What's new

Adding essential oil to splash

So I have a slash that it's supposed to be lavender but I get heavy citronella instead. My wife has some lavender essential oil she got while she was pregnant. If I add a drop to the splash, would that be ok on my face? I think the aftershave would benefit tremendously from a scent standpoint but I'm not sure how concentrated it is and I'm worried that an entire drop could be too much for the amount of splash I have left. There is about 2.5oz or so in the bottle.

Any thoughts on negative repercussions of lavender oil on skin? Maybe it's really good for skin, I don't know.

One drop should be fine unless the lavender irritates you. To test that put a stop on a finger and massage it in to your wrist. You may need more than a drop to get the scent you want. Experiment but be slow to add as you can't take away.

So I added some Lavender Essential oil to my Speick splash which had a very strong Citronella scent to me. I smelled nothing like the soap and was missing that earthy lavender scent. I honestly think that there is something wrong with the particular batch of Speick that I got because so many people claim that it smells just like the soap and this smells nothing like it, I mean not even close. The Lavender essential oil really helped, I ended up adding 2 drops from a vile and it made a world of difference. I have read that there are many skin benefits to lavender essential oil so I wasn't afraid to give it a try. It had no negative impact on my skin and possibly improved the splash a little more.

I've been making all sorts of concoctions with essential oils, witch hazel and ethyl alcohol with no ill effects (yet). Good luck with your chemistry experiments!

tankerjohn

A little poofier than I prefer
That's great Daniel. I don't know why I didn't think to add a drop of two of lavender EO to the Speick. Glad it's working for you.

Be aware that some EO scents are known for causing irritation more than others. Cinnamon is definitely one to test first.

Sir, adding EO is not only for the pleasure of a nice scent. EO are also active ingredients, sometimes not well tolearated.
Please spend some time to read also what they can do, their role in pharmacopea.
Later, once you know they are safe to you mix and match for your tastes

................. EO are also active ingredients, sometimes not well tolerated.

Now you tell me. :biggrin1: I was scenting some melt & pour glycerin soap a few weeks ago with patchouli EO. All went fine I thought. I got some of this oil on my fingers and they smelled like patchouli the rest of the day. The next morning I woke up with a severe rash on my arms from my shoulders to wrists and my chest was ablaze. I then read the label on the bottle: Do not let contact skin. How many times I have seen this on products and disregarded it? I should have believed it for EOs. They are highly concentrated active ingredients and can be nasty if you are careless like I was. (The rash went away by itself in about 5-6 days.)

That is why I try to stay with the proven original scented a/s & colognes except for the ones my wife is allergic to. Usually I let her smell test them first. It's alot cheaper that way!

Now you tell me. :biggrin1: I was scenting some melt & pour glycerin soap a few weeks ago with patchouli EO. All went fine I thought. I got some of this oil on my fingers and they smelled like patchouli the rest of the day. The next morning I woke up with a severe rash on my arms from my shoulders to wrists and my chest was ablaze. I then read the label on the bottle: Do not let contact skin. How many times I have seen this on products and disregarded it? I should have believed it for EOs. They are highly concentrated active ingredients and can be nasty if you are careless like I was. (The rash went away by itself in about 5-6 days.)

Good safety tip! Read the label

Also, I would not add an EO or fragrance oil without testing. I test by putting one drop in approx .25 oz of witch hazel and then using this on my forearm. (I would never test on my face). I'm very sensitive to scents so I do this test as well with any new soap that enters my den. Irritation on the forearm is much nicer than the face.

Top Bottom