What's new

Buying shoes on Ebay for the deal of a life time.

I love quality dress shoes. I've been loyal to Allen Edmunds for years because I have an A width. Then I tried Aldens and except for the fact they make much less style variety, i am in love with the brand for fit and feel. I wear dress shoes with everything, except when I work outside.

The best place to get fantastic deals on quality dress shoes is Ebay. Some of the items sold there are new seconds or returns, that beat the price you'd find at places like AEs "Shoe Bank" close out store. Other deals are preowned, but like new from estate sales. You have to look weekly and don't rush. All I've purchased are like new or seldom worn.

I bought a new pair of new Alden Welterweights for $199 that would cost $530 at the Shoe Mart. I am guessing they were seconds or returns. You'll find dealers there that have 200 pair of both brands on sale.

I bought a pair of shell cordovan Hanovers for $250. They were like new and guessing they are about 1980 vintage, as Hanover hasn't made quality shoes for years. So they had to be from an estate sale. I have been thrilled to find these prices at one third of new, and I would guess the sellers are just as happy to get that price.

I have bought several pairs of top quality Northampton bench made shoes from Trickers, Cheaney, Church, Alfred Sargent over the last few years, all as new for well below the retail price.

Looking for a pair of Trickers boots at the moment. My time will come with patience!

Gareth

I agree 100%. I have bought 3 pairs AE's, 1 Brooks Bro's by Alden, a pair of Cole Hahns and two $1,000 suits. The shoes were lightly worn and only about $45-50 per pair and the suits cost me $80 total.

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
As long as the company makes consistent sizes (and I am sure AE does), and you know what size you wear, then the only danger is what you normally have buying things on eBay

The a large majority of the sellers offer returns. Some folks measure shoe bottoms to find the right size. Yes, AE and Alden sizes are known by most of us.

I've had 200 buying and selling transactions on Ebay and had one problem. if I consider the savings i could have one lose in ten and still the deal would be very positive. Using things that were trashed in the past is very positive for the economy.

I love quality dress shoes. I've been loyal to Allen Edmunds for years because I have an A width. Then I tried Aldens and except for the fact they make much less style variety, i am in love with the brand for fit and feel. I wear dress shoes with everything, except when I work outside.

The best place to get fantastic deals on quality dress shoes is Ebay. Some of the items sold there are new seconds or returns, that beat the price you'd find at places like AEs "Shoe Bank" close out store. Other deals are preowned, but like new from estate sales. You have to look weekly and don't rush. All I've purchased are like new or seldom worn.

I bought a new pair of new Alden Welterweights for $199 that would cost $530 at the Shoe Mart. I am guessing they were seconds or returns. You'll find dealers there that have 200 pair of both brands on sale.

I bought a pair of shell cordovan Hanovers for $250. They were like new and guessing they are about 1980 vintage, as Hanover hasn't made quality shoes for years. So they had to be from an estate sale. I have been thrilled to find these prices at one third of new, and I would guess the sellers are just as happy to get that price.

Reading this made me rethink shoes. I have worn AE shoes for years and generally go an A or B width. I looked on eBay and saw a pair in my size but no width, so asked for the width and was told b/d. It makes me wonder is it a relatively narrow B which should be ok or a relatively wide D which would flop around on my foot. I looked at the Alden site and did not see nearly as many styles in narrow widths as AE, so will probably pass on the Alden shoes. Being semi retired now I simply cannot afford their new price.

I bought a pair of used Salvator Ferragamo cap toe oxfords for $60 on eBay. I wear them for every job interview/presentation/wedding I've got. Best Deal I've ever gotten

Jeff,

Most quality shoes are combination last. Meaning a front and back width such as B/AA. The heel is always narrower.
AE usually don't have this double width sized. I've asked AE employees if they are combination last and got both yes and no answers.

Most sellers on Ebay will have better information on size, because they want and order and no returns. So using your old AEs you should be able to find the right size.

Alden doesn't have as many style or size choices, but man are they great on fit of feel.

There are definitely some really good shoe bargains on ebay. I bought a pair of Prada driving shoes that had been worn once (too small for original buyer). The RRP was $695 and I picked them up for $280. They were a little tight on me when I got them but a couple of days on a shoe stretcher and they turned out great. They were marked as being a D in width but definitely narrower than an standard "medium".

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
Did you point out to left field when you stepped up to the plate? We may have to call you Babe Ruth.

Did you point out to left field when you stepped up to the plate? We may have to call you Babe Ruth.

Lol. No. They looked somewhat rough when I saw them on the shelf next to the other shoes. What caught my eye was the shape. It just looked more refined than everything else. When I looked closer, I saw they were AE's in my size.

I bought them and took them home. They were scuffed, dusty and badly needed to have the sole edge dressed. I taped off the shoe and hit them with black polish on the sole edge and then removed the blue tape. I then polished the shoes with two applications of kiwi cordovan. They came out better than I'd expected.

I picked up a pair of AEs at a thrift last week for $6. They're in great shape, but aren't even close to being my size. For $6, I don't care. I'll flip them on eBay and buy a pair that are.

Ok guys, so apart from sizing (which when you are getting stuff shipped to Australia is a potential hassle even if you can return them) what about wearing shoes that reflect somebody elsewhere walking pattern?

I know how I role my feet when I walk and how this affects my shoes. If I'm picking up a second hand pair will they not be worn in by somebody else into their way of walking?

I have one pair of second hand shoes but they were not even worn in really.

Most of the great shoes sold on Ebay are sold by folks that specialize in buying from manufacturers or estate sales resell to folks like us. If shoes were one size fits all, I won't be telling this info as some of you would be bidding against you in the future. Being I wear size 11B I am willing to gamble you won't be there. It does show how Ebay can make a pair of shoes that no one wanted make a happy buyer and seller.

Top Bottom