What's new

Rv

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
I'm getting older but retirement is still somewhat far away. I would love to travel to other places in the US. Mainly camping grounds and hiking parks. I'm not really interested in big cities and I don't want to pull a trailer. The huge motor coaches do not interest me either. Does anyone own a motorized camper? Show us a picture. Tell us the good the bad and the ugly about them.

A friend of mine has a Roadtrek, which is a van that has table(s), a sleeping area, small refrigerator, stovetop, toilet, and shower (features are customizable depending on the model). Might be worth looking into.

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
Stephen, for the life of me I couldn't remember the name of those and that's exactly what I want. They are pricey compared to a regular pull trailer but that's it. Thank you.

There is one point to consider if you are speaking of a motorhome or motorized camper. The most common major failure of a camping unit is in the drive train. If you are in a trailer, that means that you still have a place to stay while the tow vehicle is being repaired. If you are in a motorhome, your living area and most of your possessions are in the shop and unsecured.

There is one point to consider if you are speaking of a motorhome or motorized camper. The most common major failure of a camping unit is in the drive train. If you are in a trailer, that means that you still have a place to stay while the tow vehicle is being repaired. If you are in a motorhome, your living area and most of your possessions are in the shop and unsecured.

Interesting note. I wonder what the failure rate on those is, though. Although my wife and I are a LOOOONG way from retirement, aside from hitting the lottery that neither of us play, I'd love to own an RV of some sort one day. Then yesterday, I found out that Disney World has an RV campground (Fort Wilderness) on site, and all of a sudden I want one NOW!

I don't own one, but the neighbors have one and SWMBO's late father used to own one. The one bad thing I know about them is they're gas hogs. With gas below $2 a gallon it's not bad, but when prices are high they can be expensive. I don't know from personal experience but my understanding is that it's a good time to buy them when oil prices are up as people can't afford to use them.

My gals grandmother had an Allegro bus 2006 model. 150 gallon fuel tank, 6-7 miles per gallon $3-4 diesel cost was $135,000.....that's a lot of me driving my Shelby mustang to the next Hyatt for road trips or flying to Europe a dozen times :)

don't know, just never grasped the motor home thing. I see camper trailers, park them and drive your truck around.

$winne.jpg

want to hear about the time I carted some princess around the universe ? Hey no that really Happened.

Commander Quan

Commander Yellow Pantyhose
I would love to do an RV trip across the country, but that is my wife's personal version of Hell.

If you think it would only get occasional use for trips, and you're not setting up at the second closest KOA every weekend, you should look into renting. For around 2 Grand+fuel you can rent an RV for 2 weeks, and not have to worry about maintenance or storage the rest of the year.

I saved a ton of $ and got exactly what I wanted by buying a new Truck and making my own motor RV. This, of course takes a little work and creativity. I probably saved $50,000 by doing it myself.

Look for one built on a Mercedes-Benz Sprinter platform. They use a 5 cylinder diesel engine and get great mileage. Smaller RV.

Mike

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
As has been said, there are advantages to a trailer. You can set it up and if you need to go get supplies, do a little sightseeing, ect. you can leave the trailer set up and take your truck for a spin without breaking camp or leaving your site vacant.

We saw someone pulling one of these last weekend...looked interesting.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NVaUdOYQDiY

If you want to go minimalist you could look in to one of these. :001_smile

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XDzgJyZXMvE

Top Bottom