What's new

Semogue knot transpant?

Has anyone had any success transplanting a knot from a Semogue brush into a new handle? If so, any tips for dealign with the metal cup the knot sits int?

Can't say I've had success because I've never attempted.

However if I were going to try, I'd split the handle and then try driving the knot out of the cup with an appropriate sized pvc pipe to push against the cup and drive the knot down into the pipe with a wide drift or a small socket. The idea being the sides of the metal cup will shear off the epoxy plug as the bottom of it deforms from the drift.

If I didn't have luck with that I'd just take a grinder to the metal cup after tightly wrapping the loft of the knot in some plastic or tape. I'd try to be careful to sneak up on the plug and not generate too much heat.

What's the donor?

I used steam to remove the knot from a 1305. Came out clean.

Didn't even think about steaming it out.

Can't say I've had success because I've never attempted.

However if I were going to try, I'd split the handle and then try driving the knot out of the cup with an appropriate sized pvc pipe to push against the cup and drive the knot down into the pipe with a wide drift or a small socket. The idea being the sides of the metal cup will shear off the epoxy plug as the bottom of it deforms from the drift.

If I didn't have luck with that I'd just take a grinder to the metal cup after tightly wrapping the loft of the knot in some plastic or tape. I'd try to be careful to sneak up on the plug and not generate too much heat.

What's the donor?

Not sure yet, but I've gotta a couple potentials. Looking like 1250, 2000 or SOC. All depends on which handle I go with.

Update: removed the knots from the SOC and the 2000 to be transplanted. They came out fairly easily, but the handles were lost. Once you remove the knot fro the handle the metal cup surrounding the knot peels away easy enough.

Top Bottom