What's new

Tell me a story: a leather jacket PIF

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
Ok, so I have this leather jacket I never wear, so why not PIF it? It is an extra large, and probably a middle weight leather. It is in good repair. So, what are the rules? Due to money considerations, I have to keep this CONUS only. This will be a subjective PIF. I like PIFs that make the PIFee be a little creative. So, say "I'm in", then tell me a story involving a leather jacket. It could be something in the past, or it could be what you are going to do if you win it. It could be real, or it could be total fiction. It can be funny, or it could be serious. It is all up to you. I just want some thought put into it. I want the followers to enjoy coming back to read new posts in the thread. I will ill keep this going until 30NOV2015, to be mailed out on the first of December. I have a funny story that really happened, which I will include later.

Attachments

• $image.jpg
    $image.jpg
    54.1 KB · Views: 239

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
Wow! I'm not in, nor do I have any stories. I just felt compelled to comment on your generosity. On behalf of the winner, thanks.
It is a small thing compared to what I have received here in info and all around gentlemanliness

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
Okay, here is my leather jacket story. My wife used to clean house for a very rich family. One December, she was working late to help out at their Christmas party. It was a fancy affair. They had a snow machine (I live in Fort Worth, TX) and they rented a live reindeer. Everything was going good, but then the reindeer got loose. I decided to help the handlers get it back. So, here I am with 4 other guys, chasing a reindeer around a neighborhood in Texas. Not something you see everyday. I managed to get it cornered with a six foot fence behind him. As I go and reach in to grab the rope, he bites onto my leather jacket, jerks his head, ripping the leather, then does a flat footed leap over the fence like it wasn't there. At that point I was done- I wasn't getting paid for this.

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
Oh, and you may be wondering how they got him back. They brought in a female reindeer, and shortly there after the buck showed up. Luckily, the kids didn't get to see a magic moment :biggrin:

Wow! What a great PIF! I'm in!

So here's a story for you about this leather jacket's travels:

It's early December and along with all the holiday packages getting delivered, there is an extra special one on its way to my house. One fateful day, it shows up on my doorstep and my wife and daughter ask what on earth I ordered. "Santa sent me his own leather jacket for the holidays," I respond. My wife assumes I bought it, but my daughter still believes in Santa so she plays along. "How can we tell it was Santa Claus's leather jacket?" My daughter asks. I remind my daughter of Rudolph the red nosed reindeer and how excited he gets for carrots. I then knowingly point to a set of teeth marks on the jacket and tell my daughter that the marks match Rudolph's teeth perfectly. Both my wife and daughter are speechless. A couple weeks later, Santa shows up to our house and recognizes his jacket. He leaves the best presents ever and we have a very merry Christmas.

I'll tell you a story, though I'm not sure I'll do it justice, and it's perhaps a little bit sad.

Many years ago, after a late shift at work I made a pit stop at a local gas station, and there was a bear of a fellow with a large bushy beard sitting cross legged in the middle of the gas pumps. I don't know what possessed me, but I went over and we started to talk. The fellow's name was Michael Jeffrey Lamb (he doesn't mind that I use his full name), and he was older than me by over a decade. An easy going guy, living off a trust fund and just looking for a good time. We ended up sharing many beers that night and became fast friends.

Now Mike, he had many friends--while he had money. But his trust fund, thanks to generous spending and poor investments, was running out. His expensive toys, his cars, his home, and those people who helped themselves to his generosity were vanishing quickly. Now my lady and me, we never asked for a thing, and we were there for him when he had nothing. We let him stay at our place, on the couch, an arrangement that was supposed to be temporary but ended up stretching on for many years. He cooked, he cleaned, he threw in a few bucks for rent when he could, he'd buy me beer--nothing fancy, but for a man who had so little, it was very generous. He earned his keep and then some.

He got his first job late in life, when he was 38. For someone who had lived an easy life he was a hard worker, ended up walking hours to get to work and to come home, and gave most of his earnings to his family. The one thing he bought for himself, that reminds me of Mike to this day, was a large leather duster he got on sale. He wore that thing till it was tattered. I never saw him spend his money on himself for anything but that coat. He loved that coat, and now when I see a leather jacket, I think of him.

Sadly, Mike passed one early morning, at the young age of 42. He hadn't been feeling well, but had no money to see a doctor and wouldn't accept my offer to pay for one. He was a good man, a good friend, and ended up becoming a good provider for his family. Although this happened many years ago, he is still missed.

RIP Mike.

Wow, what a reindeer story. I am not part of the PIF, but it may help others if you could possibly estimate the jacket size (e.g. 42-44 Medium) since S/M/L/XL can be quite variable.

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
Wow, what a reindeer story. I am not part of the PIF, but it may help others if you could possibly estimate the jacket size (e.g. 42-44 Medium) since S/M/L/XL can be quite variable.
I've got a 47 inch chest (had to measure to be sure) and it fits just right on me.

I'm not in, but love the stories. Great of you to PIF, Owen. I may follow your lead and PIF mine, as well, in a couple of weeks.

I'm in!! Very Nice of you. Here's my story;

For our very first Christmas as a married couple I bought my lovely new bride a beautiful long leather jacket for her to enjoy. I paid for the jacket and then paid for a service of getting it wrapped up nice and neat since I, apparently, can't wrap a present neatly to save me life. I put a lot of time and money into this gift and was very excited to give to my new wife. Christmas day came and the gift exchange happened. She opened the coat and absolutely loved it. The jacket was them neatly set aside as we prepared and ate our first Christmas dinner as a family. Lovely dinner with all the fixins. Did I mention we had a puppy, too? Well, that puppy apparently liked the flavor of the jacket, because, we came back to living room and sitting under the tree was our dog and 3/4 of the jacket. The stupid dog ate, YES ATE, an entire jacket sleeve!!! I'm pretty sure he regretted it when it started passing through his system. Everything came out fine, but I hope it hurt! Almost like a story out of Marley and ME. The dog never ate anything else he shouldn't have and my wife never even got to wear her new jacket. Oh well, life is good!!

Not in, as I'm afraid it would be to small for me. But I'll give you a quick story.

When I was 16 I bought a black leather duster at a flea market. I think it cost me $120 about 2-3 weeks pay from my part time fast food job at the time. I wore it through high school and several years after. Then it started to get a little tight and it was just so big and heavy it was always hard to find somewhere to hang it. I sold it at a garage sale a few years ago. I still see the guy wearing it around town in the winter, and it is over 20 years old now.

Great PIF I only wish I was a little skinnier, or you were a little larger (no offence).:thumbup1:

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
Not in, as I'm afraid it would be to small for me. But I'll give you a quick story.

When I was 16 I bought a black leather duster at a flea market. I think it cost me $120 about 2-3 weeks pay from my part time fast food job at the time. I wore it through high school and several years after. Then it started to get a little tight and it was just so big and heavy it was always hard to find somewhere to hang it. I sold it at a garage sale a few years ago. I still see the guy wearing it around town in the winter, and it is over 20 years old now.

Great PIF I only wish I was a little skinnier, or you were a little larger (no offence).:thumbup1:
I wish I were skinnier, too

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
Good so far guys, keep them coming. Remember- the story can be either true or pure fiction.

Top Bottom