What's new

Cold weather means Islay

I was wondering what some of the single malt lovers might be thinking of spending their whisky money on as the cold weather approaches. For me, my thoughts usually turn to Islay. I've been disappointed with my old standby Lagavulin in Recent years, as it just doesn't seem to have the same punch or intensity as I remember in the past. I'm thinking about Ardbeg, but they have a large range, and I haven't had them all. Any recommendations? I'm not a fan of the Briney /iodine heavy malts (Laphroig, Bowmore) so if you could keep that in mind that would be great.

Last edited:
You might consider Caol Ila 12, Ardbeg 10, Bunnahabhain 12, Talisker 10 year is very similar to an Islay(although its from Isle of Skye).

You might consider Caol Ila 12, Ardbeg 10, Bunnahabhain 12, Talisker 10 year is very similar to an Islay(although its from Isle of Skye).

Not a Coal Isla fan. I can't remember why, but it just wasn't for me. Maybe it was Briney? I had some Ardbeg 10 recently and it was quite nice. It might be the way I go. I also like Talisker very much, and I had a bottle of the distillers edition that was great. Talisker has got a Peppery character that I like. I think Bunnahabhain is unpeated, and I'm looking for some peat.

Thanks for the advice, it's much appreciated!

I'm not a Laproaig fan, but I do like Talisker very much. I have recently tried Ardbeg 10 and I love it, in fact it's knocked Talisker into the number two spot.

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
Since nobody has mentioned Talisker yet, I'll toss that good recommendation into the ring.

I'm not a Laproaig fan, but I do like Talisker very much. I have recently tried Ardbeg 10 and I love it, in fact it's knocked Talisker into the number two spot.

Chris, I think you and I enjoy the same types of malt Whisky! Ardbeg, Talisker, and Highland Park. I really want something with a strong peat character for the winter months...

It looks like it! I also enjoy the sherry monsters like Glendronach 15, which is my joint favourite along with Ardbeg. It's obviously a very different character but it's also a good winter warmer. I'm going to have to try Ardbeg Uigeadail at some point which sounds like it would go down well too.

I'm the classic Scotch cliche, I started off on the light Speysides, moved onto the sherry-matured ones looking for something richer in flavour, and finally found my way to the islands.

I love Islay's as well. My daily driver for a peat monster is Laphroaig Cask Strength. I also really like Laphroaig 18 for a more refined peat experience. Outside of that the biggies have been hit. Ardbeg (the special releases have been damn goood), Lagavulin (16 and especially the 12yo CS are great), Caol Ila all have some excellent whisky. If you can find it Octomore is a peat freaks dream. It is really unique in a good way but, can be pricey, especially for a 6yo, and rather hard to find.

I migrated from Highlands straight to the Islands. Highland Park 18 is still one of my favorite drams as is Balvenie 21 Portwood. I just found Japanese whisky and have been impressed by the few bottles I have had. They have a pot still flavor almost like a finely tuned Redbreast. Very good stuff if your looking to venture into new directions.

I recently bought a bottle of Ledaig. Great Scotch and a pretty reasonable price . I think it is my new go to peat scotch and I have had almost all of them.

I wish some cold weather would come to town. This was the first time I ever wore shorts on Christmas day!! :huh:

TexLaw

Fussy Evil Genius
I'm an unabashed Laphroaig lover, not that there's any lack of room in my heart for many Islay whiskys.

I'm the classic Scotch cliche, I started off on the light Speysides, moved onto the sherry-matured ones looking for something richer in flavour, and finally found my way to the islands.

I started on the Speysides, took a detour through Tasmania. Jumped across to Skye (Talisker) and Orkney (Hughlamd Park) and fought of the cold in Islay (Lagavulin, Caol Ila, Port Charlotte, Ardbeg), then ambled through Campbelltown, jiggled through Ireland and am now finding myself back in the Highlands trying sherry and port matured expressions.

I started on the Speysides, took a detour through Tasmania. Jumped across to Skye (Talisker) and Orkney (Hughlamd Park) and fought of the cold in Islay (Lagavulin, Caol Ila, Port Charlotte, Ardbeg), then ambled through Campbelltown, jiggled through Ireland and am now finding myself back in the Highlands trying sherry and port matured expressions.
You are indeed a world traveler!! Good show!

I don't care what the weather is like, I always look for Bruichladdich first! If money is no object, try to find one of the Black Arts. You may like their Port Charlotte if you like peat and don't want to pay for the Octomore. I haven't tried it but was told the PC12 was very good.

Top Bottom