What's new

Boar Brushes?

I've never had a knot fall out of an omega, can't say the same for Semogue.

I like both companies offerings and any boar brush lover should try both offerings. But at the end of the day I've got more omega's than Semogue's.

I agree. If only there was a family-owned company that hand-made boar brushes with exquisite turned wood and acrylic handles in different grades of boar bristle. It would be even cooler if that company made special edition brushes, boar/badger hybrids, and even well priced badger brushes. The icing on the cake would be if this company was located in a familiar, yet slightly exotic European country like, say, Portugal, and had been around for almost a hundred years.

The variety of quality and product differentiation that exists in badger brushes does not yet exist comparably in boar brushes. The slightly exotic Portugal company makes great products and is a great service to the shaving community. I would just like to see more competitive high end options.

I don't have any experience with Semogue (I hope to try one some day) but I am currently breaking in a Whipped Dog 24mm Boar. It is very different from my Omega 10066 and seems to be of higher quality. The knot has more density and the bristles are softer and have bloomed slightly even though the tips have not broken in yet or began to split. I have a thread dedicated to the brush but so far I would have to recommend it as it already shows that it is a lather making machine.

tankerjohn

A little poofier than I prefer
The variety of quality and product differentiation that exists in badger brushes does not yet exist comparably in boar brushes.

I guess I don't see that. You can get really stiff boar brushes, really soft boar brushes, big brushes, small brushes, etc. Semogue goes to the trouble of grading their knots and there really is a substantive difference them, at least as much differentiation as you get in Simpson's badger line, for example. Omega also has knots of all types. I would agree that there isn't quite the neat categories as you get with badgers - pure, best, silvertip, 2-band, etc. Though, even badger categories are fairly fungible and not universally adhered too.

The slightly exotic Portugal company makes great products and is a great service to the shaving community.

Agreed.

I would just like to see more competitive high end options.

Sure, why not. It would cool if Semogue put their SOC-knots in some different handles. I'd love an "up scale" option to Omega's Pro line, besides the Italian flag brush. I'd like to see more Vulfix boars like their London-series, with really nice fancy handles. Kent could stand to step up their boar game. But you can always get a custom brush if you don't like the stock offerings.

I am currently breaking in a Semogue 830 - It's restoring my faith in boar bristle more with every use and hand lather.
I am really liking it right now and was surprised to admit to myself it is breaking in quicker and smelled better than my SOC 2 band badger. :001_huh:

For anyone that has lost faith in boar brushes follow my hint and let me know.
:w00t:

As I did it also this morning with my Omega 48, soak the brush in warm water for at least 3minutes (do whatever in this time... strop, clean you face., apply the pre shave, oil... whatever) and then a quick shake.
After that load your soap/cream and you will have a pillow soft boar ready to give a terrific lather.

Soak in warm water is the key IMO.

Obviosuly YMMV! :001_smile

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
I traded for an Omega boar brush just because it was so big and bold looking. Later I identify it as an Omega 10049 Pro. It is now my go to brush. How can a $10 brush make me so happy with my silvertips sitting on the self? I feel just fine.

I agree there doesn't seem to be much variation with boars with the exception of brush feel.

My Omega 10049 is a lather monster but uncomfortable to hold, hang and the loft is a bit high for face lather to me. I have Vulfix, VdH, silver tip badger and my Semogue 1305 makes them all useless and they are in the under cabinet.

I would say though this more due to the handle feel, loft height(face latherer) and knot density rather than it being any "better" at lathering.

i love the 1305 and would guess my next purchase would be a SoC but don't see that being a monster improvement

The Antica Barbieria Colla boar brush would probably be considered a "high end" brush. It's by far the best boar I've ever used.

Top Bottom