What's new

The Blades Grim : what's the scoop?

I am considering the plunge in to the straight razor world. I am a DE shaver and actually am doing pretty well at the wet shaving process and getting great shaves. But my son is interested in diving in to the world of straights, so therefore as the dad I gotta jump in there too. That means new hardware !

I have read lots and lots of posts on hardware. I see copious mentions of Dovos, Dubl DUcks, Bokers, razors from Sheffield, Germany, Sweden and other places and lots about vintage razors too.

SO MY QUESTION IS: How come I see more posts about 200 year old razors from who know's where than from an American company in Idaho? What's the forum's take on The Blades Grim? The lack of hardly any mention, here or in other places, sticks out by its absence. I think I have found one thread on B&B about Grim blades and it was not entirely flattering or clear whether the B&B community thought they had good products or not.

I am not a hardware snob, so buying a brand name holds no great attraction for me. Nor am I price sensitive for an item I will likely be using weekly, if not daily, for a long long time so what it costs is relatively a non factor. But, I am interested in taking advantage of the wealth of knowledge on this forum. Let me know what you think.

Thumbs UP or Thumbs DOWN on The Blades Grim? (Or, if this is a bad question in this forum, help me rephrase it)

Terry Weinberg in Gilbert, Arizona

The company has had its ups, and downs, there are discussions if searching deep enough. If your looking for new American, Brasono Brothers, or Portland Razors. European, Revisor offers a good blade for the money. If you can wait, check after the holiday on the classifieds here, usually some great deals as people get new blades for the holiday.

That at being said I own all of the above with the exception of one, I would go to the Revisor.

Not sure about the blades grimm. I had some interest in one of their branded blades, but couldn't find anybody who had actually used one, so gave up the search.

The suggestions in the post advice are good ones.
I would throw wacker and Ralf aust into the mix too.

But..If you're not really price sensitive, you could get a pair made for you and you're son from a custom maker.......(it's very easy for me to spend other people's money!)

It doesnt look like they sell the rebranded i mentioned right now.

But it looks pricey for what you get. I am sure they are fine. The $400 english 8/8 was passed around for a bit and i think it had nice reviews.

If you like it the way it looks, im sure youll be happy

Sorry, don't know anything about the Grim boys. Ill be watching this thread to see what others have to say.

If you are interested in modern American made razors, Ill offer up Hart Steel. I have two of their Custom jobs, #197 & #204. Classic Shaving retails them and they are very functional. If you visit my gallery, Ive posted pictures of them. They are one of the few companies that make innovative designs, thinned paddle shaped tangs etc. But Im getting away from the Grim boys....

I think it is very cool that this hobby is something you will be able to share with your son. Good luck on your search and the new journey!

I was seeking feedback about their blades Grimm branded blades, the ones they make themselves. The only place I see them mentioned is on one of their own websites.

It's that void of anyone independent of their own website writing anything about them that has me concerned.

I think you have captured my concerns. Their Grim blades caught my eye. But try as I might, I don't find any reviews or independent info about them. And if I can't find any here on B&B, well I guess that answers the question. If nobody here is a fan, I don't know where their fans could be.

These current models look a whole hell of a lot nicer than the original models IMHO, which I recall seeing some liking, but the profile of the whole thing was just awkward.

I think you have captured my concerns. Their Grim blades caught my eye. But try as I might, I don't find any reviews or independent info about them. And if I can't find any here on B&B, well I guess that answers the question. If nobody here is a fan, I don't know where their fans could be.

There was some noise about them about a year ago here. They had a bad run with a lot of bad blood. The seemed to have cleaned up a bit from the snippets I've read on their own custom razors...

There are so many good brands out there with good reputations.
Portland & Hart spring to mind for American (with Portland being the more affordable with similar style). I love my Hart blade.
Revisor was also mentioned above and I really like mine. I would happily buy another.

I don't know your budget but I'll assume that you're thinking of a gift (based on it being mid-November)
On the budget spectrum, if your son is looking to start, may I recommend getting a Whipped Dog kit? (Strop & razor)
Follow up with some lapping paper & glass plate and a raw Gold Dollar 66 (~$5) so he can learn to hone. This way he'll have one razor that is sharp & capable with another for learning to hone.

There was some noise about them about a year ago here. They had a bad run with a lot of bad blood. The seemed to have cleaned up a bit from the snippets I've read on their own custom razors...

There are so many good brands out there with good reputations.
Portland & Hart spring to mind for American (with Portland being the more affordable with similar style). I love my Hart blade.
Revisor was also mentioned above and I really like mine. I would happily buy another.

I don't know your budget but I'll assume that you're thinking of a gift (based on it being mid-November)
On the budget spectrum, if your son is looking to start, may I recommend getting a Whipped Dog kit? (Strop & razor)
Follow up with some lapping paper & glass plate and a raw Gold Dollar 66 (~$5) so he can learn to hone. This way he'll have one razor that is sharp & capable with another for learning to hone.

Those are some pretty good suggestions. I was indeed thinking of this as a gift. And of course, being a good father, I would want to buy one for myself to check it out to make sure it was up to snuff.

I am not budget concious for those things I am interested in. Perhaps I should be, but I'm just not. I remember and am satisfied with the value of a purchase. I never think back and take joy from the price. Its value and what that brings that I find interesting.

I think I will abandon the idea of the Blades Grim just based on the gigantic void of information available. The folks on this forum are a very widely dispersed and opinionated group. That's why the advice is so valuable. And if there are no opinions on this particular set of razors, then that tells me what I need to know.

I think I will take stock of local shops here in Phoenix, see what they have, and try to buy something local first. I like supporting mom n pop local business's. I think I have quite a list of candidates based on the forum's here. There are lots of people who stand behind their experience, and I have made a list to go shopping with.

Thanks

Those are some pretty good suggestions. I was indeed thinking of this as a gift. And of course, being a good father, I would want to buy one for myself to check it out to make sure it was up to snuff.

Share the joy.

I am not budget concious for those things I am interested in. Perhaps I should be, but I'm just not. I remember and am satisfied with the value of a purchase. I never think back and take joy from the price. Its value and what that brings that I find interesting.

Yes. I am of the same opinion. So long as it can be afforded to do so in the first place it's good advice.
That being said: money doesn't buy you a better shave. I get quite the satisfaction with using my inexpensive Gold Dollar razor and, when honed, it holds its own against the Hart (despite an embarrassing price multiplier) but it's value proposition doesn't take away from using the Hart to me.

I'm not sure who's in the AZ area but more American razors, beyond Hart Steel & Portland Razor Works would include Brian Brown, Nate's Straights, Joe Edison and Tim Zawada ... If you do a little searching you'll likely find a few posts on here regarding one or the other (many are not cheap). There are a few, like Seraphim here on the forum, who'll tune up a Gold Dollar such that it'll look like it'll fit in better with far more premium blades.

Spikedlemon is right, check brown razor works or nates straights for "production" work, the others are going to be custom one offs that likely have waiting lists and higher than production prices.

Custom makers also include jerry stark, cris a. who had a custom in the sue moore auctions

One of my best shaving razors is a modern Dovo 6/8. The economy model... I got a second one, and it's very good - but not superb. The grinder on the first one definitely had more skill.

However, both of them beat my C135 steel TI (one of their high priced models) by a long shot. The harder steel just doesn't get sharper when stripped on leather. The TI is an extremely pretty razor though. The wood scales and blade polish are both amazing.

And while my better Dovo isn't quite as good of a shaver as my extra hollows from the late 1800s/early 1900s - it's 85% as good.

Everything I've heard about Revisor is good. I suspect it's just like the better Dovos from the early 1900s based on the old guy doing the grinding :).

One of the reasons I find Badger & Blade such a great forum is the great attitude and demeanor of those who respond. In addition to the great attitudes, the depth and width of knowledge is unsurpassed. I have looked at the advice so far and its rock solid and I will take many of your suggestions.

I have located a local shop in my area and my son and I will take a trip there later today perhaps to look at straights and see what a local shop has to offer. It isn't just shaving: its the experience. And part of that is being able to share this with my sons and get them interested as well.

One of the reasons I find Badger & Blade such a great forum is the great attitude and demeanor of those who respond. In addition to the great attitudes, the depth and width of knowledge is unsurpassed. I have looked at the advice so far and its rock solid and I will take many of your suggestions.

I have located a local shop in my area and my son and I will take a trip there later today perhaps to look at straights and see what a local shop has to offer. It isn't just shaving: its the experience. And part of that is being able to share this with my sons and get them interested as well.

Exactly This ^^^^^^^^^^^ I too share the experience with my Sons, at this point we have made Razor Scales and Shave Brushes together and they have begun their journey into the joys of classic style shaving and they are loving it every bit as much as I do. I can only hope that when I am long gone these are the memories they will cherish, this and of course our times out fishing:thumbup:

After getting my first vintage razor just because I liked its looks. I have been reading around the web on straight razors and how to use them, and found that a second razor on hand was almost always recommended. Have found that most modern companies do have some QC issues at some time. As for the Grim Blades, the straightrazorplace site/forum has actually put them on their "Do not buy" list. With the high prices and/or QC uncertainties, I decided on just getting a second vintage blade myself.

If you are still looking for a razor, Jerry Stark from northern Arizona is making a really nice custom product for a pretty reasonable price..as far as custom work goes.

Grim Blades?? I have a 6/8 and it is as well put together as any of my mid range production razors and a sight better than a couple of the T-I blades I have had in the past. It takes and holds an edge well, grind is proper, blade centers and the genuine carbon fiber scales are perfectly fit. Like most, I guess it's possible to get a less-than-great razor no matter who makes it.

Top Bottom