What's new

replacement of Pelikan M800?

What's your budget? If you really enjoyed the 800, then I would replace it with another 800, but I would suggest one of the earlier ones with the gold disc on the blind cap (and one with a 14k nib if you can find one). I have one of the second generation ones with the gold disc, and I really like the look of the disc and Pelikan derby that came on those than any of the versions that came after that. It seems like they come up fairly regularly on auction sites, and the bidding usually ends at about $250. I think that the $250 range is reasonble for the 800, but do think the new retail price is a bit rediculous.

Thanks Justin. No budget really other than SWMBO restrictions. Paid $325 for a green M800 with gold disc. Liked it a lot.

I'll go hunting on the auction sites and agree that the new prices are just too much!

I'm actually in the market for an M800 (Green) or M805 Stresemann. I've been carrying a Namiki Falcon SF for a few years. I love it but I need more weight. Pro's and cons of the Pelikans?

Well the 800 is definitely heavier and is a fatter pen. I've owned both and imho, the Pelikan had a smother nib. The Pelikan is a piston filler too, which I prefer. The nib on the Falcon did have more spring to it though...I still own the Pelikan, but sold the Falcon.

nemo

Lunatic Fringe
Staff member
Are you looking for a source to replace your lost pen or an alternative to the M800? I'm not clear on your question.

Are you looking for a source to replace your lost pen or an alternative to the M800? I'm not clear on your question.
I wasnt really clear on that either, I thought you were adding a pen to the collection. If so do you like the size of the M800 ? I love my Aurora 88, as well as my Visconti Homo Sapiens

strop

Now half as wise
A very generous member recently loaned me a Visconti Homo Sapiens. To say I'm impressed is an understatement. I love my M800 Streseman, but this pen is every bit a rival. Slightly longer and slightly heavier, it feels great in the hand unposted, but a little top heavy if posted. it is also a piston filler with a very smooth but firm nib.

Thank you all for your responses and advice. I asked the question because at the time of the request, I had lost my B&B A6 and my green Pelikan M800. I keep both with me everyday. Fortunately, a good Samaritan found my kit and returned both to me, so my loss has been restored. Good news for me.

Thank you all for your responses and advice. I asked the question because at the time of the request, I had lost my B&B A6 and my green Pelikan M800. I keep both with me everyday. Fortunately, a good Samaritan found my kit and returned both to me, so my loss has been restored. Good news for me.
Great news that you had your pens returned.

That is great news, but not a very good reason not to get another pen!:thumbup:
+1

The 805 Stresemann is one of the most elegant pens I have ever laid eyes on. If you like the 800 series I highly recommend the Stresemann. The Homo Sapiens is excellent as well.

This sounds like a GREAT reason to get a Backup pen... or a backup for the backup, you know - just in case!

I have 2 Pelikans. An 805 and a 405. I would suggest some new blood to your stable. The Pilot Custom 823. You will find that the nibs are better and the pump fill is amazing. Look at the reviews. It is the favorite pen of at least one person who writes pen blogs for a living. I have a Pilot Custom 74 and 823- they stay inked. My Pelikans are empty and stored.

Top Bottom