What's new

Anyone for Soup?

Now that the weather is cooling down, I regularly get the urge for a nice, steaming-hot bowl of soup. I thought I'd share one of my favorite recipes (I just made a pot yesterday) and see if anyone else had some favorites they'd like to add.

This one is spicy, hearty, healthy, and filling. It's also vegetarian (if you leave out the chicken stock and use water or veggie stock), but it's so substantial, you don't miss the meat.

Curried Lentil and Spinach Soup

Makes 6-8 Main Course Servings

Ingredients
2 tablespoons Olive Oil
1 ½ cups Onion, Chopped
1 cup Celery, Chopped
1 cup Carrots, Peeled and Chopped
3 Garlic Cloves, Minced
1 tablespoon Madras Curry Powder
1 tablespoon Fresh Ginger, Minced
1 teaspoon Ground Cumin
1 Bay Leaf
¼ teaspoon dried, crushed Red Pepper
9 ½ cups (or more) Water (I substitute 4 cups of low-salt Chicken Broth for part of the water)
1 16-ounce bag Dried Lentils (about 2 ½ cups)
1 6-ounce bag Baby Spinach Leaves
½ cup Fresh Cilantro, Chopped
½ cup Plain Yogurt

Preparation
Heat oil in large, heavy pot over medium-high heat. Add onion, celery, carrot, and garlic. Sauté until golden, about 10 minutes. Stir in curry powder, ginger, cumin, bay leaf, and red pepper flakes. Cook briefly until spices are fragrant. Add lentils and 9 ½ cups water/chicken stock. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer uncovered until lentils are tender (30 minutes to one hour; check lentils frequently for doneness.) Add additional water as needed, ½ cup at a time, if the soup gets too thick. (Optional: Transfer half of the soup to a large, heat-proof bowl and puree with an immersion blender. Return puree to the pot and reheat before adding spinach.) Add spinach and cilantro leaves. Simmer until spinach is wilted, about 5 minutes. Season to taste with salt and freshly-ground pepper.

(Can be made one day ahead. Chill soup uncovered, then cover and keep refrigerated. Rewarm soup over medium heat, thinning with water if desired before serving.)

Ladle soup into bowls. Top each serving with a spoonful of yogurt.

Notes
I like spicy food, so I usually increase the amount of garlic, curry powder, cumin, and red pepper by about 50%.

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
Looks great Larry. I love lentil's. Copied, saved and printed.

If you like lentils try this recipe from langod (Jim). It is a soup that will never leave my rotation:

http://wiki.badgerandblade.com/Red_Lentil_Dal

$Red Lentil Dal.jpg

Wow these both sound great. Love the idea of adding spinach in the first recipe and the second recipe (lentil dal) sounds awesome because of the curry and coconut milk.

Here's one that I came up with. I was looking for a way to use up some leftover smoked brisket. (I know, "leftover" and "brisket" in the same sentence shouldn't happen.)
It was based on something else and I adapted it. I came out WAY better than I imagined. (I can't remember if I've posted it here before, but anyway.....)

Smoked Brisket Soup

1-2 cups chopped smoked brisket (a few Tbs reserved)
1 medium onion, chopped
1/2 red or green pepper, diced
1 can Rotel (or 1 c chopped tomatoes)
8-10 small red potatoes (1.5-2" dia), cut into 8ths (or about 1/2" dice)
3 cup chicken broth
1 cup beef broth
1 cup milk
1 Tbs dry rub
1 tsp chipotle powder (or chili powder)
Salt to taste
Oil for sauteeing

In a stock pot or dutch oven, saute onion, potatoes and peppers in oil until onions and peppers are soft. (potatoes will still be hard)
Add broths, brisket, Rotel, dry rub salt, and chipotle powder. Simmer until potatoes are soft. Check spices and adjust to taste (more salt, more rub, add hot sauce, whatever....)
Add milk and bring back to serving temp. (The milk doesn't make it creamy, just adds some more body)

Serve garnished with a little shredded cheddar cheese and few pieces of reserved brisket.
----
I didn't thicken it, but I bet doing so -- and adding more milk or cream -- would make this like a delicious "Brisket Chowdah".

Sounds delicious.

I have been making some lentil soups and chicken soups lately. Still have some lentils laying around, so I will have to give this a whirl. Thanks.

I have been trying to talk my wife into attempting Chinese Hot and Sour soup, which as far as I am concerned is the apex of soups.

She looks at the recipe and ingredients list, and tells me to go to a Chinese restaurant.

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
Thai Chicken Noodle Soup
4 servings
25 oz chicken stock
½ tsp turmeric
1 tbsp fish sauce
2 garlic cloves minced
1 small chili, chopped
2 tbsp soy sauce
1 tsp brown sugar
1 tbsp lime juice
8 oz lite coconut milk
1 tsp sesame oil
1 Bay leaf
1 star anise
2 cinnamon logs
1/2 Lemon peeling-yellow part only or lemon grass
Thumb sized ginger sliced in chunks or ½ tbsp grated
Salt and pepper
Toppings
Pre-cooked Rice noodles
Pre-cooked chicken breast or thighs shredded
1 Green onion chopped
Few springs of cilantro
Slice Jalapeño
Juice of a small wedge of lime
Slice of hardboiled egg

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
Leek & Potato Soup

Ingredients

2 leaks washed and sliced fine
4 russet potatoes diced in small squares.
1-2 tablespoons of vegetable oil
S&P
Pinch of thyme
3 cloves of garlic
2 cans of veggie or chicken stock
water as needed
1/2 cup half & half or milk.

Process
Heat oil in large pot. Throw in the leaks, thyme and garlic. Cook down for about 10 minutes. Throw in potatoes and stock. Add water or more stock as needed. Cook until the potatoes are soft. Turn off heat. Purée with an immersion blender until smooth. Pour in milk and stir until blended. Garnish with parsley. Add a little Parmesan cheese.

With and without the goodies on top.
$IMG_0400.jpg$IMG_0403.jpg

I have been trying to talk my wife into attempting Chinese Hot and Sour soup, which as far as I am concerned is the apex of soups.

She looks at the recipe and ingredients list, and tells me to go to a Chinese restaurant.
A man should not only be able to shave himself, but also to cook for himself! :tongue_sm Give it a try...it might not be as bad as it looks and it might even be fun!

A man should not only be able to shave himself, but also to cook for himself! :tongue_sm Give it a try...it might not be as bad as it looks and it might even be fun!

Oh, I can cook the basics, but Chinese Hot and Sour is clearly out of my league. Plus, stuff tastes better when you can talk someone else into making it.

Alacrity59

Wanting for wisdom

You might find a recipe I posted that has a shortcut using sriracha. Quick and quite good.

Hot and Sour Soup doesn't have to be hard to make. Plus it's not a soup that has to simmer all day. This takes about an hour total.
A few odd, but easy to find ingredients and you're good to go. The Golden Needles are the toughest to find, but any Asian Market will have them, or get them online. (The soup is also fine without them.) Everything else should be available at a well-stocked grocery store.

Hot and Sour Soup

INGREDIENTS
14 oz chicken broth
4 Wood Ears
12 Golden Needles (dried lily flowers)
1 C shredded cooked pork or chicken, or raw shrimp,
4 Dried ****ake Mushrooms
several dried hot peppers
1/2 package firm tofu, 1/2" cubed
2 Tbs vinegar
1 Tbs soy sauce
1 tsp sugar
1 Tbs black pepper
2 Tbs cornstarch
1/4 c water
1 egg, beaten
2 scallions, chopped
Sesame Oil
Siracha Sauce

DIRECTIONS
Soak Wood Ears, Golden Needles and dried mushrooms in warm water for about 15 minutes until softened.
Discard water. Cut the hard tips off of the golden needles (discard) and cut the needles in half.
Slice wood ears and mushrooms into bite size pieces, dicarding stems.
Mix Vinegar, Soy Sauce, Sugar and Black Pepper.
In a saucepan, dilute chicken broth with equal amount of water and bring to a boil.
Add Wood Ears, Golden Needles, dried peppers (count them!) and mushrooms -- simmer for 10 minutes.
Add shrimp/pork/chicken.
Add tofu and soy sauce mixture.
Simmer for 30 minutes. Remove dried peppers. (aren't you glad you counted?)
Taste soup, adjust salt, vinegar, soy. Add Siracha if desired.
Combine cornstarch and water to make a slurry. Add to soup to thicken.
Remove from heat – very gently stir in egg.
Serve, garnished with Scallions and Sesame Oil.

Top Bottom