What's new

Indian shaving creams reviews

All the Godrej creams perform the same. Great cream for the price. Great lather, slick...if your face can tolerate lanolin. I've read that the Old Spice cream was reformulated recently. I don't know how it is now, but the cream I have from 2011 or thereabouts was good. Not as good as Godrej, but good. And also a huge scent bomb.

I've told this story a few times here already, but I still can't believe how hard it's been for me to find Indian shave goods here in the New York City area, despite its very large Indian community with plenty of stores. I've only ever seen Dettol (Cool and Fresh) and Park Ave., and those only in one small spot in the biggest Indian supermarket.

I'm almost done with the Dettols, and though they're pretty good, I don't expect to be buying them again. The face feel afterward is nothing special.

Some time ago an Indian colleague kindly brought me two tubes of Godrej (Cool Menthol and Lime Fresh). I'll turn to them at some point. The scents are parallel to what I have with the Dettols, but I hope they're a step up.

I have not tried Godrej. I ordered both Yardley creams, blue and gold, and like both just fine. Both are scented heavily.

I also ordered all 3 varieties of Old Spice cream. I have been gifting them. Not real slick, but not terrible performance. The scents are not at all good to me. I can't detect old spice, lime or musk in any of them really. Not a bad scent, just not what I thought it should be. I guess the older stuff had a decent scent......

The thread malocchio listed is great. He knows his creams!

I love the Indian creams. I have Godrej ( Deluxe and Menthol), Old Spice (regular and lime), Dettol Cool, Vicco Turmeric, Axe Denim, Palmolive Lemon, and Yardley Gold. I also recommend trying a Godrej shave round if you can find them. Great bang for your buck performance.

The Indian Creams thread is a must read. There are lots of great reviews there. I've become a huge fan of Godrej since I found it at local Indian markets. I wish the local vendors had some of the others. I think all three are great. I like the lime scent the best. The menthol version has a very strong menthol kick, significantly stronger than Proraso green.

I put my finger on the drawback of the Dettol creams -- they're drying. I really feel like I need a lotion after using them.

Which Indian creams do not have this tendency?

I just bought some Old Spice original and musk shaving cream. The ones still made by Shulton just before P&G took it completely over. When I get a chance I plan on hitting the Indian grocery stores for other shaving brand creams. So many choices and only one shave a day.....

Last edited:
I have the non reformulated OS cream, its quite good, strong scent, but leaves me kinda dry =/

I have the godrej red tube, nice stuff, kinda artificial scent :/

Both good to have though!

I just noticed that these South Asian grocery stores tend to carry wetshaving stuff.

They also sometimes have Admiral and Touchme Shaving cream, as well as safety razors made in Pakistan/India

I`ve just hit the Indian grocery stores, picked up Park Avenue, Vicco Tumeric, Yardley Elegence, Axe Denim, I saw various Palmolive Indian ones and Detol and Super max but I`ll save those for later purchases providng if they`re still around. The thing I find about Asian markets grocery stores is everything is seasonal or buy it now or they might not restock them again. I didn`t want to buy too many creams in one go because I don`t think I can use everything up with my present stock of various soaps and creams. I do like using soaps and creams when they`re reasonably fresh.

Last edited:
I have not tried Godrej but some months ago I got a couple tubes of India Old Spice. I would call the OS "functional". The 70g tube fits well in a travel kit. With 1.5cm of product and a typical wet-brush stir, it does lather. It goes on the face and provides the expected cushion against a raw blade. As a cream, it does ok in tandem with a pre-shave oil.
In terms of it being anything like the OS that I know, it simply is not. I detect no fragrance. Shaving with it is not any kind of an aromatherapeutic experience. Some have posted that they actually detected an undesirable smell in some way, though I did not. Overall and for whatever reasons, India OS cream does not completely live up to an OS name. When I deplete the tubes that I have, I may or may not replentish.
As always and with everything, YMMV.

I'm Indian and grew up with these. There are no better creams/soaps at this price point. Having said that, Godrej cannot compete with the best i.e. the likes of ADP.

I'll say one thing - the majority of the Indian creams which I've tried are top-quality and not expensive at all. I tend to gravitate a little more towards the Godrej variants, especially the menthol one.

What about Dettol and Old SPice Lather Cream?
I feel like Godrej might be slicker because it has Lanolin in it

Anyone also familiar with the Pakistani creams such as Admiral or Touchme?

i just love the scent of godrej. Very spicy and as usual, gives a great shave. Too bad its such a small amount for so much money. A tub of it would be great.

Top Bottom