What's new

Achy Joints

If I knew I was going to live this long I would have taken better care of myself.

I forget who said that, but I am beginning to understand.

Amen! There's a european medicine called Arteparon that works great on joints, but in the States it's only allowed for ventrinary use under the name Adequan. I was reading there's some close relatives available that don't require a prescription, but not sure those are for humans either.

Besides that, I swear by sports tape, compression wraps, and advil. I read exercise is supposed to help too, but never found that to be the case.

Personally, the only time it's real bad is when the weather shifts. Supposedly, weather can't affect joints, since they did an experiment in the 70s with a barimetric chamber, but I knowthis had to be wrong.

I haven't tried it but some of my friends who like Chondroitin. Glucosamine is another one. I've never read up on their method of action.

Last edited:
Attributed to Mickey Mantle.

My Dr. recommends chondroitin and glucosamine. I also have high iron which can increase overall inflammation. So I give blood once a quarter--also helps others.

If I knew I was going to live this long I would have taken better care of myself.

I forget who said that, but I am beginning to understand.

I've never noticed any benefit from glucosamine and chondroitin. The joints need that stuff, but just consuming them doesn't work to move it to your joints, you just digest it and break it down or something.

+1. Unfortunately this includes beer in my case.
Beers should never be removed from one's diet IMHO.

From "Organic Facts": The health benefits of beer include anticancer properties, a reduced risk of cardiovascular diseases, increased bone density, the prevention of dementia and coronary disease, aid to the digestive system, and anti-aging properties, as well as treating diabetes, gallstones, kidney stones, osteoporosis, and hypertension.

From Cliff Clavin, the "Buffalo Herd Theory": "Well ya see, Norm, it's like this... A herd of buffalo can only move as fast as the slowest buffalo. And when the herd is hunted, it is the slowest and weakest ones at the back that are killed first.

This natural selection is good for the herd as a whole, because the general speed and health of the whole group keeps improving by the regular killing of the weakest members.

In much the same way, the human brain can only operate as fast as the slowest brain cells.

Excessive intake of alcohol, as we know, kills brain cells. But naturally it attacks the slowest and weakest brain cells first.

In this way, regular consumption of beer eliminates the weaker brain cells, making the brain a faster and more efficient machine.

That's why you always feel smarter after a few beers.
"

Just sayin'...beer has been a part of my diet for decades, and it always will be...:001_smile

Beers should never be removed from one's diet IMHO.

From "Organic Facts": The health benefits of beer include anticancer properties, a reduced risk of cardiovascular diseases, increased bone density, the prevention of dementia and coronary disease, aid to the digestive system, and anti-aging properties, as well as treating diabetes, gallstones, kidney stones, osteoporosis, and hypertension.

From Cliff Clavin, the "Buffalo Herd Theory": "Well ya see, Norm, it's like this... A herd of buffalo can only move as fast as the slowest buffalo. And when the herd is hunted, it is the slowest and weakest ones at the back that are killed first.

This natural selection is good for the herd as a whole, because the general speed and health of the whole group keeps improving by the regular killing of the weakest members.

In much the same way, the human brain can only operate as fast as the slowest brain cells.

Excessive intake of alcohol, as we know, kills brain cells. But naturally it attacks the slowest and weakest brain cells first.

In this way, regular consumption of beer eliminates the weaker brain cells, making the brain a faster and more efficient machine.

That's why you always feel smarter after a few beers.
"

Just sayin'...beer has been a part of my diet for decades, and it always will be...:001_smile

Awesome post. Unfortunately, if I overindulge, or indulge at all too consistently, I suffer from flares of gout. Anyone who has ever tried to walk around with feet or knees full of broken glass shards will tell you, the beer just ain't worth it.

If I had taken better care of myself I wouldn't have served in the Infantry, rode motorbikes, jumped from planes or done a whole lot of other things I wanted to do. Stopping smoking and drinking were the best things I ever did as regards looking after myself. And leaving the Army of course. Still ride the bike.:thumbup:

I saw a big improvement in my muscles and joints when I stopped taking the statin drugs my doctor had me on. Actually I feel much better in general now and, doctor's suggestion or not, I'm not going back to taking them.

Awesome post. Unfortunately, if I overindulge, or indulge at all too consistently, I suffer from flares of gout. Anyone who has ever tried to walk around with feet or knees full of broken glass shards will tell you, the beer just ain't worth it.
Understood. My dad suffered from gout...and he stopped drinking beer way before then, because of his BP meds. I know it can be very painful! Do you know what in beer aggravates it? Is it the alcohol? the hops?

Top Bottom