What's new

Super Speed Razors: The Post World War II Shaving Culture in America to 1955

Allen and Adam; It is Monday, so in honor of that, I did indulge using my 1955 A2 Blue Tip Super Speed. Nothing fancy-Neutrogena Shave Cream for Sensitive Skin, followed by their Aftershave Baum for Sensitive Skin. I am reminded just how forgiving a Blue tip is-predictable and consistent. Too bad it is often mistaken as a less desirable option among other Super Speed razors.

Adam; The Red Tip was my third in line as far as acquiring the various mainstream Super Speed razors is concerned. It is of course more aggressive, and carries some heft and girth. Quite a different experience in comparison the Blue Tip. It is my sentimental favorite. God Bless! Tony Brown RN mgbbrown

Here's my lineup of SuperSpeeds....a NDC and a trio of 1956's.

$IMG_20151116_164214976.jpg

Love the Redtip. Try to break it out at least once a month.

Heysi; you are a man after my own heart as the resurrector of the infamous RUST BOY! I restore British cars from the 1960's, and am currently working on a rare as rocking hose manure period Remco Accessories valve cover from around 1960. Like Super Speeds- it is made to be passed down to the next generation; the thickness of the aluminum walls is about a half inch! That is a beautiful collection of Super Speeds! I take it that 1956 is your birth year...

Thank you useless shaver! I am hoping to post another installment tonight, with more razor fodder to be photographed this weekend. Thank you-I hope it continues to be informative and enjoyable. God Bless! Tony Brown RN mgbrown$Remco MGB Valve Cover Cooling Fin Damage Carburetor Side.jpg$Remco MGB Valve Cover Far Side Cooling Fin Damage.jpg$Remco Valve Cover and Polished Period Knurled Nuts Full Side View.JPG

Thank you for a very cool and informative thread. Now that I now the red tip is also fatter and heavier, not just a bigger blade gap I want one even more.

My initial Super Speed acquisition was a late 1949 Gillette Super Speed razor, complete with a clear lid and red styrene based plastic case, along with the correct tan plastic Speed Pak blade dispenser current to the second version of the post-war Super Speed razors. I used my restoration experiences with British sports cars to both select and restore razors from this production period for daily use. As with British sports car restorations, this particular Super Speed was chosen on the basis of condition, originality, and personal preference. Razor condition was predicated by the absence of brassing through the nickel plate, as well the general state of the plated surfaces along the handle, base plate and outer blade silo doors. It was devoid of scratches, surface brassing, or end cap plate wear. This example has no Gillette date code, but the presence of a styrene case, notched center blade loading bar, a ridged guide bar, and stamping on the blade bed reading PAT. NOS. ON PACKAGE, would place this circa late 1949. The later, standardized production 1950 Super Speed would have had stamping on the blade bed reading PAT. NOS. ON PKG.

A tan Gillette Speed Pak dispenser with a blue underside, complete with six of the ten Gillette Blue Blades, was also sourced and period correct. Often no blades were inserted into the blue underside blade bank, as the original owner may have had a slotted medicine cabinet, which allowed used razor blades to just fall between the wall studs. Blades were dispensed first from one side by moving the blade out of the dispenser mouth by pushing it in that direction with a finger on the blade at the central hole in the dispenser’s top. Blades were engaged for insertion on the blade bed using the notch in the blade loading bar, and alternated in the direction of the dispenser mouth, starting with moving the blade to the left opening, with the successive blade dispensed from the right opening. Used blades could be placed in the underside blue receptacle or blade bank. Both styrene case and Speed Pak dispenser were restored using Mother’s Polish applied with cotton wadding and hand-rubbed over the top, sides and base of both pieces, followed by a Novus Number 2 fine scratch remover polishing, again using cotton wadding. The case is now scratch-free and shines as new. The lid was also polished and is optically clear. God Bless! Tony Brown RN mgbbrown $Gillette 1949 Super Speed Razor, Styrene case Opened, Catalin Speed Pak 10 Blue Blade Dispenser.jpg
$Gillette 1949 Super Speed Razor, Styrene Case Closed with Catalin Speed Pak 10 Blue Blade Dispen.jp$Gillette 1949 Super Speed Case Styrene base with Gillette Logo and Patents.jpgView attachment 616170

Last edited:
Thank you Troy! Gillette Red Tip Super Speeds weigh in at 64 to 66 grams-a full ten grams heavier than the original 40's style Super Speed. The exception to this generalization would be found in a small sample of 1952 X4 razors that were continuations of this style, when Gillette discontinued Black Tip Super Speed production at the end of the X3 quarter. They reduced their left-over inventory of steel heads made during the height of governmental brass demands for military use, which roughly corresponded to the period of that model's manufacturing run. Of course, not every razor made during the fourth quarter of 1952 was an amalgamation of steel and brass parts, but the ones that were made with steel heads certainly weighed more than their brass-headed counterparts. God Bless! Tony Brown RN mgbbrown

I'll keep looking Hawk! Many folks who enjoy Super Speeds claim that the un-notched 1947 razor was the best of the series, and call it "The King of Super Speeds." Those made in 1949 are quite plentiful, as are the cases in good nick. The red and clear early styrene case, like the un-notched Super Speed, was revised with a larger dispenser bay in which a 20 blade, Blue Blade dispenser could reside between uses. In the third quarter of 1950, Gillette began date coding production. The V designation was used, initially appearing to the left on the diamond-shaped, handle surround on the bottom of the razor head. A number appeared in the same location on the right side of the elongated and raised handle surround, indicating the quarter of production. Manufacture of V designated razors was limited, as the date code was standardized in the first quarter of 1951 to appear with an X for 1951, found in the upper left quadrant of the razor head underside, and the quarter of production in the corresponding right upper corner. God Bless! Tony Brown RN mgbbrown $Gillette Super Speed 1950 V 3 Date Coded Head Underside View etsy.jpg

Last edited:
Keen Dog; Your 1954 Z4 Super Speed is a TV Special, as all of the 1940's style Super Speeds made during the third and forth quarter are designated TV Specials. It was the last hurrah, if you will, for that particular style of Super Speed, as Gillette was phasing out production to concentrate on the Flare Tip design of Super Speeds, introduced in the first quarter of 1954 or Z1 through the remainder of the year. The Flare Tip would undergo a razor head design change for the medium growth segment of the market in 1955. Head size, profile, and blade gap would be similar to the previous 1940's styles prior to the Korean War's intensification, which corresponds to the Black Tip Super Speed production run. The number of razors made by Gillette in this style was limited, so these are very desirable. This was the first of the TV Specials-you have the second as well, a 1958. Both were advertised on Gillette's CALVALCADE of SPORTS as a promotional razor, and both TV Special issues were mailed inside a smaller, blue-bottomed styrene case and clear lid with "TV" molded into the lid; a six blade, Blue Blade dispenser that was cellophane wrapped with instructions, designed to nestle under the razor handle when placed inside the case, was also a part of the promotion. The 1958 TV Special had distinct knurling on the handle, easily differentiating it from the standard production Flare Tip. The case used the same clear styrene lid, but with a red bottom. I have included a photograph of a 1954 Z1 Flare Tip and case for comparison purposes-please note the overall difference in size between the point-of-purchase case and the mailed TV Special case. I hope this answers your question! God Bless! Tony Brown RN mgbbrown $Gillette 1954 TV Special Promotional Z3 Super Speed with Blue Base Styrene TV Case and 6 Blade, .jp$Gillette 1954 TV Special Super Speed Date Code Z4 Full View.JPG$Gillette 1958 TV Special Super Speed and Red Styrene Case Closed View.JPG$Gillette 1954 Flare Tip Super Speed Razor Date Code Red Styrene Case with Ten Blade Blue Blade D.jp

Last edited:
A 1955 A2 Red Tip was also found with its styrene case and a ten blade, cellophane wrapped box of ten Gillette Blue Blades. Like the earlier razor, it was free of nickel plate loss and without any visible signs of use, save some minimal expected paint wear to the base of the tip on three of the raised ridges running vertically along the tip at the handle base. Painted in an un-primered, almost burgundy red lacquer; the tip appeared to exhibit little to no use, as the red paint comes off of the outer edge of the tip base rather easily though normal wear. The TTO (twist-to-open) tip is held in place by a cross-head bolt inside the handle. Knurling on the handle is quite pronounced, both as a modern styling queue and as a functional element, making it easier to hold. Dry weight was 66 grams, noticeably heavier than its 54 gram, 1949 stable mate. The case was free of chips and crazing, and responded well to polishing with Mother’s Polish applied with cotton wicking, followed by Novus Number 2 Fine Scratch Remover. The underside of both case types featured the Gillette logo and patent numbers for the Super Speed, molded into the styrene. Both the 1949 and 1955 case lids identify the maker as Gillette in an interior molding, having the affect of depth but with an otherwise flat exterior surface. On the lid of the 1949 case, SUPER SPEED appears in an Art Deco script at an upwards angle below the Gillette logo, and the description ONE PIECE RAZOR is molded into the plastic in the same manner below the Super Speed script. The clear lid of the 1949 case is noticeably thicker than its 1955 successor. The rectangular-hatched, burgundy base of the later case was also designed to hold a blade dispenser, and an unused ,Gillette ten blade, Blue Blade dispenser was obtained to fill that area. The combination metal and plastic dispenser also contained a blade bank on the underside to safely hold used razor blades. The metal top was painted a rich, medium shade of blue, corresponding to the ten Gillette Blue Blade, trademarked blades inside, and mirroring the Art Deco graphics appearing on the earlier style Speed Pak. Directions on inserting spent blades were silk screened in gold on the metal cover, with the Gillette trademark in the middle. A finger hole was also found topside, with GILLETTE 10 BLUE BLADES silk screened in gold under seven angled lines at the dispenser openings on either side. Gillette customarily equipped 1950’s era Super Speeds with a smaller-count, six blade, Blue Blade dispenser placed in the blade case well. It was cellophane wrapped with an illustrated instruction sheet, detailing how to open the blade silo using the twist-to-open knob at the handle base; proper razor blade insertion from a dispenser utilizing the notched center bar; closing the blade silo by turning the twist-to-open knob; and rinsing the razor after use with tap water-ready for that next shave. God Bless! Tony Brown RN mgbbrown $Gillette 1955 Red Tip Super Speed Razor Date Code A2 Burgundy Case with Ten Blade Blue Blade Dis.jp$Gillette 1949 Super Speed Razor with Styrene Case and Ten Blade Speed Pak Dispenser Closed View.jpg

tankerjohn

A little poofier than I prefer
Wow, lovely Red Tip Tony!

My Red Tip is also a 1955 A2. Pretty cool. Yours is way nicer, though. Mine's just a shaver-grade job without the box or accessories. It could use some polishing and a paint job on the tip (some of the red paint has rubbed off since I took these pics). But I get the impression these razors were made to be workhorses, not showhorses, and that's just what mine is. I love it.

$redtip1.jpg

$redtip2.jpg

$redtip3.jpg

I take it that 1956 is your birth year...

Nope. All 3 of these razors were celebrating their 12th birthday before I came into this world. When I picked up my Red and sliver flair tips, they both ended up being 1956. So when I went looking for my blue tip, I focused on finding a 1956. Makes it, sort of, like a mini collection.

Its been fun reading about the history of these beauties. Thanks for posting all of this great info.

Oh, and RustBoy says "Hi".

Thank you Tanker John-I use mine too, but once a week in rotation. I can easily see why my father choose one, as it is a purposeful tool indeed. The right tool for the right job as they say, gets the best results too I might add, and that is certainly the case with a Red Tip Super Speed. Not only is it nostalgic as using a razor that once chosen by my dad-it is a true testimony of the craftsmanship that made Gillette famous. I am thinking that it was viewed as their top of the line if you will, in period. Paint loss on the tip is not at all a sign of misuse though. The lacquer paint was not primed, nor the surface etched prior to painting. I doubt that Gillette baked the paint to harden it, as that would be an additional step and prolong the assembly process, as would etching. The original paint on the razors that survive, has usually been harden for sixty years by heat in an attic or tucked away in a box or its case in an unvented closet. Usually if you look inside the TTO aperture down towards the nut-it remains unpainted. These were airbrushed with an industrial grade air gun and the paint thinned enough for it to lay uniformly inside of the grooves along the tip's outer surface. The apex of the flare is the area of wear, and it does not take much to remove small amount of paint in that area, even more so when the razor was new. Most signs of wear would have come from laying the razor down on a surface with the blade silo doors closed and it moving enough to abrade the plate. This was the most common type of storage, perhaps placed inside a glass or on a medicine cabinet shelf upside down. I wash my razors following use with a toothbrush and a hand dishwashing detergent, rinse it well, shake it hard to remove water from the hollow handle, then I blow dry it as our water is very hard here in the northern North Carolina Piedmont. I lightly polish it with a cotton make-up round or a tee-shirt, and use a Q-Tip to swab out the interior of the TTO knob. This does not remove plating, and keeps the razors looking sharp. It sounds like a lengthy process, but it only takes four minutes or so. Besides, my time shaving is MY time, away from my hectic work life, and I enjoy the entire process, even the clean-up. God Bless! Tony Brown RN mgbbrown

Tony says "hi" back at you, Rust Boy! I must admit, that I had the Fat Boy cravings for a first year razor and case. It is one reason I stopped my Super Speed acquisitions at 1955 as a cut-off date, not just the fact that I was born in 1955. I am fortunate that anentire series of Super Speeds was introduced that year by Gillette. Another more palpable reason is my wife would absolutely faint (that is Southern for being mad as Hades if I bought one) if she knew how much they routinely go for at auction in excellent condition with its case that is also un-crazed, but she was with me when I found my Art Deco Ever-Ready shaving brush in an antique shop in South Boston, Virginia. She knows that it was a nice find, as she too loves the thrill of the hunt. This leaves the 1958 TV special off of the list, but I certainly enjoyed passing mine forward to Keen Dog a while back. I'm saving the lid on the 1958 case to mate onto a 1954 TV special case base, should one show up in the future. That has been one of the nicer things about restoring my MGB as I have done-all of the vintage rally gear and period 1960's items inside the cockpit simply did not show up on our front porch one morning. Finding them was just as much fun as restoring them, I assure you. God Bless! Tony Brown RN mgbbrown

Shaving Mugs, Lathering Bowls, Coffee Mugs and Used Razor Blade Banks

Shaving peripherals were as much a part of the emerging post war shaving experience as the razors themselves. A third release, Old Spice shaving mug, dating from 1944 to the early 1950’s, is one of my selections as a representative shaving mug relative to the time period of the early post-war Super Speed razors. These were quite popular then, and can be found easily for fewer than ten dollars today. Dating is by the Old Spice hallmark, found stamped into the concave base which was designed to reduce heat transfer to the surface on which the mug was placed- in the case of the third edition Hull mug, OLD SPICE appears across the central rope circle, and the words EARLY AMERICAN appear within a ring along the inside of the unglazed foot rim, which was wax coated to prevent glaze from adhering to the rim when the piece was kiln fired. However, since the third release remained in production much longer than the previous versions, the Old Spice hallmark is almost illegible. This in part was due to stamp wear, but production demands on the glazing lines at Hull allowed no time to drain off any excess glaze from the mug. Features of the hallmark design are the same as the second release, and the details of the Shulton Old Spice hallmark, in this case, cannot be easily seen and provides a clue to its relative age, along with an often thickly applied glaze and smearing of the glaze stenciling on the side of the mug. If purchasing to collect, look for an absenceof glaze crazing or smears in the glaze stenciling- quite common for a shaving mug produced in such large quantities for Shulton by the Hull Pottery of Crooksville, Ohio. The overall condition of the underside is also important, but can be easily restored to as new condition using a citrus based cleaner to remove accumulated grime from the unglazed foot rim, followed by applying bleach to the cleaned undersurface. Ohio clays were famous for producing a light tan colored ware, similar in looks to porcelain. God Bless! Tony Brown RN mgbbrown $Old Spice Shaving Mug Hull Pottery Release Number 3  Interior Detail.jpg$Old Spice Hull Pottery Release Number 3 Illegible Hallmark.jpg

Top Bottom