What's new

Super Speed Razors: The Post World War II Shaving Culture in America to 1955

KeenDogg

Slays On Fleek - For Rizz
With the differences previously noted in the blade bed of the transitional 1947 Super Speed, I shaved last evening with the 1948 version to see if they held true following their absence in Cap and Chris Evatt's fine hands. The center bar nick from incorrectly loading a razor blade at an angle some time in its past, was repaired by Cap and replated by Chris at RazorPlate.com. Chris lives an hour away in Greensboro, and we share much in common with our respect for two-wheeled and four-wheeled British iron. He is also a restorer, and quite a talented one I might add. So is Cap for that matter, as his interests lie in the Buick, Stove Bolt V8 powered persuasion. Contrary to the opinion of many, there is more to life than a razor methinks- not passing judgement, holding them at arms length despite an obvious interest here. The same holds true for cars of any type, and motorcycles and trucks. Family comes first as far as humans go, and when my wife says no more spending on razors, well- it is a wise man who heeds her words. She is from Philadelphia, and a Yankee in King Author's Court. Having migrated to the Southland some twenty-six years ago, she still carries the authority that someone from there can carry down here... I digress. Tools in my toolbox-of-a-vanity drawer if you will, to put them in perspective.

The evaluation was made as my usual custom to reduce the variables- Creemo Cream for lubrication and a Wilkinson Sword Solingen blade for cutting off the whiskers from twelve hours at the hospital. A markedly milder shave than that from the 1947 remains the verdict. In fact, two passes with BBS results, with the most maneuverable of all the Super Speed handle styles. The key to 1940's Super Speed ownership is finding a razor with well-defined cross-hatching machined into the handle. This absolutely is the defining factor in how securely it can be held. Of course, condition of the plating and obvious past abuse are too important, especially for a collector, but because so many have survived, simply pass on a purchase if this criteria cannot be met.

I still stand that the 1940's style is the King of the Super Speeds. The notched center bar for many is a desirable feature, as it was designed to make loading from the then quite innovative Speed Pak dispenser much easier. The tabs, or wings on the center safety bar ends found on the 1947 variant, guarantee razor blade positioning on the blade bed, and that is the reason that they are there. However, for any of the following notched center bar Super Speed razors, a simple twist of the TTO knob until it is tight, does exactly the same thing in my opinion. I use my Super Speeds daily and sometimes twice daily in rotation, and my preferences lie in two styles- the 1940's design to the 1951 W1 produced in brass as the base metal, and the 1954 Flare Tip. In period, men purchased one razor generally for daily use, and that was their only razor until it was dropped or damaged. Unless they were fortunate, as was Victor Strum, to sell them and have any razor Gillette made available to use, his preference was for an all-brass, nickel plated Super Speed. After all- he owned three Flare Tips and a little-used 195 Adjustable. Both versions are all brass, and both have unpainted TTO knobs. For daily use- this is an important consideration, particularly if you are a bit rough on your razors. Of the two, the 1940's style is well balanced and can be quite deftly and lightly stroked on each pass. The larger diameter handle of the 1954 Flare Tip, because of the knurling, is also quite maneuverable, but with girth comes additional weight. For many, that is a good thing indeed. God Bless! Tony Brown RN mgbbrown View attachment 689288View attachment 689289View attachment 689290
Wonderful posts Tony, as always. You're attention to detail is second to none!

Bravo, my friend! Bravo

Thank you Adam! It made for a very relaxing part of my day following a hectic week at the hospital, even if discovering once again that I still need another blue, Black Tip Super Speed case to make my joy complete. Now if that Tan Speed Pak dispenser is still around on one of the auction sites from Australia, and I am fortunate enough to secure the high bid on that case to be offered during the Saint Sue Moore Memorial Auction on the 19th of October here at the site, I can put a wrapper around all of the Super Speeds and call it a day. The picture below uses the 1947 tan Speed Pak dispenser I already have to complete the set. From the photograph, one can see that tan was a popular color during the Art Deco period. I will though, before flicking that switch, thank everyone on the site who made this possible. Thanks for the compliment and God Bless! Tony Brown RN mgbbrown $Gillette 1947 Super Speed Razor Box Contents Complete.JPG

Last edited:
In 1947, or the birth year of Gillette's Super Speed razor, men of America were returning from a horrific conflagration that touched virtually everyone, and settling down, hopefully, to resume their lives and return to their families as they knew them before the war. However, manly etiquette, or gentlemanliness, remained the glue that mended all of the pieces of our society broken by WWII. It enabled men simply to interact without causing offense, conflict, or harm. Expectations that defined a gentleman were also customarily defined behaviors in America at that time, and included:

A gentleman did not discuss matters surrounding money, possessions, or gain publically.
This further encompassed borrowing money, as a man simply did not consider borrowing money from a woman, regardless of the amount, or their relationship, if outside of marriage. Borrowing money from another man, without security, or the intention to pay it back as immediately as possible, was far removed from how a gentleman of the early Super Speed era would conduct himself or his affairs. Payment for services rendered was given immediately, and rewarded financially for the efficiency, thoroughness, and overall quality of the job itself. Tradesmen were indeed respected. As the American society became less rural and more suburban, it still was proper decorum not to discuss possessions, their acquisition, or their cost. One must remember, than many servicemen and their families were products of the Great Depression, who faced rationing and other financial hardships. In short, a gentleman possessed things, and those items simply did not possess him nor make him the man that he was. A man had only one razor, one shaving mug, and was indeed thankful to have them. Possessions were respected and taken care of for most men of that day.

A gentleman showed discretion in public.
Regardless of station in life, a gentleman during the early Super Speed era, simply did not draw attention to themselves, and as we have seen, grooming was an important part of manly and gentlemanly decorum or social etiquette. Dress was conservative, as was the spoken and written word, aimed at causing no offense to anyone. Of course, favor was given to the woman, regardless of one's relationship with them. Opening doors, and walking on the traffic side with a woman, was both an expected and gentlemanly practice, regardless of whom that woman might be. Staring at others was considered rude, and certainly unbecoming to a gentleman.

The gentlemanly father or husband did not argue in public with his wife, nor in front of their children. My parents, and particularly my father, modeled this gentlemanly rule explicitly as a societal norm and example to my twin brother and I. Discipline was enforced jointly between parents towards their children, and corporal punishment was allowed publically, but in order to not draw attention to both the disobeying child or onto the parents, who were more than embarrassed, I assure you. In converse, a gentlemanly boy certainly obeyed his parents.

Dinner etiquette was an important part of gentlemanly decorum. Even if returning from the field, a gentleman presented himself to the table on time, clean, and not with his clothing in disarray. In part, this was to show thankfulness for the food being served and to the woman who prepared it, and certainly not to direct attention to himself, even if he was the father sitting at the head of the table. The expectation was for the family to eat together, and the gentleman ate with his family. Perhaps this was indeed one of the most important roles of a gentleman during the early Super Speed era, as it fostered and taught polite communication and the importance of the family meal. Thankfulness was equally important to both the father and to the aspiring gentlemanly son.

A gentleman simply arrives on time and leaves on time.
Being late for anything was viewed as conduct unbefitting of a Super Speed era gentleman, and considered rude both publically and privately. This certainly applied to dinners or public occasions such as a party, or even going to church, which was seen as an important family event, yet still carrying the same expectation of timeliness. If attending a party, queues were taken from the guest for whom the party was given, and therefore, gentlemanly decorum centered on both spoken and unspoken communication to that effect. When leaving, it was equally important for a gentleman to show thankfulness to the host.

A gentleman was expected to write thank you letters.
A gentleman simply wrote a thank you note, regardless of whom the gift was from, as a written show of sincere gratitude. This was certainly instilled in me by my parents, so I do have a box of thank you cards at the ready. Simply ask Cap or Chris Evatt if you do not believe me...

The Gillette Super Speed was the everyman razor, and every man was expected to act the gentleman during the early Super Speed era from 1947 through 1955. God Bless! Tony Brown RN mgbbrown $Thanksgiving Norman Rockwell.gif$Norman Rockwell 1956 Massachusetts Mutual Advertisement.jpg$Norman Rockwell Family Painting.jpg

That was too true Tony. I'm a child of that period and can confirm everything you've said as true. I never hear my folks argue. And Dad was scrupulously polite to all the ladies. The other day, I was talking with my sister, and we were reminiscing how dad, who died in 1981, even when going grocery shopping would wear a sports jacket and hat hen he went out. He would be absolutely shocked if he saw the way people dressed when out in public.
By the way, dad shaved daily, he used Schick injectors. I never saw him shave with a DE. He impressed on my late brother and me that a gentleman shave every day. I still do.

Jim; Thank you so much for your post, and most importantly, the glimpse of the fond memories I am sure you had of your father. I can imagine too, that like you, he was a veteran, so the difference that he made in in the lives of you and your sister were many and profound. He instilled in us the value of relationship, and certainly that parents were a cohesive and supportive pair, that openly did not share their differences, regardless of the size or type, with their children. He taught us to work together, a task made all the more difficult by being a twin, and to take pride in all aspects of our lives, especially in that through our appearance, our best foot was forward. Being in pharmaceuticals, my father was required to wear suits, not so much that they were to impress, but that they implied a certain knowledge, professionalism and caring that many consider lacking today. And yes- we always ate as a family. My father too was our assistant scoutmaster, and I can honestly say, that he was as cleanly and neatly dressed in his uniform the last day of camp as he was on the first. My guess is that discipline was an important part of your father's character too. He never discussed finances in front of my brother and I, but made certain that my mother was well-taken care of when he passed away in 1998. His sports coat was a cotton, front-zipped jacket that so many men his age wore, coupled with a driving cap- and that Jim, is how I like to remember him. God Bless! Tony Brown RN mgbbrown

Before launching into another aspect of early Super Speed era gentlemanly decorum, I did shave tonight with my 1949 Super Speed razor, loaded with a Wilkinson Sword Blade and using Creemo Cream as lather. My impression is that this particular model is a bit more aggressive than the 1948 which preceded it, but in actuality they are indistinguishable. Both razors began the use of a notched center safety bar within the Super Speed line, and both have PAT. NOS. ON PACKAGE stamped inside the handle and rivet recession on the blade bed. My impression lies in part, due to the fact that my 1949 example was my first safety razor, and the one on which I learned to shave with using a double-edged razor blade. With this razor's introduction saw Gillette's first use of styrene as a case material. This particular Super Speed remains in excellent overall condition mechanically and without any characteristic nickel plate loss on the handle or outside blade silo doors. With careful use in rotation- I hope to keep it that way. God Bless! Tony Brown RN mgbbrown $Gillette 1949 Super Speed Razor, Styrene case Opened, Catalin Speed Pak 10 Blue Blade Dispenser.jpg

Tony, actually my father was not a veteran. He was ordered for induction into the army on November 11, 1918, the day the armistice ending WW I went into effect. He was told to go home. He, and the other men reporting were told that they wer not needed. He was too old for the Second World War. He did, however, have a good sense of style, and he was very careful to teach both his sons how we should behave both at home and in public.
It is interesting that he stressed to both of us how important it was that the mail meal od the day, usually the evening meal, be rated together as a family unit. We had a lot of fun eating together, discussing our day, and laughing together and at ourselves.

Thank you Jim; may your fond memories of father and family serve to guide you sir!

Monday night, my mom, who is living at home in the house we grew up in in Raleigh with a very capable nurses aide, passed away peacefully in her sleep around 0330. I did not find out about it until around 0800 to 0830 and was at work. She was a real trooper and a tiny woman- standing with a stoop at maybe four feet tall, and that is probably a generous estimation. However- she may be small, but she was mighty. A lupus and stage 3 lymphoma survivor, she definitely had what it takes, and was the last of the Greatest Generation. After all- she raised two twin boys successfully. Her passing was truly a blessing, and we rejoice in that fact, as she had been on a gradual decline with a profound heart murmur and poor oxygen exchange from a rheumatic lung condition due to her past lupus. She knew the Lord, so her resting place is assured, and she will be made whole once again.

We were rummaging around for small sentimental bits- my mom was quite cultured, but she saved everything. One artifact was an undated Gillette Atra that belonged to my father, which probably was a promotional razor. I have his college diploma and high school diploma now, and a picture of my mother and he during their high school teaching days. Of mine, I found my first edition Mickey Mouse watch and its original red band. The watch will be restored.

Like my mom, I too am a trooper, and this all will fade into fond memories. I respect my razors for them being a well-made tool, and will use them all. Tools as such always have context, and I enjoy that as well. Funny- the two razors I now have that were my fathers- well, I use them both too. Liker father, like son I suppose. God Bless! Tony Brown RN mgbbrown

Last edited:
Tony, I'm sorry to hear of you mom's passing. No matter what, death of a loved one, even though it's anticipated. Is always a shock. Just two weeks ago my sister-in-law passed away. My brother, like me a veteran, died in 2010 from leukemia. my sister-in-law was diagnosed with cancer just six weeks before her death. Thankfully, she had loving hospice care and was not in pain. we were a close family and it is difficult.

You our have my condolences on your mom's passing. The next few days will be hectic take it easy when you can.

Tony, I'm so sorry to hear of your Mom's passing. Adding to what Jim said, her loss will be hard for you. Your fond memories of her will help you get through this difficult time.

Sorry to hear about your Mom. Sounds like she was quite a lady. I'm sure she appreciated your constant presence in her later years.

We'll remember her again at Mass this Sunday.

Bob and Sally

Thank you Jim, Mike, and Bob! I cannot thank you enough for your thoughts and prayers. She was, like my father, a remarkable woman in much the same way as he was the remarkable man and father. Often our appreciation and love is more fully understood and realized at the passing of those dear to us. I know that I have grown closer to my father in discovering more about his past and legacy, and I know that too will hold true for her as well. God Bless! Tony Brown RN mgbbrown

Last edited:
Jim; I too am saddened by the loss of your family members. I am realizing, all to quickly, that our family and our relationships with others, while we are here on this earth, are far more precious than anything we can own. They should be cherished and maintained, be it family so dear to us, or the friendships that we have established during our lives. God Bless! Tony Brown RN mgbbrown

Thank you Mio Cuggino! The funeral was today in Raleigh, and it was as she would have wanted it to be. A large crowd was there, and we had a chance to see all of her friends, some of which my wife and I have not seen since we have been married and moved away. It was truly a homecoming. She was loved by many, and many showed their love today in return. God Bless! Tony Brown RN mgbbrown

Thank you so much Dagwoodz! There is much more to life than a Super Speed razor I assure you, and if you are like me, some days can pass without even a glance into the site. We covert your prayers, as these have been difficult times Sir! Despite our loss, His graces have abounded. God Bless! Tony Brown RN mgbbrown

Sorry to hear of your loss, and pray for you and your family! We all have to go through these things and it really is tough no matter how well prepared you are for it. It is a loss and a piece of joy that will be missed. God Bless you,

Thank you Dion- I cherish your kind words and friendship. There are so many folks here that should we meet- it will be a wonderful time indeed! I'll even let you drive the MGB! Promise to be careful- the engine was balanced and blueprinted, and has period Hepolite pistons and will be a fire-breathing dragon! I found an NOS head for the block, which will be profiled, decked, and valved for unleaded gas. I have already done much work on the SU carburetors, and they flow well too. It will be good therapy methinks in the days ahead. The only reproduction bits are the carpet and cockpit trim, made by the original suppliers. This is a world-class restoration which has been featured in two magazine articles. The stub stack pictured was machined on a CNC router built in 1972 and programmed with punch cards, just as in period. I have restored it all but those two pieces and the alternator and starter. God Bless! Tony Brown RN mgbbrown $MGB AUD 265 HS4 SU Carburetor modified.jpg$Les Leston HS4 Ram Pipe Detail View.jpg$MGA Steve Gyles Stub Stack with K&N Filter Element Fitted MGA Guru.jpg$ADE Chrome MG Knob on Shortened Shifter.JPG

WOW! The past 24 pages have been absolutely amazing. I am sorry to read of your mothers passing and wish you and your family well during this time.

After seeing how dedicated you are to your Super Speeds, I can only imagine how beautiful the car will be once finished. Are you writing about its history and restoration anywhere? Would love to follow along.

Thank you for the time and effort put into this thread and now I have to find a '40s style Super Speed. Off to the antique shop and flea mall hopefully this weekend.

Top Bottom