What's new

Shave sticks for traveling

I just took a trip and packed an Arko shave stick to save room while packing. It worked pretty well but I found that it left a heavy residue on my blade. It was so heavy that I had to remove the blade several times per pass to wipe off the goo (I was shaving with an SE and the gap between the blade and the guard kept getting clogged.)

So, I liked the convenience of the stick but didn't like the Arko's residue (and, of course, the smell was funky.) With that in mind, what do others suggest for a good shave stick that might not clog up the razor as quickly. Of course I recognize that YMMV applies here. Has anyone used the Shave Stick product from The Shaving Den?

Thanks everyone :thumbup1:

Karl

Sounds like you needed more water to thin out your Arko lather a little. I have had similar issues with it in the past. My current travel stick is DR Harris Almond. I haven't found a water it doesn't lather well in yet.

Yup, blade clogging up with lather is usually from lather that is too thick. It should easily rinse out.

Bob

As said above, if you are getting too much clogging in your razor you are not using enough water.

Here is a great post on how to use a shave stick.

I have a Mystic Water shave stick and it'll clog like that--when I don't use enough water, as mentioned above or use too much product. I find my stubble is really good at pulling soap from the stick, even if I can't see it, and if I'm not careful I get overloaded.

La Toja makes a nice shave stick. Slick. Not the most moisturizing. An added bonus is that at 50gm you can put it in your carry on without TSA hassle.

I agree with this. Also, try La Toja. Works great and smells like a morning at the beach.

Sounds like you needed more water to thin out your Arko lather a little. I have had similar issues with it in the past. My current travel stick is DR Harris Almond. I haven't found a water it doesn't lather well in yet.

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
One of the factors where you get that issue could be that you need a tiny bit more water when you build the lather. Your question really depends on personal preferences but also local water.

Some shave soap (let's agree that a shave soap puck and a shave stick are both a shave soap in a different shape), will perform better or worse depending on your local water (soft water vs hard water).

Also, your technique will influence what you get in the end along with the brush. The shave brush that I am currently using doesn't seem to build the lather as efficently. I think it's because it's not broken in yet. I will need to change brush and see.

However, shave sticks are a different medium than a puck. My suggestion would be to use a stick that works well in hard water, then you can possibly travel anywhere. Use that soap before traveling so you know how it works. Some require more products, some more water, some less of everything.

If it can give you an idea, I have hard water and still trying new sticks: http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php/310894-Shave-Sticks-Review-Project

I like Tabac, Lea. Speick stick for home or travelling.

Also Valobra, Wilkinson sword stick, and often times if I have a little left over from a puck that I like or don`t wish to be wasteful I then keep those tid bits for travelling as well. You`d be amazed just a little bit like an inch or so size soap can go along way.

Last edited:
I use a stadium cup to hold the hot water. You stick the razor into the water and do the whip and the nae-nae to clean off the soap. I find simply rinsing under the tap isn't as effective with tallow soaps.

I just picked up a Tabac stick for a vacation I'll be going on in a couple of weeks. My face lathering skills are still in their infancy so I need to use more water to prevent the goo build up.

I use DE and push out the Arko from one of those plastic stick holders from West Coast Shaving. I carry a small lather bowl; there are ones from China for $5 or less on eBay. Scrape off Arko flakes with thumbnail, mix in bowl with plenty of water. No problem. For variety I occasionally use a tube of India Old Spice Cream.
As for the Arko smell, I am one of the people who likes its old-time soap fragrance.

La Toja is nice to travel with, both because it is a nice soap and because it comes in a handy plastic holder that packs easily without messing up the shave kit.

The best one I have found is D.R. Harris. Great lather like their soap and very convenient packaging, twist up like a deodorant stick. The y make them in all their scents, I believe. Definitely the easiest for travel.

La Toja is a great soap stick and comes in a very nice plastic container. I keep a Palmolive stick in a pill bottle in my travel kit.

It worked pretty well but I found that it left a heavy residue on my blade. It was so heavy that I had to remove the blade several times per pass to wipe off the goo (I was shaving with an SE and the gap between the blade and the guard kept getting clogged.)
Don't blame the soap. You need to adjust your lather.

Top Bottom