What's new

Portland Razor Company

They have a pretty long wait time from my understanding but I would contact them first to see, I seem to remember that it was about 10-12 weeks

Claudel Xerxes

Staff member
There's one heck of a wait for their razors, but for the price and quality of a brand new razor like they make, it's hard to beat. If you like hefty razors, don't want to go the vintage route, and don't mind the 3-4 month wait, then I'd highly recommend PRC. After I got my razor from them, I was immediately debating about getting another one. The only reason that I didn't was because I have 7 other straights to satisfy me.

Last edited:
I had a custom Kami made for me by PRC, I wanted a round point. It was along wait but well worth it, it is my best shaving straight.

If your willing to wait that is an amazing choice but there are plenty of other options that will give a great shave

There's one heck of a wait for their razors, but for the price and quality of a brand new razor like they make, it's hard to beat. If you like hefty razors, don't want to go the vintage route, and don't mind the 3-4 month wait, then I'd highly recommend PRC. After I got my razor from them, I was immediately debating about getting another one. The only reason that I didn't was because I have 7 other straights to satisfy me.

I have only heard bits and pieces about the wait time. It seems kind of vague to me since I can put something in my cart and it shows in stock. However, I am willing to wait for something that is American Made. Since it is going to be my first real razor I do want to keep it in house. For future razors I am looking at getting a vintage one from Ebay and restoring it, but I am just not there yet.

All the PRC razors look excellent and it sounds like they shave nicely, so I am willing to wait.

If you are set on American made you could always check Hart. Have not shaved with one but handled one and it is a very nice piece

Claudel Xerxes

Staff member
I just noticed that this thread is posted under "General Shaving Discussion." You should PM a moderator and request that this thread be moved to the "General Straight Razor Talk" sub-forum. You'll probably get more responses over there.

If you are set on American made you could always check Hart. Have not shaved with one but handled one and it is a very nice piece

Mine shaves very nicely.

I hear the Portland's are very similar though slightly less hefty but with nicer scales (subjective) to Hart. I have heard only good things (except delivery) of them.

I have their Hydra, which I love! Nice and heavy, and quiet, (way different from the full hollows I usually use.) Mine has kept its edge a nice long time; I touched it up / re-honed it on the coti once and have been going on Chrom-ox with it ever since, 12 shaves or so. It took a couple tries to hone it, but that’s because it’s the first (and only) quarter hollow I’ve honed, so that might be something to keep in mind. Their strop has become my daily strop for all my razors; I nicked it once and they offered to send me a replacement for just the leather part for $15! (You can just unscrew all the hardware and swop it out, which is pretty cool.) The leather is thick enough and the cut small enough that I was just able to sand it out.

The wait-time has to do with the fact that they make each razor to order, by hand. When I ordered last Feb they were way backed up and going through changing their models and production process a little. That could have changed now. Mine was more than worth the wait though!

I am a fan of American made razors as well. I have a PRC and like it. Others that should be mentioned are:

Hart - I have three and love them
Nate's Straights
Brian Brown Razor Works
Tim Zowada carbon series

I couldn't have said it any better than the gentlemen who stated things here before me. I have a 6/8 Leviathan with custom blonde horn translucent scales. It really is a nice piece and a wonderful addition to my collection. Wait time is a bit of a beast, but don't let that stop you by any means. For the price, it is hard to get much better. I also have their strop and it is fantastic.

I will also 1-up on Brown Razor Works and Nate's Straights. I have 2 Browns and 1 Nates and they are also fantastic. All good choices to have....1st World Problems!

I own a PRC Kraken and am very happy with the purchase. I recall frustration during the wait time, but have enjoyed using it exclusively for the past six months.

Top Bottom