What's new

wool pants

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
No, I don't mean dress slacks, with a crease down the front. I mean causual or work pants, made of wool.

And no, I don't mean the ones that are so thick you can't wear them around on a daily basis unles your idea of "daily basis" means snowshoeing across the Yukon in February.

I mean a nice, moderate-weight casual or work pant you can wear in the winter months and don't have to take off when you come inside.

Who makes 'em?

Where to get 'em?

I'm tired of wearing cotton in the winter and having the wool pulled over my eyes. I'd rather have it pulled over my ...

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
These few may be a start:
Filson Whipcord Wool Pants (midweight)
Orvis Donegal Wool Cargo Pants

Washable Wool Twill Pants

You can also check out Sierra Trading Post every once in a while as their selection changes.

Locally, try shopping the military surplus stores. You may find wool pants from foreign services (Switzerland, German, and Soviet Union come to mind) that are popular with outdoorsmen looking for a deal.

Thanks. It figures that someone in Alaska would know about wool pants. :rolleyes:

I ordered a pair from Orvis ... not the ones linked-to, but a donegal tweed pair in the clearance section. They look pretty spiffy.

I try not to look at STP too much, as I invariably end up looking at Isaia suits, Mulholland bags, Barantani briefcases, Aston shearling, and other things I nether 'need' nor can afford but can probably rationalise myself into buying if I look at them long enough ... :001_huh:

Thanks. It figures that someone in Alaska would know about wool pants. :rolleyes:

I ordered a pair from Orvis ... not the ones linked-to, but a donegal tweed pair in the clearance section. They look pretty spiffy...:

Doc, I have considered those pants. Be sure to let us know how they are.

I have quite a bit of wool. Socks, lots of cycling gear and some underwear that I use when it is cold out or in layering when kayaking or canoeing in the early spring or late fall to early winter. All my favorite sweaters are wool. It is a natural fiber that wicks moisture away from your skin like many of the newer synthetics, but wool unlike the newer synthetics does not stink.

In recent years there have been several manufacturers catering to the niche market that wants wool. The very fine Merino types are so soft they make very comfortable against the skin under garments.:001_smile

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member

I have quite a bit of wool. Socks, lots of cycling gear and some underwear that I use when it is cold out or in layering when kayaking or canoeing in the early spring or late fall to early winter. All my favorite sweaters are wool. It is a natural fiber that wicks moisture away from your skin like many of the newer synthetics, but wool unlike the newer synthetics does not stink.

In recent years there have been several manufacturers catering to the niche market that wants wool. The very fine Merino types are so soft they make very comfortable against the skin under garments.:001_smile

I'll report on the pants when they come, for sure.

I'd love some wool cycling gear too. I love how wool performs when wet (either perspiration or rain!)

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
I ordered a pair from Orvis ... not the ones linked-to, but a donegal tweed pair in the clearance section. They look pretty spiffy.

They arrived today. My initial impressions are favourable. Some thoughts ...

The fabric. Well, it is what it is, Donegal Tweed. So it's thick and warm, but it's not tightly-woven by any means, so I'm not expecting a long-wearing durable future ... mind you, if you want the fabric, you should be reminded of my reaction to nylon shoe laces ... ah yes, they last forever, and they can't hold a proper knot ... so they are crap that won't wear out so I can buy a better replacement ... the moral of the story: sometimes you want the stuff that you want, even if it isn't durable.

The lining ... if you told me these pants were lined front and back all the way down, I probably would have passed. But they seem quite quiet (noise being a big problem with lined pants) and comfortable, so it's fine with me.

Overall fit and finish ... seems good so far. Of course, minor flaws always take time to reveal themselves. ... :001_huh:

Leatherlined pockets ... not sure about these. Perhaps it'd be better with a different colour of leather, but the midbrown leather really stands out, and makes it look like your belt has droopy ears.

Oh, and I opted to have the pants hemmed as well. I think they went a bit long on the measurement, and I'll likely get them hemmed again anyhow. Well, that's better than going short, right?

Overall, good.

MotoMike brings to mind a couple of bike related links that may be fun reading.

Rivendell Bicycle Works was the evangelist of bike oriented wool when all was lycra. Strangely, they have little in the way of wool trousers right now - but Bicycle Fixation has a couple very smart wool knickers (apparently "breeks" to Brits).

Roger

Even during the winter, I still wear cotton dress pants, although that time of year I usually opt for the tighter kint, heavier cottons...

but considering it was over 100° here today, with just as much humidity, I'd have to say that my favorite pants (and shirt for that matter) by FAR are linen. Nothing else out there is as comfortable and looks as good on a day like today.

I might like them for how they feel, and I might like the fact that they almost look better the more wrinkled they are... Either way for me, it is a win, win!:biggrin:

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
Freezing? Isn't anything over 32F considered bathing suit weather up there?

Top Bottom