another fountain pen.
  6. Buy another fountain pen.
  7. Buy another fountain pen.
  8. Buy another fountain pen.
  9. Buy another fountain pen.
  10. Buy another fountain pen.
  11. Buy another fountain pen.
  12. Buy another fountain pen.
After that, you're on your own. :001_rolle

If you really want help, setup a self-imposed restraint and check out my signature.

I fell down the rabbit hole in January 2015 myself, and I'm at a point where my pen, and ink purchases have leveled off. I did buy a custom envelope maker recently, and that is kind of fun. I'm trying to find more ways to enjoy the gear I have and quit browsing for sale notices on fountain pens, eBay, etc. I also picked up some pen pals, which keeps me busy writing and using my gear.

strop

Now half as wise
Our 12-step program:

1. Buy a fountain pen.
  2. Buy another fountain pen.
  3. Buy another fountain pen.
  4. Buy another fountain pen.
  5. Buy another fountain pen.
  6. Buy another fountain pen.
  7. Buy another fountain pen.
  8. Buy another fountain pen.
  9. Buy another fountain pen.
  10. Buy another fountain pen.
  11. Buy another fountain pen.
  12. Buy another fountain pen.
After that, you're on your own. :001_rolle

Perfect!:thumbup::001_cool:

Oh boy you guys are NO help! lol. I see where this is headed you bunch of enablers!!! My poor wallet, it is very scared right now and will be very lonely soon. Off to look at some more Iroshizuku inks.

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
I need a 12 step program asap.

1. We admitted we were powerless over FPAD—that our lives had become unmanageable.
  2. Came to believe that a Power greater than ourselves could help us find our grail pen.
  3. Made a decision to turn our will and our lives over to the search for the Grail Pen as we knew it.
  4. Made a searching and fearless inventory of our pens and inks.
  5. Admitted to God, to ourselves, and to another human being the rampant nature of our FPAD.
  6. Were entirely ready to have God lead us toward our Grail Pen.
  7. Humbly asked Him to remove our ballpoints.
  8. Made a list of all persons we had borrowed pens from, and sort of promised to return them eventually.
  9. Borrowed another pen from such people wherever possible, except when to do so would injure them or others.
  10. Continued to take personal inventory, and when we were missing a really cool pen, promptly bought it.
  11. Sought through Binder and e-bay to improve our vintage collection, praying only for knowledge of really cool pens and the power to snipe them.
  12. Having had a spiritual awakening as the result of these steps, we tried to carry this message to other FPADers, and to practice these principles in all our affairs.

1. We admitted we were powerless over FPAD—that our lives had become unmanageable.
  2. Came to believe that a Power greater than ourselves could help us find our grail pen.
  3. Made a decision to turn our will and our lives over to the search for the Grail Pen as we knew it.
  5. Admitted to God, to ourselves, and to another human being the rampant nature of our FPAD.
  8. Made a list of all persons we had borrowed pens from, and sort of promised to return them eventually.
  9. Borrowed another pen from such people wherever possible, except when to do so would injure them or others.
  10. Continued to take personal inventory, and when we were missing a really cool pen, promptly bought it.
  11. Sought through Binder and e-bay to improve our vintage collection, praying only for knowledge of really cool pens and the power to snipe them.
  12. Having had a spiritual awakening as the result of these steps, we tried to carry this message to other FPADers, and to practice these principles in all our affairs.

And don't forget to go to the meetings.

Up to step 4, its not helping!

Once you go down the rabbit hole there is no return. I collect vintage fountain pens, the core of my collection are Esterbrooks, mixing in several vintage and modern Waterman, several vintage Sheaffers. There never seems to an end to the selections.

I just discover Tomoe River paper, I'm very impressed. I do quite a bit of letter writing, so going through a pad of 100 sheets happens quickly.

Enjoy the hobby there could be several hobbies that could be far worse.

strop

Now half as wise
Finger painting is incredibly soothing.

proxy.php

Top Bottom