What's new

Micromatic Razor and GEM Industrial Stainless Steel Razor Blades ( 100 Pack )

Hey all,

I just acquired a few 1912 GEM micromatic razors from ebay. I like that old Micromatic victorian look for a razor. I saw "GEM Industrial Stainless Steel Razor Blades" and I was wondering will they fit in the Micromatic?

I thought I would check before buying.

Thanks!

I think the blades you mentioned are for paint scrapers, not shavers. They will fit, but they are not designed for shaving. Look for blades in a drug store shaving section or look on-line at tedpella.com.

For some reason, many of the SE blades say that they are for industrial use.
proxy.php
This is a photo from the Ted Pella website and it is meant for shaving. Here is another photo from which shows the writing. This is great for shaving.

proxy.php

You may also see those same blades in this packaging.

$$_1.jpg

These better be okay for shaving, since I have over 700 of them. :thumbup1:

--Bob

Those are the ones that I am looking at Spidey9. I saw them on eBay and was wondering.

Have you shaved with them yet?

If so, how was the shave?

Thanks!

Yes, I've been using them regularly for over a year with good results. In an aggressive razor they are a little harsh for the first couple of shaves, and then they smooth right out. I routinely get 12-14 shaves per blade.

I believe that they are the same blade as these pictured below, just in bulk packaging.

$450.jpg

--Bob

garyg

B&B membership has its percs
Just be careful, there are uncoated GEM SE's out there that look about the same, but in my experience don't shave so well. If I recall the .009 blades usually are the shavers, while the HD paint scrapers are .012 thick. They come stainless and carbon, coated and uncoated. I bought a couple hundred coated stainless .009 in a B&B group buy some time ago that have the code on a (hundred) pack of 62-0165, which is different than the picture shown from Amazon .. but that match the packaging posted by Jim P. above

Any recommendations on how to tame SE blades if they turn out to be very harsh on the first few shaves? I've found the Ted Pella's can pull really badly on the first few uses and occasionally can't make it past that and toss blades after a use or two. I found the GEM's that come in the plastic dispenser to be more consistent and less harsh on the first few shaves in comparison.

garyg

B&B membership has its percs
Any recommendations on how to tame SE blades if they turn out to be very harsh on the first few shaves? I've found the Ted Pella's can pull really badly on the first few uses and occasionally can't make it past that and toss blades after a use or two. I found the GEM's that come in the plastic dispenser to be more consistent and less harsh on the first few shaves in comparison.

I routinely hand strop new blades - seems to work for me, but the only ones that give me trouble are the carbon steel, and those only after the first use.

The Gem SS Coated blades are awesome. The Ted Pella ones are always consistently smooth ... at least for me.

As far as the Micromatics, I find that for me they are aggressive. It could be technique, not sure. Many folks love 'em. If you get an opportunity to pick up the Gem Damaskeene razor it might be worth giving it a try too. My favorite! But, everyone has a favorite :tongue_sm

The Gem SS Coated blades are awesome. The Ted Pella ones are always consistently smooth ... at least for me.

As far as the Micromatics, I find that for me they are aggressive. It could be technique, not sure. Many folks love 'em. If you get an opportunity to pick up the Gem Damaskeene razor it might be worth giving it a try too. My favorite! But, everyone has a favorite :tongue_sm

My favorite Gem is the Clog-Pruf. I've also learned to tame the OCMM but the CP just does the same BBS shave without more effort.

Someone passed it along to me that if you run the edge of your blade through a cork it will take off the rough newness and the blade will feel like one that has been used once or twice. Might be helpful with some of these industrialish blades.

Top Bottom